Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

How do YOU determine your next set to collect?

Hi everyone! This is my first post, I have enjoyed reading everyone's comments on different topics and now I have a topic I would like feedback on.

I want to know what considerations you guys give to starting a brand new set to collect. I have several sets on the Registry near completion but seem to be stalled out in finding the remaining cards. As an avid collector it is torturous to not have something to work on. So, to determine where to start do you:
    Collect cards from your childhood? ?I first started buying packs as a kid in the 70's. The sheer size of these sets scare me!
      Build a set based soley on value?
        Build a set based on what
          the hobby considers desireable?
            Build a set in which you have a chance to have the best set?
              Collect cards that look good to you?

It may sound crazy to some, but I have really struggled with a new set to start. Here is a list of the sets I am currently considering. (All baseball)
                1941 Double Play
                  1954 Bowman
                    1963 Fleer

I look forward to your feedback.
                    missinglinks

Currently working on:
                    *1941 Double Play
                    *500 Home Run Rookie Cards

Always Upgrading
                    *1954 Dan Dee
                    *1959 Fleer Three Stooges

Comments

• Options
                      VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
                      Actually, none of those three sets is highly "sought after" so you should be able to make good progress on them. I think the two biggest factors for me would be collecting what I like and having the money to do so. That would be my advice to you as well. Best wishes no matter what you choose.
                    • Options
                      PlayBallPlayBall Posts: 463 ✭✭✭

Welcome to the boards. As a fellow newbie, who is trying to complete several different sets, here is my rationale for my sets.

1940 Play Ball - Many HOFer's at reasonable prices.
                      1954 Topps - Enjoy the style, color, and 3 great RC's.
                      1973 Topps - Birthyear.
                      1981 Topps - First year I started collecting.

Basically, it comes down to what YOU like. A "big" set from the 70's doesn't offer instant gratification, but it will surely take you on a wild ride.image

Bernie
                      Bernie Carlen

Currently collecting.....your guess is as good as mine.
                    • Options
                      Bernie,

Thanks for the ideas. I may be able to help on your 73 set. I have 20 cards posted on eay currently in 7 and 8, but I have about 120 more coming back from PSA any day, several that have never been grade so feel free to send me a want list.

[E=]thelink@earthlink.net[/E]
                      missinglinks

Currently working on:
                      *1941 Double Play
                      *500 Home Run Rookie Cards

Always Upgrading
                      *1954 Dan Dee
                      *1959 Fleer Three Stooges
                    • Options
                      Welcome.

Finding solid reasons to collect a set is fine. Knowing your piggy bank is the most important thing to consider.

Since most of us like almost everything, the sets you finally settle on will "feel" right to you. Only you will know why. Like others, I've begun some sets only to abandon them. Somehow, I found my enthusiasm lacking for one reason or another. Eventually, you'll settle on one or more, and the process will repeat itself when it's time to start others. Have fun.
                      Dom

If I'm buying it's PRICELESS. If I'm selling, it's WORTHLESS.

Looking for 1984 Donruss -
                      #238 Keith Hernandez PSA 10
                      -----------------and
                      #637 Omar Moreno PSA 9 or 10.

• Options

<< <i>Actually, none of those three sets is highly "sought after" >>

The 1963 Fleer baseball set is extremely popular.
                    • Options
                      thegemmintmanthegemmintman Posts: 3,101 ✭✭
                      Missinglink, welcome! I think the advice being given to you is solid. Collect what you like, watch your budget, go after smaller sets if that's what you think you can finish, make sure there is availability if you want a high grade set. Personally I like your '63 Fleer choice.

Also I would like to just add that your collecting 1964 Topps Giants shows extremely good taste, and you will go far in the hobby! There are quite a few of us here who collect them. image
                    • Options
                      FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
                      Missinglink,

Agreed on the points listed above - but I wouldn't shy away from the "big" sets if that is your passion. As long as you realize that its just going to take you longer - don't bid stupidly - and stick to a budget, the larger sets can really be enjoyable. My 72 set was 2 years in graded form and now I'm going back and forth as to whether I work on the 70 or 68 sets. I've made good progress on 70, but the prices on some 68 cards have come down to very reasonable levels for someone who only has 25% graded so far.

So, pick what you like - only spend what you can afford - and enjoy the ride for however long it takes you!!!
                      Frank Bakka
                      Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
                      Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
                      outerbankyank on eBay!
                    • Options
                      gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
                      Yes, collect the sets you like the most keeping your budget in mind. The sportscard market is very fluid as far as values go. If you collect your favorite set(s), then you don't need to worry about making a profit. I think high grade vintage sets are a sound long term investment but I don't rely on it for my retirement.
                    • Options
                      1941 Double Play
                      1954 Bowman
                      1963 Fleer

The good thing about the 1963 Fleer is it's only 67 cards and contains nothing that's very expensive. Top card will be a few hundred dollars for a 7 checklist or a major star or two in an 8. A nice mixed 7 and 8 set will be pretty easy to asemble, you just have to wait for the cards to come around at a price you want to pay. There are a lot of people collecting this set because it's a nice easy one. It will also hold it's value pretty well. You can also pick up raw cards very easily that will 7.

The 1954 Bowman is nice in that you have no difficult high numbers or cards. Everything will be obtainable, but not as easily as the Fleer. Again, a nice mix of 7 and 8's is very respectable. The only difficulty will be when you want to buy the Mantle Mays and Williams. Technically you don't have to buy a Williams, but a 54 Bowman really isn't a set without one. After those three it's much less painfull. You will find less competition for these than the Fleer. This set will also hold it's value pretty well.

1941 Double Play will be a tough one. There's been a few decent sized submissions, but most are stashed away in collections. You typically won't find a whole lot at any one time, just one or two here and there. This set will be quite a challenge. The highs are very tough. You would probably be better off going after a range from 5 to 7 on these, and 8's if they come about. At the 5 and 6 level, you may have luck finding raw cards to submit if you're persistent. You can always upgrade the 5's and 6's if the opportunity comes about, but if you pass on them now, you will probably be sorry a few years from now that you didn't pick them up as fillers. Yes, a few years. Nothing terribly expensive in the 5 to 6 range, but it will get a bit more competitive in the 7 and 8 range. If you shop wisely this will be a good investment, as very few sets will ever be assembled. Not the most popular set, but a complete set would interest people who might not otherwise have interest in it.

• Options
                      19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
                      Jeremy,
                      I think you need to trash can those ideas and start with a real set.......1992 Topps Stadium Club. The Nolan Ryan in the Tux is going to be hard to find in a PSA 8. Good to finally see that you joined the club. I have told you all along that you need to do a 1973 Topps Set. This set is very undervalued and many great deals can be found. I have 400 of them down at PSA right now and this will be a great opportunity to pick some up.
                      If I were you on a serious note, I would do one of the three Red Man Tobacco sets. This is right up our alley with regards to difficulty and extreme value. Great set and big potential for a good return.

That is my say.....be patient.

Leo
                      Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
                    • Options
                      aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
                      Mr. "1954,"

I'm honored that you mentioned the red man sets. I collect them and they are tough to find.
                      Do you have any experience with obtaining, trading, or selling these cards? I was curious
                      to your comment:

<< <i>If I were you on a serious note, I would do one of the three Red Man Tobacco sets. This is right up our alley with regards to difficulty and extreme value. Great set and big potential for a good return. >>

I always like to hear other collectors views (good or bad) about these cards. And coming from
                      a collector of "big time" small sets I was wondering your thoughts.

Also, if you or missinglink does start one of these sets try to save me some Psa 8's!image

When can we see the 71 greatest moments set?image

aconte
                    • Options
                      After consulting with the members on this board, I went with the criteria of:

#1) Eye appeal
                      #2) Star power
                      #3) Affordability
                      #4) Size
                      and
                      #5) My weird personal pet peeve: Very few or no horizontal cards, unless the entire set is horizontal

Therefore, I'm starting with the 64 Topps Giants, as it ranks high on all 5 of my criterias.

Then, I'm collecting key cards from sets that I think is attractive, and no doubles of any players, hoping to get a card of all the HOF'ers in the modern era, totaling to 100 cards:

1) A few 53 Topps and 53 Bowman Color
                      2) 57 Topps and 61 Topps (about 12 cards from each set)
                      3) 63, 66, 68, 74 and 76 Topps, then about 12 cards from the 80's

After that, I may tackle the HOF Player and Manager Set. Or try to go after the rest of the 63 Topps. I have to keep reminding myself to be patient, and that this is a long term plan. For now, the 64 Topps Giants is the priority, and are picking cards from other sets if a good deal is available. By just getting the key cards, it is more affordable than building a set and the star cards are readily available on ebay. This will be a good learning curve as I need to build my patience before going after the rest of the set, whether it be the HOF set or the 63 Topps.

Fred
                    • Options
                      I love the horizontal cards.
                    • Options
                      Horozontal cards are nice, but I agree, there should be none or the entire set should horozontal. The '74 is a nice set with a few horo's splashed in.

- Ian
                    • Options
                    • Options
                      This one's not a "9", but it's my favorite from the set as far as visual appeal goes.

• Options
                      helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
                      I think there are horiz cards in that 51B set of some guys named Mantle and Mays that are pretty nice as well. In general I like horizontal cards as long as the picture works well with it. If you look through your early 70s Topps sets, a lot of the horizontal cards show a lot of game action which make for a nice break from the chest-up portraits and posed sideline shots. But some sets, like Fleer or Upper Deck, just have horizontal pictures for the heck of it.

I'm working on 2 PSA sets right now that take up most of my funds, but I'm already looking forward to starting a new one in a year or so when I've completed one. The criteria for decision include price, overall appeal of the design, availability, and ROI, if I ever decide to sell it. I'd love to have a 1980T or 1992B or even a 2001 Topps Heritage, and I'm sure it's possible to build them in 9 affordably relative to older sets, but at even $6 per card it's probably not a smart investment. So it'll probably be another 70s set, or even going back before my birth to 1963.
                      WANTED:
                      2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
                      2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
                      Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
                    • Options
                      19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
                      I think the 1952-4 Redman set is a REAL sleeper. I have a couple psa 8 cards from the 1952 set, however I have not considered doing this one yet. Skerbe has some really nice pSA 7 cards for sale right now. As for the 1971 Topps Greatest Moments set, it is in hidding for another couple of months until I get a big deal done. I do have some extras from this awesome set in PSA 7's and PSA 8's. If anyone is interested in getting some of these let me know.

Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases