Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

As a buyer on ebay,,,,,do you have a preference as to the background

AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
color on coins? I see that some sellers like vette use the same color year after year and auction after auction. Does this help you as a buyer in any way??

Do you prefer a color or white or black?

Just trying a new camera setup and got to thinking on ebay sales viewing.

bobimage

Blue background, MS63 or so

White background, VAM 10 for those looking

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

Comments

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your letting our secrets out, most just use the bed sheets.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rather have the white. But prefer blk for silver and gold.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rather have the white. But prefer blk for silver and gold.
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It helps if you build a customer base. They can more easily/quickly recognize your auctions.

You'll know you're successful when your "color" is copied by other sellers.
  • Options
    PaleElfPaleElf Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DNADave

It helps if you build a customer base. They can more easily/quickly recognize your auctions.

You'll know you're successful when your "color" is copied by other sellers.

Agree. There are a number of sellers whose auctions I can pick out by just the pictures. Good for the good sellers as I will often continue to check out their auctions. Bad for the sellers that I will never buy from again. I can pick out Resco's photos just scrolling through the auctions and always check out his auctions.
  • Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    I like your white background. I just use the dining table.
    Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I prefer a dark backdrop for silver/gold also.
  • Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tend to know which sellers are which just from the pics too. I can even tell when it's the lighting on the coin. Some are washed out or too bright and its like, "yup, it's xxxx".

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    I remember there is a seller "coinsbybobby" that uses a red background that sells proof sets with his DCAM stock photos.

When I used to look for those, I could skip the red background listings.
  • Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭✭✭
    black background is best.......

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No - its the coin I am interested in.
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use a powder blue similar to Cougar1978's avatar backround above. It's pretty neutral and helps people identify my listings from others.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    Bob1951Bob1951 Posts: 268 ✭✭
    I am not going to pay more for the coin no matter what the background is. I am interested in the coin only. I do not care or even notice the background.
  • Options
    zippcityzippcity Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭
    Of the 2 pics provided in the OP, I would have to pick the white back round. To answer the question, the back round color for me is irrelevant.
    Save our Country. Positive BST: Collectorcoins- Mariner020648- profharoldhill- coppertoning- agentjim007- cucamongacoin- ElKevo- mercurydimeguy- Utahcoin-AJAAN-AUandAG- surfinxhi- ZoidMeister- TwoSides2acoin-
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: VanHalen
    I prefer a dark backdrop for silver/gold also.

ditto
  • Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is an interesting topic that I have considered too and I think in regards to silver and gold coins there is a sort of consensus.

I have purchased many coppers on ebay. More than silver coins by far. For silver I will defer to earlier comments, and do agree that blue seems to flatter silver coins the most imho. I have no experience buying gold on ebay.

With copper, to me a red background is flattering to the coin.

I have noticed that when buying copper from a seller using green, black, blue or yellow as a background it is much harder to imagine the "true" color. To my eye green is the least desirable with copper, and in descending order blue, black and then yellow.

I do recognize many sellers immediately from the images posted and depending on whether I have had good success at determining the "true" color from their pics I will either pass immediately or peruse further.

Your example of "vette" is very interesting since I noticed very soon after beginning searches on the bay for copper, that I could spot them instantly due to the background color and texture of his listings also. Possibly just because he lists a large number consistently.

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know one thing, I would like to see the stash of coins vette, hocey, and macvanderstein have been selling from.

The one thing that strikes me is when a seller actually has decent photos of a coin, which is a nice change of pace from blurry smartphone pics.
    MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

white.

nice large and sharp/clear pics.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a seller, I know what I like. image

As a buyer, the quality of the photograph and the lighting technique are more important than the background by 100:1. In general, I prefer white or black. I also like consistency. Some dealers use an unholy mix of photos from many sources. Doing that makes it harder to guess what it will actually look like in-hand.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sandpaper works well. Seriously just good contrast with the coin showed.
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    I've seen lime green and black so far, no effort on my part, the background just changes as I search. Another ebay we know what you want.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file