Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Chinese 1903 "Pattern" Coin????

Hi, someone recently gave me a coin that I've found very difficult to research. I have found that some Pattern Tael coins were minted in Tianjin in 1903, but I haven't been able to find much more on the coin. I realize it's corroded, but I'm wondering if it's worth at least sending in to have authenticated. Any Chinese coin experts who can help me out with some info?

image[/IMG]

image[/IMG]

Thanks

Successful BST Transactions with several members.

Comments

• Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    I'd be curious to know the weight of the coin. My gut reaction is that it is a modern forgery that someone exposed to harsh chemicals to make it look old.
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    Both Diameter & weight please, looks like a forgery as CIVITAS already mentioned.
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    terrym280terrym280 Posts: 103 ✭✭
    Hi,

The coin weighs 28 grams (1 ounce) and 31.8 mm (1 1/4" in diameter).

Thanks for taking a look at it.

Terry
  • Options
    Are you sure ? Diameter should be 39 mm - weight max 27 gram
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    I'm using a small postage scale (that does both oz. and grams), so it could be off a little. I checked again and it came up as 26 grams. I know someone that has a better scale, so I 'll run it by there and get a more accurate weight.

Edited: I weighed it on a digital coin scale and it weighs 27.1 grams (.955 ounces). It's also 1 3/4" (44.4499999 mm). It's a large coin!
  • Options
    Dragon silver Tael Hu Poo 1903

Compare this original coin (click on the pic) with your coin
  • Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just mentioning an obvious test: have you tried a magnet? Because that really looks like rust.

Plenty of fake/fantasy Chinese dollars are made of steel and will stick to a magnet. No genuine ones will stick to a magnet.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    Sapyx,

Great suggestion! I put a magnet on the coin and it stuck! It's a fake (unless they tried to make pattern coins that stick to magnets (lol). Thanks to all who provided input.

Terry
  • Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: CIVITAS

I'd be curious to know the weight of the coin. My gut reaction is that it is a modern forgery that someone exposed to harsh chemicals to make it look old.