Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Heritage -- Layaway with interest???

DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
Maybe I don't know so much, but this was surprising to me. I buy some coins from Heritage, and have been satisfied with the coins and the service. So don't take this as a heavy bashing.

Is this common practice to charge interest on a layaway item that you don't even get yet??? I can't figure out what the interest is for since you don't have your money and you don't have the coin. Further, why would they say "almost anyone can qualify" when they don't let the coin go until they have the money? Who would NOT qualify under a scenario like that?

Here is the relevant portion of the e-mail I got about it. I'm sure many of you got the same one.

6 Month 6% June Layaway Special Heritage is proud to offer a special LOW
INTEREST Extended Payment Plan (EPP) on any inventory invoice totaling $2,
000 or more during the month of June. The premise is quite simple and
almost anyone can qualify for this program. (Available only for purchases
from Heritage Rare Coin Galleries and not for auction purchases from
Heritage Numismatic Auctions.)

* Minimum $2,000 per invoice.
* Minimum down payment is 20%.
* You may take up to 6 months to pay the balance (monthly payments of at
least 1/6th of invoice total).
* Interest is calculated at only 1/2% per month (6% annually) on the
unpaid balance, and must be kept current.
* There is no penalty for paying off early.

Doug

Comments

• Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    Wow!!! Thats quite a deal! You get to buy a low-end coin from Heritage that some dealer dumped on them wholesale cause he couldn't move it, Heritage marks it up 30%-80%, sells it to you and only charges you 6% interest for holding your money AND the coin.......and you have to QUALIFY for this monumental privilege????

This is their best idea since charging some outrageous fee for returning auction coins with bad pics and adding 15% to their Exclusively Internet auctions which is mainly their unsold inventory anyway. LOLOLOLOL

Dragon
  • Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    Dragon hit the nail on the head!
  • Options
    merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    Doug
    I too received that E-mail and had to laugh.Heritage makes some poor decisions.
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • Options
    KeyrockKeyrock Posts: 961
    Some times I just shake my head and wonder why. I'd rather wait six months for a regional show I can attend and get the coin there and "pay" myself interest for waiting.

Rich

Heritage is slowly starting to price themselves out of bus. (IMO)
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    I've never bought a coin from Heritage that didnt "leave a bad taste in my mouth." I've talked to several of their dealers at coin shows. They seem to have a haughty attitude that sets me off the wrong way. I may be a small fish in the numismatic sea, but I'm spending my $.50 coin budget elsewhere.

...and there is only one coin I would ever concider paying interest on, a 56 flying eagle. It's a coin I've always wanted, and rarely can afford. If I ever complete a full set of cents 1793-date, I might would concider financing a nice no problem 56 eagle. A more likely senerio, however, would be me saving up to buy one.

David
  • Options
    There has been nothing slow about Heritage's dramatic price increases. They have priced their gallery stuff FSO (for suckers only). How about this new modern issue and bullion coin listings? Pay Heritage 50% price premium and allow two weeks for delivery so they can find you what you want. A little late into this market Huh? Especially three months after one of their INEPT E.I employees told me they would stay out of the modern coin market as it won't last. It's amusing to see the oversized, dumb, lumbering beast about to fall over. The aloof attitude from top to bottom is even obvious with the receptionists who answer the phone.

Sean
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,684 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have found it really is the little things that make collectors happy to deal with you rather than PO'ed. For example (and this has nothing to do with Heritage), there is no need to charge a collector $15 shipping on a $5,000 private sale. There is no reason to charge a collector 1% a month to hold a coin for 30-90 days. Geez, I'm not paying interest on the partial payments I get in every week or month from the collector-why charge interest? I also try to accept the grade under "trade in" coin wherever possible, unless I really do believe the collector will do better selling it himself on ebay. Many dealers "do the little things" like this and they quickly become the favorites of collectors.

It is the little things that help make any sales-geared business successful imho. image Wondercoin.
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    You all have hit the nail on this issue, this is absurd and I agree with the comment they act a little to haughty for my taste also. The good part is we can point it out on these boards and maybe someone will see it on these boards and get the point about real and true customer service.

They should take a lesson from Mitch in the way he has set up his business to deal with his customers its real simple honest and fair,

by the way Mitch when are you going to change that POR, on your site?image
  • Options
    P.S. we should contact them to read these thoughs from their would be customers....
  • Options
    keithdagenkeithdagen Posts: 2,025
    To be fair, I recently made a sizable layaway purchase from Heritage. Most expensive coin I have ever bought, piece caught my eye, and I knew that I would have the money over a 2 to 3 month period.

The guy I dealt with was very nice, answered all my specific questions about the coin before I committed to it, and offered to hold the coin several weeks instead of the layaway route. I went layaway because I knew that it might take some time to get the cash for the coin. Overall though, my experience was postive.
    Keith ™

• Options
    These comments have certainly been interesting.

Funny how perception is 90% reality.

Buyer's Fee on Internet Auctions: Why charge a buyer's fee if the coins are already in their inventory? Just like other auctions with a buyer's fee, I figure what I will pay and then back the fee off of it for my bid. It certainly isn't a good marketing strategy by Heritage. I am going to bid a certain amount for a coin whether there is a fee or not. What I BID depends on whether a fee is charged or not. Personally, I liked their auctions with no buyer's fee. I can tell you that they are not making anymore money selling me coins with a buyer's fee.

90 day layaway with interest: It's just too much! By locking in a purchase price with 10-20% down, they have avoided short term market volatility. Most of the time when I tell a dealer that I would like a coin but "will have to wait until next month to pay for it," they offer a layaway with no interest.

Something else that makes me suspicious: A lot of the time when I have bid in one of their auctions, I get the coin at the very top of my bid. I don't know whether they can see my bids if I bid well before the auction ends or not. In the last auction, I bid $100 on a $20 coin just to see what would happen. I got it at $25, so it acutally made me feel a little better, although $25 was top price for the coin.

They need a marketing makeover. I'm not saying they are sharks, but you certainly do smell them in the water. It just makes me extra careful when I look at a coin that they have offered.

Doug
  • Options
    Heritage has a coin you really want. You can't afford to buy that coin. For 6% they will let you pay for the coin over that time and NOT sell it to some other sucker [sorry I mean some other interested party]. This is actually a fairly reasonable deal, though if you don't have the cash you would be better off collecting a different type or grade of coin more within your means.
  • Options
    TypetoneTypetone Posts: 1,622
    I have various comments.

First, I have bought several coins from Heritage and have been reasonably satisfied. Have had no problems returning things I didn't like.

I don't buy things on lay away. If I don't have the cash I usually don't buy it. However, I don't think their policy is totally absurd. Assume they could sell the coin away from you. By holding it for you they lose the use of the money they could have sold it for. Plus they risk you walking away from your down payment if the coin drops in value. 6% interest does seem high, but some interest seems reasonably. Do they charge interest on the paid amount or just the unpaid balance? It should just be on the balance. Basically, they want to sell coins outright. Lay away is an accomodation. If it doesn't make economic sense to you, then don't buy it that way.

Concerning Mitch's comments, I absolutely agree that customer service is what coin dealing is about. I buy over 1/2 my coins from a dealer who offers me the following customer services:

1. Free overnight shipping on all orders regardless of amount.
    2. If I reject the coin, I ship it back for free from my office using the dealer's insurred Fed Ex Account.
    3. Receive all coins on approval. I don't pay until I see and approve the coins.
    4. Up to a month to pay for large purchases with no interest. If I need more than a month, dealer offers reasonable financing terms, and I keep the coins in the meantime.
    4. I maintain a want list with this dealer and actually get regular calls when they get something on my list or find what I need.
    5. The dealer knows my standards and does not send me over described junk. Sometimes I will see a coin on the website, and call to order it. Sometimes I am told that the coin is not up to my standards and that I shouldn't buy it.
    6. Coins are always priced at or below those offered by other dealers.
    7. Will always, always, always, take my lower grade trade ins at fair value (usually 10% to 20% under retail). Will always buy other things I want to sell even if I am not buying.

That's way I buy about 2/3rds of my coins from this dealer (duh!) and about 2% from Heritage.

PM me if you would like to know who this dealer is, though I am sure there are other equally good dealers.

Greg

Greg
  • Options
    flykiteflykite Posts: 147
    It is amazing that so many "traditional" coin dealers whose
    sales background is catalog, newspaper, or telephone sales
    STILL don't fathom the impact on internet selling! More people
    IMHO are actively buying and selling than ever before; it
    is easier to find people who want coins, so BE THEIR FRIENDS!!!
    It's win-win all the way around.
  • Options
    I don't understand the objection to charging a fee (6%, in this case) to hold merchandise that they could otherwise sell to another buyer (and, presumably have their money in hand immediately). Some one said they (Heritage) are protected from short term market volatility. But so is the buyer---if the value goes up the buyer benefits; if the price goes down by more than the down payment, the buyer can walk away.

If you want a high-end coin (these are for coins over $2K as I recall), what's wrong with the holder of the coin asking you for a fee to keep it for you? sort of like a lease-option on a house or a stock option --- you pay money for the right to future transaction.

And yes, I agree with Greg, there are dealers who, if you buy regularly from them, will make the kind of accomodations he indicated---I've certainly been very happy with the willingness of a couple of dealers on this board to work with me, hold coins, accept returns (which I have never had to take them up on, because the coins were always at least as advertised), etc.--but if it is Heritage who has the coin you want, your options are limited.

Pete
  • Options
    As I mentioned in my last post on this thread, reality is 90% perception. My personal opinion is that I don't like they way they try to disguise what they are doing with cheap marketing tactics. It makes me very cautious.
    Doug
  • Options
    BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭
    They also offer a twelve month layaway, 2000 minimum, 20 percent down, 1 percent interest. Actually a pretty good deal for collectors like me on a budget. Beats putting it on a credit card and paying 9-19 percent interest just to get the coin right away. I just wish they would lower the minimum to 1000.

Dennis
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • Options
    It's actually 12% APR. Not a good deal.