Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

63 Rose Cards

I have been looking at recent pricing for Rose rookie cards and they seem crazy. I think that there was a psa 8 which went for $16,000. Am I missing something?
PackManInNC

Comments

• Options
    SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭
    I thought that card was waaaaay undervalued in PSA 8 last year. I didn't pull the trigger, but I'm in agreement that that card is a must have for a lot of collectors.
    Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    Approximately 40 examples of this card graded a PSA 8 have been sold since the beginning of last year at a variable, but understandable price level. A sudden spike sees the most recent 2 selling for 16,700 & 16,000, around a 3X to 4X increase, and it would seem safe to think more will follow amid a sense of urgency to acquire before all hurkly-jurkly explodes and messes up gravity.
  • Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    I prefer his 70's cards and 1980. Although I own a nice Rose rookie it is one butt ugly card. I never cared for the multi-person cards.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    Probably the hottest card in the hobby right now. One of my all time favorites !!
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, I didn't realize how hot these are. I have an sgc 8.5. I wonder if it would cross.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    mrmint23mrmint23 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭
    Can't have enough Roses.

• Options
    mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭
    Wow! Wonder if it is time to sell.
    PackManInNC
  • Options
    mrmint23mrmint23 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭
    Everything is for sale
  • Options
    Originally posted by: craig44
    Wow, I didn't realize how hot these are. I have an sgc 8.5. I wonder if it would cross.

Let's see it
  • Options
    So in this current selling frenzy, what would a psa 7 bring?
    PackManInNC
  • Options
    Ashes to ashes we all fall down. Who will be left holding the bag?
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    What is his Topps 1964 Rookie Banquet "card" going for these days ?
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    There are 400 PSA 8's!
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are the high numbers significantly more rare in 63, or is this upswing more about the popularity of the player?

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: bishop

$3.12 in PSA 10. image

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: bobsbbcards
    Originally posted by: bishop

$3.12 in PSA 10. image

I'll take 10 please image Last one I saw come up for sale (several years ago now) it was $2000-2500. Since it's not a mainstream Topps issue, appreciation would be much slower than his rookie. Still probably a $12-15K card, at least.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: mexpo75
    So in this current selling frenzy, what would a psa 7 bring?

Not sure but this one sure looks like a 8 to me

Rose
  • Options
    Originally posted by: CrissCriss

Uh, yeah honey, there will be a correction.

Until then, it's a haboob.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: CrissCriss
    400 PSA 8's, each worth $15,000-20,000? My God. Uh, yeah honey, there will be a correction.

First of all none of us know where the market for specific cards is going. I don't think anyone could have predicted the meteoric rise in so many of these cards. That said if someone listened to you they would have pulled a Mint Moon Dog and missed this entire run. It would seem plausible that a correction will come but using the supply logic doesn't necessary work. A Jordan in a PSA 9 has more than tripled in the past two years and there is obviously no shortage of those. One key card that looked like it had topped was the Joe Montana. It had backed off from 15k to 12k only to set a fresh record at 18k. Bull markets are built on skepticism, expand on optimism and end with euphoria. In reality all we see is skepticism so there is no telling how this plays out.

• Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    This one is no 10 but hope Larkin is closer than Bob

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    The naysayers have been predicting this so-called inevitable correction for years. 1 year ago, 2 years ago, hell-I even remember seeing some guys talk about the crazy prices the Dmitri Young collection brought and saying there's no way those prices would be sustainable. Of course there will probably be a leveling off point in the future, but, as dpeck said, if everyone had sold off a year ago when so many were talking about it already hitting the ceiling, then we would have lost out on a huge spike.

Regarding the Rose, I hadn't looked at the latest auctions to see what they are fetching and I saw that an 8.5 brought in an astounding $42,000 a couple weeks ago. This made me very happy! :-)

The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ClockworkAngel
    Regarding the Rose, I hadn't looked at the latest auctions to see what they are fetching and I saw that an 8.5 brought in an astounding $42,000 a couple weeks ago. This made me very happy! :-)

The person who bought it is very happy with it as well.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: LarkinCollector

Where was he three months earlier when it went for $11k lol
  • Options
    I cannot believe it! I can actually sell my PSA 7 and make a great profit! I'll probably get greedy and wait and miss my chance.
    PackManInNC
  • Options
    schapkoschapko Posts: 341 ✭✭
    Originally posted by: mexpo75
    I cannot believe it! I can actually sell my PSA 7 and make a great profit! I'll probably get greedy and wait and miss my chance.

I hear you. I bought my PSA 7 for just over $1,000 less than 2 years ago and if I wasn't such a collector I'd really think about selling it. I just have a hard time getting rid of such an iconic card. All we need now is for every planet to align and have Pete get into the HOF! Then his cards will double from where they are now again!
    Buying 75 Topps Reg. Size PSA 9
    1975 Topps Registry Set "Scott's 75 Topps Set"
  • Options
    ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

Yes that person is and it goes well with the rest of his collection.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: ugaskidawg

Yes that person is and it goes well with the rest of his collection.

Huh? 8***b pays 3x the price from 3 months prior for an 8.5? and he's happy? The underbidder has 16 retractions, and he's happy? He paid $13K more than a PSA 9 went for a week prior to his auction. That's a lot of risk for a "bump-play", and still well over PSA 9 pricing.

The only word that comes to my mind is moranic; not happy.

I love the card also, but no way I would use this sale as a harbinger of the demand.

Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options
    But, what's funny about your comment is that the same ridicule and consternation was being bandied about at other intervals in time while people were cleverly brushing aside those comments in favor of hunting and gathering. Who may laugh last will laugh best.
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Sdub

• Options
    Originally posted by: travis t

But, what's funny about your comment is that the same ridicule and consternation was being bandied about at other intervals in time while people were cleverly brushing aside those comments in favor of hunting and gathering. Who may laugh last will laugh best.

What's funny about your comment is you offer no evidence of a similar card in the 4-5 digit price range going 3X more than is sold for 3 months prior; and more than a card that is .5 grade higher.

This particular sale is a scam to the highest degree. Believe me, I'll be laughing last if these kind of sales hold up, i have more PSA 9's in the early 70's than most people can dream of.

Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options
    I don't know the buyer from Adam. You will likely get some kind of response supporting his decision to buy at such a price. I salivate at the anticipation of more high grade Rose nuggets coming ashore just to watch the activity it creates.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: bobsbbcards

Originally posted by: Sdub

Ok, this was funny, too.
  • Options
    cardcountrycardcountry Posts: 569 ✭✭✭
    People said I was crazy when I paid $13k for a 55 Clemente Psa 8 3 years ago. It was nearly double the highest sale at that time.
    There are a lot of guys with real interest in these cards. The public sales are now catching up to what has been going on privately for awhile now. Big money is being paid for high end cards- they're just not recorded in vcp.

Jeff
    Jeff Foy/Dave Foy
    Card Country
    Graded stars 1950's-1980
  • Options
    Originally posted by: travis t

I don't know the buyer from Adam. You will likely get some kind of response supporting his decision to buy at such a price. I salivate at the anticipation of more high grade Rose nuggets coming ashore just to watch the activity it creates.

Right. I was clear that I love Charlie Hustle and I love this card. I also believe in the right to pay whatever absurd amount you want for a card.

But this particular sale has shilling/fraud/manipulation/retractions written all over it. If I could short this sale, I would.

Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options
    Did you ever notice how if you separate the word "conspiracy" into 2, you get "cons" and "piracy"?
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rofl @ some of you guys. There's definitely some morAnic activity transpiring in this thread, but I assure you none of it is linked to the proud owner of said 8.5 Rose. So very rich to armchair hate when you have no earthly idea who you are attempting to stone. If you were privy, you'd set aside your slingshots and genuflect, because 8***b just so happens to be a shining ray of light in this oftentimes filthy ass hobby of ours.
  • Options
    cardcountrycardcountry Posts: 569 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: galaxy27
    Rofl @ some of you guys. There's definitely some morAnic activity transpiring in this thread, but I assure you none of it is linked to the proud owner of said 8.5 Rose. So very rich to armchair hate when you have no earthly idea who you are attempting to stone. If you were privy, you'd set aside your slingshots and genuflect, because 8***b just so happens to be a shining ray of light in this oftentimes filthy ass hobby of ours.

I totally agree Stephen. He is top notch. I actually know a few people who were heavily in on this card, and other cards that have recently been in the spotlight. I myself have been in on some. We should remember that we need people who will pay strong numbers for cards (and dealers/auction houses that get strong prices). Without them, our cards would never increase in price.

Jeff
    Jeff Foy/Dave Foy
    Card Country
    Graded stars 1950's-1980
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A Picasso can run you 160 million. It isn't that shocking that someone is willing to pay this price for a beautiful Pete Rose rookie. Heck the buyer might be able to afford a Picasso. Cards in slabs transform into art that you can hold in your hand. I spent a few minutes last night gazing at a recent purchase in hand and while 99% of people probably think it was a stupid price for the card it was worth every penny to me.
  • Options
    And if I wanted to gaze lovingly at an image which could put a chokehold on my emotions, I'd buy a huge Labrador Retriever puppy poster.
  • Options
    spazzyspazzy Posts: 592 ✭✭
    You may want to consider a 63 rose psa 7.5. The ones I have seen are really on the brink of 8s
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Probstein has a beautiful, well-centered 7 that's already at $6k, with several days to go.
  • Options
    Ride the wave!
    PackManInNC
  • Options
    Just an FYI fellas.....'63 Topps #537 Rose Rookie PSA 8, serial # 20611394 is currently being offered by a person in Denmark using stolen scans from the original sale on eBay. It has been reported. Please do the same if you happen to take a look.