Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Can SGC ever close the price gap?

Having seen recent articles talking about high end SGC stuff seeing record sales does anyone think it's possible they could eventually close some of the huge price gap between there stuff and PSA? I know this has been talked about forever but I've gotten some great deals on nice SGC cards that would have cost a whole lot more in PSA. I've found from experience that a good portion of stuff I've bought has crossed if I needed it to. I realize they won't catch PSA but do you stay away from SGC cards because of the perceived value in that holder or you think the company can't acuratly grade certain cards? Yes the registry the registry the registry. Does that really drive the market that much?? We can't all have PSA 8 sets can we.

Comments

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would comment, but forum rule #7 prevents me from posting what I want to say.
  • Options
    Short of copycatting the registry down to every "T" and "I" and growing the registry over a number of years? Nope.
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    The big shooters spending hundreds of thousands want PSA. The prices basically trickle down from there so unless the go for Sgc I don't see it. No.
  • Options
    I only asked due to the reported sale of a SGC88 54 Aaron for over 54K. That isn't chump change. I guess a better question would be do certain cards bridge the SGC PSA gap all by themselves.
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    Can SGC ever close the price gap?

That would require there actually being collectors of cards in SGC holders, keeping them in SGC holders and building sets and collections of SGC cards. Right now the SGC market is mostly collectors and dealers looking at the stuff for crossover, and a lot of the SGC stuff out there is from SGC being able to offer quick and cheap grading for the multitude of pump and dump auction houses needing to offer stuff that has been graded. There's always going to be a few contrarian collectors and dealers pushing something different, but it does get funny hearing the same sad story of hope decade after decade.
  • Options
    How is a 54k sale a sad story of hope? They will always be behind but a sale like that tells me the collector simply looked at the quality of the card and not what holder it's in. My collection is primarily in PSA for every reason talked about during that decade your talking about I'm just seeing solid sales on high end stuff from SGC. Sometimes I feel that collectors get caught up in from who they get the card, what auction house etc etc. seems all they have to do is label it high end and off it goes....
  • Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beckett is only a few %'s points ahead of them, so there is still hope.
    Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    AlbertdiditAlbertdidit Posts: 560 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TheMick6
    I know this has been talked about forever but I've gotten some great deals on nice SGC cards that would have cost a whole lot more in PSA

I have bought some SGC cards in the past because I like how the cards look in them and saved a whole lot of $$.

If I feel the card looks nice for the grade I have no prob buying it. I know reselling it and investment wise its not a "smart" move but i dont mind having some real nice looking cards at a lower price and being "stupid" for doing so

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    For my collection, I like a variety of different graded cards. My collection is mainly SGC and PSA cards. When it comes to attraction, you cant beat the SGC holders. I also have some in GAI, BVG, and PRO. They all look great. Variety is the spice of life.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    IndianaJonesIndianaJones Posts: 346 ✭✭✭
    No, in the overall sense SGC will never, ever, close the price gap with PSA.

I had a few over-sized cards graded / authenticated by SGC, after I was first refused by PSA because they did not grade an entire box that had a free baseball card prize on it. Ditto for a large card of Mickey Mantle I had. At that time, summer 2008, PSA did not have a holder to grade a 1960 Post Cereal Mantle. Now, they do. As it was, SGC's largest holder was used, and it barely fit, but fit it did, and it looked spectacular. Since I'm not engaged in contending for a top spot on the PSA Master Mickey Mantle Set Registry, I'm fine with my Mantle SGC-holdered.

It comes down to the boo coo value a PSA-graded card brings, as opposed to the "not nearly so much KA-CHING" that an SGC-graded card will bring.

In the instance where there's a rare type card of a superstar, either PSA or SGC will bring the BOO COO, because if it's the right card in the right grade, the thing (card) will truly speak for itself, and draw the wealthy buyers. ---Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buy the card, not the holder. There are great deals to be had in sgc and bgs holders.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.