Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

old world silver coins

these coins are part of history and some are in slabs and graded, and some are raw

no matter these coins are interesting

here are some of mine

1881 German silver 1 mark

1941p Netherlands indie silver 1/4 gulden

1944d US/Philippine 10 silver centavos

1883 (partly filled 8)silver Spanish/Philippine 20 centavos

1874 Denmark silver 10 ore

1960 japan 100 silver yen

1918 French silver 50 centimes

1907 japan silver 20 sen

Comments

• bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice lot of silvers!
  • silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A particularly attactive and comprehensive selection.
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
    well when I started my collection I had no silver world coins

all of these coins were inexpensive to buy at the local coin shop and that helped when one had a limited budget to start a collection on
  • Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    Nice mixed batch of silver.
    Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That really is a wide ranging set. Think of the stories those coins could tell--being respectable bits of coin used by 'regular' people. Wouldn't it be cool to have a superpower where you could 'read' the history of inanimate objects? A group of coins like that and you'd never be bored! Neat grouping!

Cathy

as I said before these coins are part of history good or bad they are part of the countries history they are from
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat bunch of silver. I don't think I've ever seen that 1/4 gulden design before!
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TwoKopeiki

Neat bunch of silver. I don't think I've ever seen that 1/4 gulden design before!

Struck at the US Mint in Philadelphia. (Hence the "P" mintmark- probably one of the first times such a mintmark was used, since the "P" didn't appear on War nickels until the following year.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • santeliasantelia Posts: 138 ✭✭
    I really like the Netherlands indie. Since I started collecting chinese and japanese coins, I've built up a little side collection of asian coins from european countries. STraits Settlement, the German colonies, japanese occupation money, trade dollars, etc. It's been fun, and keeps me looking through foreign coin bins.
    Chinese cash enthusiast
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the look of that first one (the German mark). I like that wholesome grey look on a circulated silver coin.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: lordmarcovan
    Originally posted by: TwoKopeiki

Struck at the US Mint in Philadelphia. (Hence the "P" mintmark- probably one of the first times such a mintmark was used, since the "P" didn't appear on War nickels until the following year.)

The same coin was also struck in San Francisco mintmark S (Rare)

other coins for the Netherlands / Netherlands Indies / Carribean dutch islands like Curacao were also struck in the US during WW2
    mintmarks D = Denver - P & S - on the leftside marked with a Palmtree for Indies & Carribean - some marked with an acorn (guilders) for the Netherlands
    orders were placed from London were the dutch queen Wilhelmina and her cabinet resided during WW2

collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.