Home PSA Set Registry Forum

In possession of both PSA 10s. Taboo to crack one for higher set rating ?

How does this work please. Scenario: Someone has the only two PSA 10's of a certain card, and this card is part of a medium sized set registry with 12 total sets out there. This someone is number 2 on the registry and is only behind in the rating by .03 to the number 1 set. Should one of the 10's be cracked out with the flip being sent back to PSA ? Then there would be just one PSA 10 of the card, which would bump the card rating up, to where the #2 set then becomes the #1 set. Is that scenario possible ?



edited and spelled possession properly in the subject line.

Comments

  • DanBessetteDanBessette Posts: 6,422
    It's possible.
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed, it's possible with the 'Top Pop' bonuses. How likely is it for another 10 to pop? It's a high risk/reward situation and if you're trying to hit #1 for the registry awards, I'm not sure the 2nd 10 could get removed from the Pop report in time for this year. Is selling the other 10 more profitable and then using those funds to upgrade your set in other areas?

    I prefer doing it the other way, searching the sets above mine for their Top Pop bonus cards and subbing to match them, they lose the bonus + I get the upgrade.
  • KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    Is there some monetary prize for having the #1 set which exceeds the value of the 10 they'd be popping out. Personally I would sell or trade one of them to the #1 guy and actually benefit in a real way from having both 10's rather than destroying one to win a piece of paper.
  • CocoaBeachDodgersCocoaBeachDodgers Posts: 749 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: KbKards
    Is there some monetary prize for having the #1 set which exceeds the value of the 10 they'd be popping out. Personally I would sell or trade one of them to the #1 guy and actually benefit in a real way from having both 10's rather than destroying one to win a piece of paper.



    This is an interesting opinion to me, not a bad opinion, but interesting. If you are a collector, the monetary value is not the most important issue. That "piece of paper" could be worth a lot more to this person. I know as a collector, I would, in many cases, rather have the paper. But as a retired person on a fixed income not wanting to spend my life savings, I need to get the bast deals possible to reach my collecting goals, making some of my decisions monetary. Point being, everybody doesn't purchase cards purely for monetary reasons.
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,096 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Collectors are VERY competitive!!!!
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • cards are now an afterthought, the registry is all that matters. that's why I am not on the registry.
  • MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From what I see, you've been on the boards less than a month.



    Surely you aren't so enamored with a little goober next to your set that you would actually crack a PSA 10 to gain a miniscule advantage over another collector...that is insane



    Do you think anybody here gives a rip about your #1 position? Not in the least I assure you.

    Nothing magical is gonna happen in your life if you do what you're thinking of...it means absolutely NADA.



    Perhaps you've lost sight of what collecting is all about, it sure isn't about some check mark next to your set...if that's the case, you've got a lot to learn.
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,096 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Funny how some collectors look down on those who enjoy the registry.

    I collected high grade cards of my favorite player, Harmon Killebrew, for years. Since the local card shops only bought nm/mt cards, I figured those were the ones I should spend my money on. It's easy to get "hooked" on a well centered nm/mt card. Being more than a little OCD, I branched out into the "oddball" issues and had MANY people say I was an idiot, like when I spent $400.00 on a 1967 Killebrew stand-up. There was no grading services when I started, but as time went on, I found I liked my cards PSA graded.

    One day I stumbled across the registry and entered my graded cards (about half of my cards) and was in the top five! Over the next several months I got my remaining cards graded and ended up in first place.

    I know my set isn't the "All Time Finest" because my best friend (who collects mostly raw) also collects Killebrew, and his set is better, but I am still having fun with the hobby and I for one do not criticize others for their collections.

    Have fun with the hobby!
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Originally posted by: MCMLVTopps

    From what I see, you've been on the boards less than a month.



    Surely you aren't so enamored with a little goober next to your set that you would actually crack a PSA 10 to gain a miniscule advantage over another collector...that is insane



    Do you think anybody here gives a rip about your #1 position? Not in the least I assure you.

    Nothing magical is gonna happen in your life if you do what you're thinking of...it means absolutely NADA.



    Perhaps you've lost sight of what collecting is all about, it sure isn't about some check mark next to your set...if that's the case, you've got a lot to learn.




    But you were the only one in the world I was really hoping gave a rip about my set in the registry. If you don't give a rip, then I have nothing left to live for.



  • CocoaBeachDodgersCocoaBeachDodgers Posts: 749 ✭✭✭
    Perhaps you've lost sight of what collecting is all about, it sure isn't about some check mark next to your set...if that's the case, you've got a lot to learn.



    One thing that I have learned, is that there are many reasons why people collect. Some do it for an investment, some like the registry, some because it brings back memories, some just love the sport & this is a way to feel close. I am sure there are many more reasons I have not mentioned. But I think most people collect for multiple reasons. Point being, you can collect because you enjoy the old cards & enjoy the registry. To have the gall to tell somebody they have "lost sight of what collecting is all about" is about as close minded & wrong as can be.
  • scotgrebscotgreb Posts: 808 ✭✭✭
    Mr. HaveLearned, with all due respect, and remember I'm sayin' with all due respect, that idea ain't worth a velvet painting of a whale and a dolphin gettin' it on.

  • image Excellent reply image

    Gotta admit the response variance here though is interesting. All types of collectors exist as a couple have said, and the good about that is to each their own. (and some are very sensitive about it !)



    The respect quote.. Nice ! Talledega nights ! Another fine quote from that movie that fits here in the set registry forum 'If you ain't first, you're last' image
  • steel75steel75 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭✭
    What you do with YOUR property is YOUR business. We are talking about cardboard here....some people act like this stuff REALLY means something.
    1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • NeilDowneyNeilDowney Posts: 840 ✭✭
    The original question was the subject of a talk I recently had with my youngest son. He is the smartest person I have ever met and I have a genius IQ. I posed this question to him. If he had the only two examples of a card in the world, would he destroy one of them in front of witnesses so that the only one left was now priceless. He said to me, isn't owning the only two in the world priceless enough? I agreed with him. I think that knowing that you could have the #1 spot by cracking out the card and actually having both of them is priceless enough. Just my humble opinion (and my son's).
  • waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 713 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: NeilDowney
    He said to me, isn't owning the only two in the world priceless enough?


    I agree with this x 1000. What if this is a pop 100 in PSA 9 and you own the only two 10's? I'm not in your shoes but I would think that's a pretty good spot to be in.
    Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball
  • but.. 1/1 will always be viewed as a higher standard then 1 and 2 of 2. Also, if the 2nd 10 was indeed cracked out, very carefully, one would then have the 1/1 PSA 10, a raw card in hand already proven to be a 10 and could be again at any time (if no anomalies in grading standards), along with the #1 PSA registry set.



    Current situation is 2nd place, with a doppelganger card serving no purpose other than sitting in a box because you can't sell it, else..



    The 1st option here I believe is what gets people 72 Kate Uptons when they pass, so it has that going for it.



    Being funny here of course and agree with the 'it's a nice place to be in' in this situation. Option 1 though could be the winner.
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,096 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: NeilDowney
    The original question was the subject of a talk I recently had with my youngest son. He is the smartest person I have ever met and I have a genius IQ. I posed this question to him. If he had the only two examples of a card in the world, would he destroy one of them in front of witnesses so that the only one left was now priceless. He said to me, isn't owning the only two in the world priceless enough? I agreed with him. I think that knowing that you could have the #1 spot by cracking out the card and actually having both of them is priceless enough. Just my humble opinion (and my son's).


    OP did not say he was going to destroy the card. The card would still be a "10" out of the holder.

    The strategy is sound.

    There was a collector on the boards a while back that was buying graded mint cards and cracking them out to build a raw mint collection.


    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Yep, possible. As for me i'm not that competitive with any my registry sets. I'd hold on to the extra, probably even offer to sell it to whoever is #1 or another collector behind me in whatever fictional registry set this may be and use the funds for other cards for that registry or other.
  • someday another 10 will be graded, then the pop would go back to 2. someday it might be 3 or 4 pop. if money means nothing, then break it out, and see how long you have a 1/1. funny, I don't think anyone has mentioned that yet.
Sign In or Register to comment.