Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1970 Topps baseball cello rip

On the hunt high grade Star Basketball.

Comments

• Options
    sushihotwingssushihotwings Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
    Well, I'll save the suspense. I definitely should have looked for fun elsewhere
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Topps did not produce 12-card grocery cellos in 1970 (or any other year in the 1970s, for that matter). Unfortunately, GAI holdered a number of them before realizing that. All of the so-called grocery cellos bear a cert # on back of the holder beginning with 102XXX.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭
    If it were a real 33 card cello, the Bill Hands on front usually should lead to a Rose AS 6 cards underneath it.

As for 12-card cellos, they are aftermarket fabrications.

Dave
  • Options
    sushihotwingssushihotwings Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
    Now you tell me image. Man this hobby can throw some curve balls at times. Good to know for the future
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    The two posters, Grote15 and 70Topps saved me from making the same mistake you made a couple of years ago. I was all set to fall for the 12 card cellos until I read their posts on here and decided I'd pass.
    Just in case you are tempted to purchase some of the 1970 Christmas Racks be advised they are aftermarket also.
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball