Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Another RC card triples in price

PSA 7 1957 Johnny Unitas RC has gone from around $1100 at the beginning of May to $3550

Comments

• Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    The premium for centering has become the seat directly behind home plate.
  • Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is definitely the exception and not the rule. Actually $1100 is high for that card.
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    DanBessetteDanBessette Posts: 6,422
    A rookie card card you say?
  • Options
    mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭
    Vintage HOF RC's just seem the rage right now. I only wish I would have held onto mine.
    PackManInNC
  • Options
    mb2005mb2005 Posts: 165 ✭✭
    Another PSA 8 RC triples in price:

1960 Topps Yastrezemski, was an 800 to 1000 dollar card a few weeks ago, now over $3000
  • Options
    foozfooz Posts: 21
    I was bidding on a PSA 8 Yaz a month or so ago right around $800, now it's out of my price range... craziness!!

Even the Yaz PSA 7 doubled.

• Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    A Luis Aparicio PSA 7 sold for $390 on eBay Sunday night. That was a $200 card or less a few months ago.
  • Options
    Yeah, I thought I was close on that one. Bid accordingly, right? I felt like Wile E. Coyote chasing Roadrunner. :-/
  • Options
    I bid $302 and didn't think there was a chance in hell I was losing. I was going to crack it for a signing too.
  • Options
    Dang. A Roadrunner & several rabbits. We shall commiserate this one.
  • Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At this rate, im never going to finish my HOF post war rookie set.
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭
    The meteoric rise in rookie card prices is insane. I will confidently go on record as saying this will not continue and to some extent it will come crashing back down. I have been there, done this many times before in my line of work.

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • Options
    DanBessetteDanBessette Posts: 6,422
    On the back of the RC cards I always look at the minor league stats, like RBI's batted in.
  • Options
    mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DanBessette

On the back of the RC cards I always look at the minor league stats, like RBI's batted in.

Nice nice!!image

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DanBessette

I think someone just won post of the month and it's only the 7th image
  • Options
    kingbeeswaxkingbeeswax Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭
    Johnny Bench rookies in PSA 8 have tripled! I knew I should have gotten a bunch last year
  • Options
    ZTargZTarg Posts: 497 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: kingbeeswax

Johnny Bench rookies in PSA 8 have tripled! I knew I should have gotten a bunch last year

A buncha Bench?

• Options
    Autos4AlexAutos4Alex Posts: 442 ✭✭✭
    Not like tennis cards. This 2001 Federer 4x6 sized card just sold for $3,383

This card has sold 3x this year. First time was in February for about 20 bucks, last time a few months back it sold for $3 plus shipping.

That's a 1000x increase! Or maybe sometimes people just over pay for cards image
  • Options
    A bunch of Bench on Johnny's Bench's 'Baseball Bunch':

• Options
    Originally posted by: ZTarg

Originally posted by: kingbeeswax

A buncha Bench?

Haha yes a buncha Bench would be nice right now. Maybe 8 or 9 of them so I could make a Brady Bunch title intro with them.

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "The meteoric rise in rookie card prices is insane. I will confidently go on record as saying this will not continue and to some extent it will come crashing back down. I have been there, done this many times before in my line of work"

I agree.

But just think about this.

What if. I mean what if.

All those people who pushed the market so hard in the era of 1987-1993 that invested and created such a demand for sports cards came back. Now we know they got scared away because of over production. What if that large group came back today? I'd guess we would see prices like this or higher for truly scarce items and key issues. I think it might go higher. Scary to say.
  • Options
    Yeah I really can't see most of these major star rookie cards in high grade going down, or down too much. A lot of people that are buying are putting them away for a while or buying flip for a higher price. Some collector's will also hold on to them for life. I know they are hot right now but they might max out and stay at the high price for a while if anything, but probably will keep climbing.
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    These cards are selling where they should be.... Greatest hobby on the planet! Well maybe next to cars lol
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Have to throw out any sales by PWCC or probstein

Ahem...well Just the 'high' sales, as well as the low sales when "averaging" image
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
  • Options
    This one is not a RC, but this has to be fake, right? From $69 in May to over $350 now? A 5X increase?
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: mb2005

This one is not a RC, but this has to be fake, right? From $69 in May to over $350 now? A 5X increase?

I'm not good at figuring this out like many on the boards here are, but in your example, is the bidder w/ 150 feedback shilling it up or do those bids look legit?
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: miwlvrn
    Originally posted by: mb2005

I'm not good at figuring this out like many on the boards here are, but in your example, is the bidder w/ 150 feedback shilling it up or do those bids look legit?

Bids look legit to me, chipping not shilling. I would guess this is one of the newer Chinese collectors since most of the bidding history is in Asian money.
  • Options
    Nah, Jordan cards are ultra hot. That's legit.
  • Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: smallstocks
    The meteoric rise in rookie card prices is insane. I will confidently go on record as saying this will not continue and to some extent it will come crashing back down. I have been there, done this many times before in my line of work.

As I predicted, the 1955 Clemente has dropped significantly in the last couple of weeks vs. late May - mid July when it peaked. PSA 8 from $90,000+ to $50,000+ and PSA 7 from $23,000 or so to as low as around $12,000 now. Bubbles almost always burst!

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • Options
    Fool's gold, I can see PSA 10's going for stupid amounts of money as less than a handful exist. Looking at the above examples....just plain lunacy, if they can be proven sales.