Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Ever had a downgrade on a PSA review?

Curious if anyone has ever sent in a PSA graded card for review and had a downgrade? I have a few cards I'd like reviewed that I think are undergraded but didn't know if this can occur.

Also, has anyone ever been charged extra for a reholder when a review is requested? The person I spoke with at PSA said this can happen, but I won't know til I send the cards in, which I thought was odd. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    There is a possibility that a card could get downgraded. PSA would then give you the difference in value. I think this would only happen in more extreme cases, say at least 1 full grade.

Personally, I think they go about it correctly. The old grading scales, back when the flips had rounded inside edges, seem to be graded much more leniently. When I see a rounded flip, I take extra care as to look at the card.
    Current T206 Needs: (Updated 9/11/17)

LaJoie Portrait 3+, Cy Young Bare Hand 3+

Ty Cobb Bat Off 4+, ANY Red & Green Portrait

• Options
    PSA once called me and said that one of my cards that went in for review was altered and that they would have to crack open and send back to me. They paid me out what I purchased for it although the card was valued at more since i had it for two years at that point. I ended up selling the cracked out version on ebay with full disclaimer of the situation and it turned out pretty good overall although I kinda wish I never submitted it for review because I really wanted to keep that card (although I had no idea prior of it being altered)

As far as getting a new holder, I prefer not to have my cards messed with unless they were to get a bump. So far, they have not done so and have kept them in their original holders as I have requested.

Marc
  • Options
    VintagemanEdVintagemanEd Posts: 922 ✭✭✭
    I have never done the review through psa but I have a 73 Schmidt in a 9 that I am questioning whether the holder was tampered with..... would psa crack the card out and regrade it if I asked for a review. How does that work. If it then traded lower would they reimburse me from what I paid for the 9?
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: VintagemanEd
    I have never done the review through psa but I have a 73 Schmidt in a 9 that I am questioning whether the holder was tampered with..... would psa crack the card out and regrade it if I asked for a review. How does that work. If it then traded lower would they reimburse me from what I paid for the 9?

I believe the PSA guarantee ends when a holder is determined to be tampered with. It would be too easy to take advantage of otherwise
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    happened to me, they bent it but said it was already like that and the grade was incorrect. Took a '15 Cracker Jack HOFer from a 5 to a 3.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Griffins
    happened to me, they bent it but said it was already like that and the grade was incorrect. Took a '15 Cracker Jack HOFer from a 5 to a 3.

That's pretty pathetic if you ask me. I will never send any card in for review.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    bobmoatbobmoat Posts: 257 ✭✭
    I will never send any card in for review.

Assuming this also means you'll never send any card in for grading?