Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Wilhelmina Powerful and Defiant

harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
I am assembling photos of my Wilhelmina collection. Never translated the obverse legend till now. And wow. Consider the times. Consider the obverse legend. Then consider the image on the reverse. Maybe much more than a 40th Anniversary medal!

Obv: My shield and reliance art Thou, o G-D, my Lord (from the Dutch national anthem)

imageimage
Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD

Comments

• Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭
    I really like the reverse. Thanks
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice medal-

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    Great medal image
    I think that sword belongs to the dutch lion.

collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two years before the German invasion. Sadly appropriate foreshadowing, I'd say.

For some reason, the first thing I thought of when I saw that reverse was the cover of Toto's 1978 debut album. image

Aethelred and I had (well, still have) a friend who was/is a huge Toto fan.

(Did you know that was Tim's favorite band, Michael? And he was a music major, so I guess that's something.)

I liked 'em OK in the '80s. They were a pretty good group.

But I digress. image

PS- while blathering on about Toto, I forgot to say "nice medal", which of course it is.

PPS- to continue blathering on, here's the big hit off that Toto album. imageimage

The title "Hold the Line" (though not the lyrics) sort of fits the theme of the medal and that period in history, don't you think?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hurry boy, it's waiting there for you.
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    Originally posted by: harasha

Hurry boy, it's waiting there for you.

Love that song, though I'm not quite sure why. Maybe because I used to live in Africa.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    Did you live in South Africa , Rob
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I knew I saw that reverse design somewhere - NIOBE

• Options
    Originally posted by: Andres

Did you live in South Africa , Rob

No, though I spent about two weeks there. We ended up in Tanzania for a year.

Z- that sure is a minimalistic design, but it works, somehow (Just as does harasha's medal in the OP). I like the gentle waves on the water. It's very melancholy and appropriate to a memorial of a loss at sea. I was unfamiliar with the type, and like it very much. The late, great Newbiecollector would've approved, and might've liked something like that for his ship-themed collection.