Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

TTM questions (Starting a new set)

Hey guys,

Although I already have a few TTM projects going, it's fun to start up new ones, so I'm going to begin mailing out cards and work on getting the 1979 set signed. 1979 was the year I was born. Figured this would be more fun than trying to build a graded set.

The set that I have is NM (though many OC's), and I'd like to keep them close to that if possible.

With my Brewers cards, I just drop em in the envelope and send em off, and not really consider the condition of the card. Do you guys use card savers? I've had a few cards come back with minor creases or dinged up corners but don't mind that much. The main reason I ask about the card savers is I've heard stories of some guys signing the card saver and mailing it back.

I also have been handwriting the letters, but obviously that is time consuming. There's around a 55% rate for the entire set, so I don't want to handwrite 400+ letters. Is it fair to use the same letter, make 400 copies and hand write in each name after "Dear", or should I type each name out and print them separately to seem more personable? I figure if the guys I'm sending to have a high success rate it won't matter either way, just looking for opinions.

Thanks for any input. It's always much appreciated. -Corey

Comments

• Options
    Autos4AlexAutos4Alex Posts: 442 ✭✭✭
    I hand write all my TTM requests unless it's written to a non-english speaker. I figure if I want them to take the time to sign something, I can take the time to write them something. Doesn't have to be too long of a note, but I like including questions and have found the answered questions almost as interesting/valuable as the signatures.

As for card savers, I always use them. For guys that are real popular and sign a lot, never really had a problem. For guys that are less popular or from sports that maybe don't get any 'sign my card' requests I write with sharpie on the front of the card saver 'please remove card to sign' and I put an arrow to the top where they can remove the card. Never had a problem getting the card removed. When I get them cards back back I put them in a fresh top loader, and reuse the written on ones.

About 20% of cards that come back aren't put back into the card savers, I wouldn't send condition sensitive stuff TTM.

Also to add I've had good success with the semi-rigid holders. When I first did TTM stuff I used the rigid top loaders, and I think the cards got more dinged up coming in and out of those things than just being loose in the envelope.
  • Options
    yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    I use standard top loaders for the TTM stuff I've sent out. I also believe in the hand written notes as I feel like it gives the person receiving the request a sense of the genuine interest in them as a person. I also like to describe what I'm trying to accomplish with the signature when it's going in a set like that. Some may never look at it but I bet it's of interest especially to a lot of the older and shorter career players. My two cents anyway.
    Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭✭
    I would never consider sending a card TTM without a hand-written note (even if it's a brief one).

Rarely use penny sleeves or card savers either for that matter.

Good Luck

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    In the beginning I was handwriting all of my TTM requests that I sent out. It was starting to take a lot of time, so I wound up doing a combination of handwritten and copied.

I think it is so important to have the letter personalized, so here is what I wound up doing.

Leave room at the top to hand write "Dear Mr. X".

Start by telling the player that you were born in 1979 and you thought that it would be a fun project to get the set signed by the players who are in the set.

Then ask if they would kindly sign the card(s) that are enclosed and to please return in the self addressed stamped envelope that is provided.

Thank them and then sign your name.

Make as many copies of the above as you need.

Now when you send your card to Vic Harris, you will fill in at the top "Dear Mr. Harris".

Underneath your signature, I would add:

PS. Having played at least 27 games at 6 different positions, which position did you like best? How different was it playing in Japan as compared to the US?

I would send 1 or 2 cards in a cardsaver 1, along with the letter and a SASE. Be sure to use a forever stamp, as I have had returns come back more than SEVEN YEARS later! You only need one stamp on the letter you are sending, as it just makes it under the 1 ounce mark.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    I stopped hand writing TTM a few years back. I work about 55-60 hours a week so when I get an easier week about once a month I power out about 40-60 TTM's. I haven't found it effect my % as I had about a 90% return rate last year. I do, ever, send thank you notes to any TTM that responds with a letter, adds extra cards, or adds an inscription. I also add random returns to my Christmas card list.
  • Options
    BeRoyalKCBeRoyalKC Posts: 413 ✭✭
    So where do you get all the addresses?
    #CROWNED

2015 World Series Champions
    2018 Worst Minor League System In Baseball
    #FIREDAYTONMOORE
  • Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭
    Here or here
  • Options
    totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys!

I've decided I'll be printing up the letters because of the time factor. I'd prefer to handwrite, but I just don't have the time. We moved in fall and have so many projects to do around the house. Between that and work, among other things it's just easier to type them up.

With my Brewers project I've been asking players two of the following: the toughest pitcher/hitter they ever faced, a standout memory from playing, or best teammate. I'll ask the same questions.

I've gotten back some pretty good letters. One player said his best teammate was his wife. Another I receieved was from John Poff who only played 31 games in his career. 19 with the Brewers. He told me a story about how he was sent to the minors during spring training, and on his way out he told the rest of the team "Have a great season, and if I never see you again, who cares?"

I like the thank card idea SBfinley. They must be thrilled to get a thank you card. I wrote Ron Theobald for a signature, and he told me he doesn't have any of his cards, so I went to the card shop and bought some and mailed em to him to keep. He sent me back a thank you note, and funny enough a signed custom card that TheKid8 from these boards made for his first homerun project.
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Is the sports address lists also known as Harvey's that I see reference to on SCN?
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Harvey's list is one. Another not mentioned, which I used when I was sending out a lot of TTMs, was STARTIGER.COM
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: totallyradd

I wrote Ron Theobald for a signature, and he told me he doesn't have any of his cards, so I went to the card shop and bought some and mailed em to him to keep. He sent me back a thank you note, and funny enough a signed custom card that TheKid8 from these boards made for his first homerun project.

neat story although I recently learned that Mr. Theobald recently passed away..Sounded like a neat guy

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭
    That's a bummer. He seemed like a very nice guy that cherished his short time in the bigs. Some guys with short stints are bitter about their playing days.