Home U.S. Coin Forum

Counterfeit 1909-o $5 ngc au58 on ebay

joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
may the fonz be with you...always...

Comments

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure does not match the NGC pic in the cert verification. I wonder how high this and his steel 1944 cent will go in one day. Bummer, holiday weekend.

bobimage

reported both.
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), [email protected]
  • PaleElfPaleElf Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    Check his feedback. Already received a negative for passing a fake krugerrand.
  • coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Need to work on a mushier O. That one is hammered.
  • TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    It's a nice shiny 58. image

Seller says "There are only 340"

I wonder if he includes his fakes in the count?
  • kazkaz Posts: 9,047 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a prominent depression to the left of the 1 which might be useful to identify these in the future.
  • joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    glad to see nobody bid.
    the coins is a 15k minimum if genuine
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What about the steel 1944 cent?
    I sent him a note yesterday about his auctions. Here was his response:

"It was brought to my attention by another Ebay member that the $5 Indian was possibly a counterfeit - after comparing the photos on the NGC Certificationwebpage & speaking with NGC via telephone, it appears that is the case: a huge let down to say the least. Being that the coin has been in the family for years, I have been sick to my stomach, as I'm sure you could imagine one would be after confirmation of such devastating news...

The Steel penny, however, is authentic. This was confirmed by an expert who I specifically reached out to for help after learning more about the disappointing number of counterfeits being produced and pumped in from China."
    Yeah that just doesn’t get the warm and fuzzes up for it though.
    I responded and told him to pull up the coinfacts.com image of a 1944 Steel Penny and compare his date stamp with an original date stamp, paying particular attention to the "9" on his.
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just told him his 1944 steel cent was fake. I told him I'd contact eBay to take it down if he didn't. Lets see if it stays up.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too bad eBay is the enforcement agency for the Hobby Protection Act.

I'd like to see law enforcement involvement.

If for no other reason than to bring heat on the seller and create a report on him.
  • Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I question if this is a fake. However, judging from the sellers other items, its unusual he would have such a big ticket coin like this.

The obverse marks on the photo above match the NGC photo (contact mark to left of chin and one a bit lower on obverse). Photos appear to have been taken in different light.

Reverse contact marks near beak on reverse appear to match too, although the NGC photo is not as easy to see for that.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
    No I'm not but I can compare what I have with his.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file