Home Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins
Options

(SOLD) 1767 French Colonies sou, PCGS F15 (XF counterstamp)

$165 delivered.

SOLD

French Colonies: copper sou of Louis XV, 1767, with post-revolutionary 1793 "RF" counterstamp

Obverse: crossed batons flanked by initials of Louis XV (original Paris "A" mintmark obscured by later 1793 counterstamp).

Reverse: French royal fleur-de-lis emblem, crowned and surrounded by wreath (fleur-de-lis obscured by later 1793 counterstamp).

(Coin is holdered by PCGS with the reverse forward, though which side is the obverse and which is the reverse is arguable.)

PCGS F15 (counterstamp graded XF), cert.#32089336. Ex-Lost Dutchman Rare Coins, Indianapolis, IN (via "indycoindealer" eBay ID), 11/06/2014.

These interesting copper coins were struck for the French Colonies in the Caribbean, but since they also circulated in the early United States, particularly Louisiana into the early 19th century, they are included in the colonial coin section of the "Red Book" of United States coins. This example, like most surviving specimens, has an official "RF" (République Française) counterstamp applied circa 1793, after the French Revolution. The unstamped pieces are a bit scarcer today, but I think counterstamps are interesting and I was happy to add one to my collection. Because of the counterstamp and its dual world coin/US coin catalog status, this piece fits into several different categories.

Miscellaneous links:

PCGS cert verification page (w/TrueView image link)

PCGS Coinfacts page for this variety

Wikipedia links:

French Colonial Empire (note that the Wikipedia article shows a picture of this type of coin)

Louis XV of France

French Revolution (and First Republic)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    dadamsdadams Posts: 376 ✭✭✭
    Day late and a dollar short -- If your transaction falls through let me know. -d
  • Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look forward to seeing what takes its place in the box.
    Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They graded both the coin and the counterstamp??????

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ajaan

They graded both the coin and the counterstamp??????

Yep. Counterstamped issues are often graded by the stamp itself. To my slight surprise, it seems PCGS took a hybrid approach by grading the host coin as it normally would have and then noting the counterstamp details separately. I like it better this way, as it provides more information.

This is one of the few times you'll see a "details" grade on a PCGS label where the piece described is not a "problem" coin.

Originally posted by: Yorkshireman

Look forward to seeing what takes its place in the box.

Thanks for taking an interest in my set. Presently, not even i know what that replacement willl be yet, though of course I've got my eye on a short list of cointenders. The problem with being a small-budget collector is that I've usually got to sell something in order to buy something else. This is one reason the "one in, one out" aspect to Box of 20 collecting works for me, though the timing and logistics can be tricky. I have now sold the coin in the OP but now need to spend a little while squirreling up resources to purchase its replacement. (The coin I most have my eye on at the moment costs about twice what the one above just sold for...)