Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Collecting Panini Boxing Stickers SMR Article....

There is a great article featured this month in the SMR that focus's on the Panini boxing stickers.

Here are the scans for those that don't receive the magazine at home.

Comments

• Options
    RingKingRingKing Posts: 29 ✭✭
    Love this article. Love Panini boxing. Soooo many great rookies at a time with so few boxing cards being produced. I thought the article was very good but really overlooked the amazing 1981 set. It is to modern boxing what 1986 Fleer is to modern basketball. It contains rookies of Hall of Famers Sugar Ray Leonard, Tommy Hearns, Marvin Hagler, Larry Holmes, Wifredo Gomez, Wilfredo Benitez, Salvador Sanchez and Matthew Saad Muhammad not to mention a second-year card of Roberto Duran. Insane boxing star power in that set.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got a call from Jackie shortly before it ran and they didn't have any collectors that they had talked to that had any graded examples. That does sound like a great set.
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Dpeck100

I got a call from Jackie shortly before it ran and they didn't have any collectors that they had talked to that had any graded examples. That does sound like a great set.

I am shocked that they ran a boxing article that did not include any interview input from Ron, unless they called to request and he turned them down.

• Options
    Originally posted by: miwlvrn
    Originally posted by: Dpeck100

I am shocked that they ran a boxing article that did not include any interview input from Ron, unless they called to request and he turned them down.

I think Kevin who wrote the article is a free lance writer and perhaps that is why he wasn't involved. Clearly that collector has quite a boxing collection. Perhaps the best.

• Options
    scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭
    I thought it was a well done article (since I'm the Scott quoted a few times in it, I might be a bit biased!). I thought it was cool to have many of my cards (many of the 1966-67s) featured in the article. Great sets that are very underappreciated in my (again, biased) opinion!

As for the 1981s, I don't have any in my collection, for no reason other than I acquired a big collection in whole, and it didn't have any from that year. So I couldn't contribute any cards from that year to be pictured in the article. I know many collectors who are on the lookout for the 1981 cards though - it's a great set!
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    I would have been happy to share the sugar ray I have graded. It was a good article. I like to see these oddball sets get some mainstream press. I remember getting into a bidding war with Dpeck on the Tyson Panini years ago. Boxing cards were virtually worthless at the time unless they were 48 leaf or 51 ringside. I couldn't believe someone else was bidding on it. I think I bowed out at 60 bucks. Unfortunately for me it was before I knew about snipe services.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    Originally posted by: eagles33
    I would have been happy to share the sugar ray I have graded. It was a good article. I like to see these oddball sets get some mainstream press. I remember getting into a bidding war with Dpeck on the Tyson Panini years ago. Boxing cards were virtually worthless at the time unless they were 48 leaf or 51 ringside. I couldn't believe someone else was bidding on it. I think I bowed out at 60 bucks. Unfortunately for me it was before I knew about snipe services.

$82 was the winning bid! The reason I found this forum was doing a Google search looking for more info on the Tyson sticker. image

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: eagles33

And here I am wondering how Panini sets like these could be considered oddball instead of mainstream image

That's why I've gotten into the foreign-issue stuff. It just holds my interest more to be on the search for things far far "odder" than Panini lately.