Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Florentine Baroque Medal - Benedetto Averani by Massimiliano Soldani-Benzi

Benedetto Averani

by Massimiliano Soldani-Benzi, 1707

Cast Bronze, 87.3 mm Ø, 178.0 g

Obverse: Bust of Benedetto Averani facing right, with long curly hair and draped cloak. Around, BENEDICTVS AVERANIVS FLOR · (Benedetto Averani, Florentine).

Reverse: Minerva standing facing left, holding a shield in her left hand and a spear in her right. To the left, an olive tree. In the background, a view of a city surrounded by fortified walls. Around, PARIT · SAPIENTIA · PACEM · (Wisdom Brings Peace). In exergue, · MDCCVII · (1707).

Benedetto Averani was born in Florence in 1645. Early on, he wrote a number of poems in Latin, including one in honor of St. Thomas Aquinas. He later received a degree in jurisprudence in Pisa, and then worked at the Accademia degli Apatisti in Florence. In 1676, Cosimo III de' Medici gave to Averani the position as chair of Greek letters, a position which he held for thirty years. He was invited by the Republic of Venice to transfer to the University of Padua, and also by Pope Innocent XI to go to Rome, but he declined both. Averani died in Pisa on December 28, 1707.

The preferred interpretation of the reverse, proposed by the Museo Mazzucchelliano, is that it refers to the peace that was currently being enjoyed by Florence while the rest of Italy was embroiled in war. To match with the inscription, it is noted that the olive tree, a symbol of peace, grows from where the spear of Minerva, the goddess of wisdom, touches the ground. That this peace refers to Florence is relayed by the view of the city in the background. However, Vannel and Toderi also point out that Domenico Maria Manno interpreted the reverse as referring to the death of Averani.

References: Vannel-Toderi (Toscana) 58; Vannel-Toderi (Bargello) 216-221; Börner 1503

Comments

• Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Another wonderful and "yuge" medal with your characteristic informative description - which is very helpful for those of us who don't wander too far afield from our specialties. Interesting reverse type and the rim provides an almost framed appearance. Congrats and thanks for sharing.

Just out of curiosity, how are you storing these big boys? I have some 4 x 4 mylar flips (seems wrong to call something that big a flip) which work ok for the handful of really large medals I have but always wonder if there's a better way.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: STLNATS
    Another wonderful and "yuge" medal with your characteristic informative description - which is very helpful for those of us who don't wander too far afield from our specialties. Interesting reverse type and the rim provides an almost framed appearance. Congrats and thanks for sharing.

Just out of curiosity, how are you storing these big boys? I have some 4 x 4 mylar flips (seems wrong to call something that big a flip) which work ok for the handful of really large medals I have but always wonder if there's a better way.

Thanks! Regarding the storage, I also have some 4x4 flips, and some are in trays. I'm not really satisfied with either solution, and keep looking for a better alternative, but I haven't found one yet.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The craftsmanship on those large bronze medals is fantastic. Thank you for sharing those photos and description!