Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Ship Wreck Notes

Does anyone collect notes from famous ship wrecks the like Andrea Doria or other wrecks?

I know ship wreck notes are more scarce than non-apparent low ball notes. image
PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.

Comments

• Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    I've been interested, but the heavy premium makes me shy away. It would be awesome to have an example, but Id prefer to wait until either more material is released and prices stabilize or an example hits eBay starting at 99c. Would be really cool though!!!
  • Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    These are the only ones I've seen, they are from the Titanic, auctioned in March 2012 at Guernsy NY
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    DanCongDanCong Posts: 196
    I wouldn't mind a few of the Titanic notes, but they are such silly money there is no way I could buy them. I think a piece of dinner ware or a post card sent from the ship would actually be "cooler" - as the item has a more direct link to the disaster. For those notes, it is all provenance, they are inevitably in terrible shape, and honestly not too compelling as objects. I've seen the Andrea Doria note for sale, and they too are in terrible shape and don't really convey the romance of disaster. A treasure coin, or a more durable artifact can still have the ravages of the sea upon them, but appeal more to me than paper money recovered from a safe. While paper money is not strictly a "modern" invention, there aren't very many pirate wrecks or Ming Dynasty wrecks that will have any.
  • Options
    These notes would look cool in graded PCGS slabs , ofcause with a description of the Titanic provenance , otherwise they are only lowball notes.
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
  • Options
    lettowlettow Posts: 80 ✭✭✭

From the sinking of the SS Cape San Juan in WWII.
  • Options
    lettowlettow Posts: 80 ✭✭✭

From the sinking of the Tuscania in WWI.
  • Options
    MEC2MEC2 Posts: 86 ✭✭✭
    I'd go for a shipwreck note at the right price to be sure... I have a small collection of shipwreck coins and it'd fit right in...
  • Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Neat notes to have in a collection, but often times, the asking price of a shipwreck note is impractical.