Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Question on Lyn Knight Pennsylvania Warrant

This 1844 warrant is listed in the Lyn Knight sale at $500 to $1000, with an opening bid of $300. Can anyone explain this pricing?

Comments

• Options
    DanCongDanCong Posts: 196
    I looked on HA and saw a different series (1861) sell for $7 *** Including *** juice, and on eBay the same series as the lyn knight one (1853) sell for $39.

Maybe someone famous signed it ?

ebay
  • Options
    mainejoemainejoe Posts: 311 ✭✭✭
    The opening price is like a minimum, or reserve. The Estimated price range is what they would like the amateurs to believe it is possibly worth, so they bid it up. I have rarely won an item at LK that was close to the minimum estimated value. Just me I guess. On occasion there is a few items that are worth their muster and will bring over the low estimate, but rarely even close to the top estimate.
  • Options
    delistampsdelistamps Posts: 714 ✭✭✭
    Dan, I have about four dozen of what you refer to as the 1861 series, with most dates between 1858 and 1866. I've got nine or ten of the series listed in the Knight auction, most with jumbo margins. There's no way they are worth $300 and up. Either a seller has set an unreasonable minimum or the cataloger doesn't know what he (or she) has.
  • Options
    lettowlettow Posts: 80 ✭✭✭
    LKCA does not know how to price ephemeral US stuff. He either prices it way low and relegated it to the after show Internet only sale or too high like this one.
  • Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hoard item from 10-20 years ago.

I think that I bought 10 pieces for around $3-$4 each.

Most seem to retail in the $10-$40 range now with several higher.

Knight's catalog estimate might be based on the fact that whoever priced it (Knight or consignor) was aggressively optimistic and hadn't seen one before.

Hopefully there isn't a buyer who also hasn't seen it before and likes it and doesn't do a little research.
    Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.