Home Precious Metals
Options

Buying 90%?

aclocoacloco Posts: 952 ✭✭✭
Regardless of whom the seller is (private, dealer, etc), how do you counter their public offer of times face value?

My point is, if they are asking a premium over spot, but selling G/VG 90% silver, ....is the seller just hoping to sell at that price to an unfamiliar buyer?

Price is based on silver content, no matter the form.

Successful BST transactions with: jp84, WaterSport, Stupid, tychojoe, Swampboy, dragon, Jkramer, savoyspecial, ajaan, tyedye, ProofCollection, Broadstruck x2, TwinTurbo, lordmarcovan, devious, bumanchu, AUandAG, Collectorcoins (2x), staircoins, messydesk, illini420, nolawyer (10x & counting), peaceman, bruggs, agentjim007, ElmerFusterpuck, WinLoseWin, RR, WaterSports, KeyLargRareCoins, LindeDad, Flatwoods, cucamongacoin, grote15, UtahCoin, NewParadigm, smokincoin, sawyerjosh x3

Comments

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just ask them if they would sell at your price. They can either say yes or no. If you are implying that they should sell it for less because the coins are worn, make that part of your offer as an explanation.

Better yet, shop around and you probably can find a better price if they are selling them for strong money.
  • Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    Establish a good relationship with one dealer. He may be nice enough to let you hand pick your coins. I have a dealer that sets a very reasonable price x face. I've been buying off of the same gentleman for 12+ years and if I go in wanting to buy 2, 3, or even four rolls of quarters, he hands me his bag of quarters and tells me to pick what I want. He usually only breaks out the auto counting machine when you ask for like thousand or more dollars in silver. And he doesn't do this for everyone. Just the people he knows and doesn't mind loitering in the shop for 20-30 minutes.

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would not pay more premium for 90% US coins than I would pay for generic rounds or bars if I were buying the 90% for it silver content alone.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    90% premiums fluctuate more than .999 does, sometimes considerably more. Like anything else, supply & demand play a very large role
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep in mind that spot price is set in the paper market. Normally, all physical silver demands some premium over this price. Premium will vary among the different products.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: piecesofme

90% premiums fluctuate more than .999 does, sometimes considerably more. Like anything else, supply & demand play a very large role

Indeed. If the demand and premium for one ounce rounds spikes upwards, producers can make more one ounce rounds. This is not the case with 90% silver, with the technical exception of the coins in the 90% silver proof sets. All buyers can do is offer higher and higher premiums to induce holders to sell from existing holdings.

That said, I notice that the buys on proof silver sometimes is at a discount to ordinary junk silver, even though it is slightly heavier. My theory is that this is because the Proofs with their sharp edges tend to get stuck in coin counting machines. Has anybody encountered this?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: CaptHenway
    Originally posted by: piecesofme

Indeed. If the demand and premium for one ounce rounds spikes upwards, producers can make more one ounce rounds. This is not the case with 90% silver, with the technical exception of the coins in the 90% silver proof sets. All buyers can do is offer higher and higher premiums to induce holders to sell from existing holdings.

That said, I notice that the buys on proof silver sometimes is at a discount to ordinary junk silver, even though it is slightly heavier. My theory is that this is because the Proofs with their sharp edges tend to get stuck in coin counting machines. Has anybody encountered this?

I think the newer proof 90% is discounted because its so ugly compared to the historic 90%. The I hate the look of all of it , the redesign of the Kennedy half made it less appealing and the same is true for the quarters. The dimes appear to be the same but I don't care for those anyway

• Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The proof 90% does not transfer to rolls very easily and they can cause jams in most counting machines due mostly to the rims being slightly thicker. This is mostly for the quarters, however they are all tough to put in tubes and impossible to fill the tubes with correct face counts and have lids fit.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Jinx86

The proof 90% does not transfer to rolls very easily and they can cause jams in most counting machines due mostly to the rims being slightly thicker. This is mostly for the quarters, however they are all tough to put in tubes and impossible to fill the tubes with correct face counts and have lids fit.

Thanks. Had not thought about plastic tubes.

Of course with worn coins you have the opposite problem. I once bought in a bunch of well-worn Mercury dimes in plastic tubes. I think the highest count in one tube was 65! Bought em by weight and melted them because I did not want to stick anybody with them.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.