Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Congratulations 2016 Set Registry Winners!

It is my great pleasure and honor to present the following winners of the PCGS Currency Set Registry Awards for 2016:

imageBEST COLLECTION OF THE YEAR: Ollis Hull

imageBEST NEW SET: “Mac” - 1928-1963 Complete $5 Legal Tender Block Set

imageBEST LARGE SIZE SET: IPS – 1899 "Black Eagle" Series $1 Silver Certificate Fr. # Set

imageBEST SMALL SIZE SET: Kraig Tripp "SDCSD" - $5 Silver Certificate Set 1934-1953B with Varieties with Stars

imageBEST MODERN SMALL SIZE SET: “jbrucet” – $1 Federal Reserve Note Series Set with Stars

imageBEST NATIONAL BANK NOTES SET: "Godot" - Large Size Idaho State Set - By Charter

imageBEST FRACTIONAL NOTE SET: “Offramp’s Fifth” - Fractional Currency Fifth Issue Denomination Set

imageBEST MILITARY PAYMENT CERTIFICATE SET: Todd Heggemeier “Air Force 1” – Military Payment Certificates Fractional Denominations

imageBEST CONFEDERATE CURRENCY SET: Pierre Fricke "David Hogan Collection - Fricke" - 72 Note Confederate States of America Complete Type Set

imageBEST LARGE SIZE BLOCK SET: Marc Fontes "mfontes" - 1923 Fr. 237 - Fr. 239 $1 Silver Certificate Set All Blocks

imageBEST SMALL SIZE BLOCK SET: Ollis Hull "Hull's 2's" - 1928-1963A $2 Complete Legal Tender Set All Blocks with Stars

imageBEST MODERN BLOCK SET: Michael Skourtes "The Skourtes Collection" - 1976-2013 $2 Federal Reserve Note Block Set with Stars

imageBEST LOW BALL SET: Cliff Andrews “Dueces Low” - $2 Large Size Design Low Ball Set

imageBEST EXONUMIA SET: Melissa Jones "Tinker-Bills" – 1987- 2014 Complete Disney Dollar Set

imageBEST SHOWCASE COLLECTION: Melissa Jones "Tinker-Bills" - Tinker-Bills * Errors * Proofs * Specimens * Prototypes * Production Art * Test Proofs * Mickey Mouse Cones * Disneyland Money Orders * Mouse Money * Recreation Coupons * Signature Pieces *

imageIn addition, sets will receive the "Best of the Registry" certificate for being at least 75% complete and in the top spot! Those winners can be viewed online. along with our expert's comments.

Congratulations to all the 2016 Set Registry Award winners! You have truly achieved excellence.

Thank you for your support of the PCGS Currency Set Registry and please remember to RSVP Laura for the dinner

Comments

• Options
    Jim61Jim61 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    CONGRATULATIONS to all winners!!! imageimage

Jim61

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16566561 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps and TheRock!

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16977961.

Looking for $1 CU FRN 99999961 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps!

Looking for $50 FRN 00000061
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    +1 Congrats!!!
  • Options
    ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭
    Some nice looking sets there everyone. Well done!
  • Options
    larry510larry510 Posts: 566 ✭✭
    Congrats!
  • Options
    gnatgnat Posts: 392 ✭✭✭
    Congrats.

I really like looking at what others collect and their sets. Some really great collections (and accomplishments are represented. It is mildly frustrating, however, when (in a couple cases) you can't actually view the set (the set is to "private").
  • Options
    techwritertechwriter Posts: 584 ✭✭
    image with the class. Some really outstanding sets there; my eyes are blurry.

Wow!! Congratulations to ALL image
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 05232016 - any series or block. Please PM
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 20160523 - any series or block. Please PM

Retired

• Options
    larry510larry510 Posts: 566 ✭✭
    Originally posted by: gnat

Congrats.

I really like looking at what others collect and their sets. Some really great collections (and accomplishments are represented. It is mildly frustrating, however, when (in a couple cases) you can't actually view the set (the set is to "private").

I agree with you. Making sets private takes some of the fun out of the competition. To those of you who have your sets hidden please reconsider that decision and open them up! image
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    Congrats everyone! imageimage
    Hope to see you all at the awards dinner/party!
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations to all......best of the best.
  • Options
    Where's the depression scrip set registry?
    Come and see a forgotten piece of history.....

http://www.depressionscrip.com

Always looking for more depression scrip -- PM me if you have any for sale or trade
  • Options
    jwbradfordjwbradford Posts: 37 ✭✭

Let us know which sets you'd like us to add, and we will gladly work on adding them if they make sense for us to do so! As with Obsolete banknotes, Depression Scrip is a category where the most useful sets are probably going to be smaller denomination sets from the same issuer and issue date. Larger sets will be somewhat cumbersome to create, but they are also possible. We always welcome specialized expertise in designing Set Registry sets, and this may be a perfect opportunity for someone like DepressionscripGuy to help in doing this.
    Jason W. Bradford
    President, PCGS Currency
    jbradford@pcgscurrency.com

• Options
    synchrsynchr Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭
    When do the "2016" flags get tacked to the winning Registry sets?
    In the past it has been close after the awards ceremony or a few days after.

Thank you.
    Apologize for being pushy as you're probably swamped with new submittals from the big show
  • Options
    Cody71086Cody71086 Posts: 58 ✭✭
    They will be coming soon. In the next few weeks at the latest!
  • Options
    synchrsynchr Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Cody71086
    They will be coming soon. In the next few weeks at the latest!

Just saw them, once again, you're right!
    Thank you again
  • Options
    Originally posted by: jwbradford

Let us know which sets you'd like us to add, and we will gladly work on adding them if they make sense for us to do so! As with Obsolete banknotes, Depression Scrip is a category where the most useful sets are probably going to be smaller denomination sets from the same issuer and issue date. Larger sets will be somewhat cumbersome to create, but they are also possible. We always welcome specialized expertise in designing Set Registry sets, and this may be a perfect opportunity for someone like DepressionscripGuy to help in doing this.

I missed the boat on this one... I didn't even see this reply until now. image

Anyways, now that I have an even larger expanded list. Answering the question as to what kind of set to put together for depression scrip is a tough one to answer. Guess I should of thought about that one first....

Since I am at just over 3700 known issues, an all inclusive registry set would be crazy. But, there is still much debate on what is depression and what isn't. Ebay has alot of sellers that are trying to pass off everything from wooden nickels to checks as depression scrip. So that would have to be answered as well.

As for sets, I think best choices would be...

Set 1 - One example from each of the 50 states. A 50 note set would be cool and a bit of a challenge. Some states are much more common than others. - Might be an issue as Alaska only has coins which PCGS currency doesn't slab.

Set 2 - Maybe a material type set - Paper, Fish skin, Leather, Brass Coin, Aluminum coin, Wood, Rubber, Clam shell, etc.... - again, coins are an issue.

Set 3 - Lowest serial # set??

Set 4 - ??
    Come and see a forgotten piece of history.....

http://www.depressionscrip.com

Always looking for more depression scrip -- PM me if you have any for sale or trade
  • Options
    techwritertechwriter Posts: 584 ✭✭
    Or how about a set consisting of radar numbers from the paper issuing authorities?
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 05232016 - any series or block. Please PM
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 20160523 - any series or block. Please PM

Retired

• Options
    FlashFlash Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭
    Was there no Best Large Type or Best Small Type sets awards?

Matt