Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Prinsenthaler & VOC ship coin

Just bought these 2 coins in a local dutch auction.

collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like 'em both, particularly the thaler/daalder.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great write up. Love the rampant lion on Daaler reverse.
  • STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Very nice, especially the Zeeland. Great image of the ship and the "don't clip me" inscription is fun too.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Funny. Considering my admiration for the Dutch, I never thought to acquire something of Wilhelmus van Nassouwe, ben ik van Duitsen bloed.
    Love the coin. Maybe I will be on the lookout for one, myself!
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    Yes, he was of german orign , and he always honered the King of Spain (a friend & an old classmate)although King Philip II send a sniper killer to his home in Delft the Prinsenhof , where he was shot and killed.
    What are friends for image
    Is there some dutch blood running through your vanes Harasha ?
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
    PS- you can't ever go wrong with a ship coin.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My original response was too OT, but though I have no Dutch blood, as far as I know (though my father's family did set sail from Rotterdam, on their way to America), I do have much affection for the Netherlands.
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • PatARPatAR Posts: 347 ✭✭✭
    Those ship 6 stuivers and the larger Nederlandse Maagd coins are my favorite early Netherlands coins.

Nice writeup! I found the explanation of the inscription ITA RELINQUENA UT ACCEPTA especially interesting.

Also, ITA RELINQUENA UT ACCEPTA kinda rolls off the tongue. I wonder if I can fit that into a conversation... image
    Originally posted by: harasha

My original response was too OT, but though I have no Dutch blood, as far as I know (though my father's family did set sail from Rotterdam, on their way to America), I do have much affection for the Netherlands.

One of the earliest ancestors I was able to find a direct link to when I was playing with Ancestry.com was from the Netherlands, around the time of the first coin in the OP (i.e., 1590s). If memory serves me, that family name was Terwilliger.

• SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice ones Andres. Still on a buying spree? image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    Thats an understatement , just bought 20 lots on 2 local sites , many with multiple ancient coins ,mostly Tetradrachms

My ancestors came from Germany in the 16th century , they mainly settled along the Rhine river, I still live at the shore of that river, not much movement in almost 500 years image