Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Beckett Collectors Club Grading? (BCCG)

Does anybody know anything about the standards for this service?
I have the chance to grab some cards that are graded 10 (mint or better) from this service and was wondering if anybody had crossed some cards over or new how the grading standards compared to PSA ?
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Comments

• Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    bccg? what standards?
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    brucemobrucemo Posts: 358
    These second tier services are attempts to compete with PRO for the sleazy dealer market. PRO has a reputation for giving cards that don't deserve it, Becket and SGC are trying to keep the manure off of their feet by redefining the scale, so that "10" means something less than it used to. It's cool. Rather than calling every card a "gem mint 10", they call every card a "looks okay 10". Technically they are not lying, but of course the sleazy dealers are going to compare 10's with 10's, in an effort to get gem mint premiums for a higher percentage of their cards.

If you want to be involved with that, by all means go ahead. Personally, I get enough exposure to poop and vomit from my kids. I don't need to be getting it in the MAIL, too.

bruce
    Collecting '52 Bowman, '53 Bowman B&W, and '56 Topps, in PSA-7.
    Email: brucemo@seanet.com
  • Options
    MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    Hi

Be very careful. These BCCG and PRO 10's are not up to the standards of PSA 10's. Unfortunately, some sellers have gotten involved with grading companies and we, the collectors, are being taken. I've had some PRO 8's and 9's which I would deem to be PSA 6's at best!! CAVEAT EMPTOR! [which means don't buy cards from the shop-at-home TV shows.]
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
  • Options
    Although I do realize almost all is fair in business and companies like PRO are trying to cash in on grading, but it is truley unfortunate that companies like PRO exist because I'm sure some gems pass by the PRO desks and they are slabbed the same way as a NrMt-Mt, PRO 10. Beckett was a company that I used to admire, I still have a subscription to the Baseball monthly, but now they are trying to milk the sudden baseball boom for all it is worth. First, they start the grading company, then they feel the need to start a second baseball monthly, but make it bigger and take content out of the original. Next, they start up BVG, which, quite frankly is not comparable to PSA's grading of vintage cards. And now they are cashing in with the gullable folks who will put a BCCG 10 up to a PSA 10. I look at other company's graded cards at shows, and if it looks nice enough and I like the card, then I'll pick it up, "crack it" and send it to PSA, but I will never buy any company's graded material, other than PSA of course.

*My two cents* Ian
  • Options
    Are you kidding me ?? The BCCG was made soley for Beckett to open their market to tV shopping. Im sure they are partners in a deal with Mr Goldin and Shop at Home. They sell tonage to that program and make a mint on grading those cards alone. Any other sucker...er...consumer who sends in a card to be graded by BCCG is just 'gravey".

All parties invloved know they are deliberately fooling unsavy consumers into buying "Beckett 10's" which they think are the same value are BGS 10. Hell they even quote the BGS 10 & PSA 10 SMR when showing a BCCG 10-

I confronted Beckett at a show about this and they pleaded ingnoant-just like the people who buy that crap

MAY THE GODS OF INSERTS SMILE ON YOU !!!!
    Check out my site athttp://groups.msn.com/Tonytuneshouseofcards

Email me directly at tonytune@aol.com
  • Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭

<< <i>MAY THE GODS OF INSERTS SMILE ON YOU !!!! >>

This is funny...
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    Thanx for the info everybody I thought the service was a little bogus when I saw the card as Mint or better on the grade when it was a 10 but wanted to check here with people who have a little more experience in graded cards than me
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning to dance in the rain.