Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

French Medal - Cardinal Jules Mazarin

Cardinal Jules Mazarin

Bronze, 97.2 mm Ø, 300.5 g

Obverse: Bust of Jules Mazarin, facing right, wearing zucchetto and hooded cassock with square collar and tied tassels. Around, IVLIVS · S · R · E · CARD · MAZARINVS . Beneath the bust, F · C · A · G · A · E .

Reverse: Hercules and Atlas holding the world. Draped over the shoulder of Hercules is the hide of the Nemean lion. Around, HI DVO ILLE SOLVS .

Inscriptions:

IULIUS SANCTÆ ROMANÆ ECCLESIÆ CARDINALIS MAZARINUS
Jules Mazarin, Cardinal of the Holy Roman Church

HI DUO ILLE SOLUS
These Two Alone

Cardinal Jules Raymond Mazarin was born Giulio Raimondo Mazzarino on July 14, 1602, in Pescina. He was raised in Rome, and later attended the Pontifical Gregorian University there. Mazarin pursued a military career under Filippo I Colonna and his diplomatic ability was soon brought to the attention of Pope Urban VIII. He eventually became papal vice-legate at Avignon and nuncio extraordinary in France. After being dismissed by Urban VIII in January of 1636, he entered the service of France, working with Cardinal Richelieu, chief minister to King Louis XIII. Mazarin soon found favor with the king, the court, and Anne of Austria, the queen consort. He returned to Rome in 1636, and was made a cardinal in 1641. Upon the death of Richelieu, Mazarin returned to Paris in 1642 and succeeded him as Chief Minister of France. After the death of Louis XIII, Mazarin helped Anne to expand her power during her regency for her young son, Louis XIV. He continued in this role, effectively co-ruling France with Anne, until his death on March 9, 1661.

The reverse design and inscription can be interpreted to mean that Mazarin alone can sustain the burden which requires both Hercules and Atlas together to shoulder. The meaning of the initials on the obverse under the bust is unknown. Likewise, the identity of the artist of this piece is also unknown.

Reference: Trésor de Numismatique, Médailles Française 1, Plate LXVI, No. 5

Comments

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now that's a massive, well engraved, medal. The reverse is stunning. You keep outdoing yourself with these. Great purchase.
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would not surprise me if the "F" underneath the bust might mean Fecit.
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now that is a cool piece!

I did a doubletake when I saw the size.

Great design and work by the engraver.

It's in nice shape too. Congratulations.
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice medal.

The Cardinal looks like he is ready for a duel with the Three Musketeers.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭
    Thanks all!

Originally posted by: harasha

That is a possibility, though it would be unusual for it to be at the front.
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: WillieBoyd2

Nice medal.

The Cardinal looks like he is ready for a duel with the Three Musketeers.

+1.

Remarkable and wonderful reverse. Certainly the cardinal didn't suffer from any lack of ego it would seem. Congrats on another great addition to your collection.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fantastic medal Iosephus. A couple questions:

1) When was this likely struck? Or is is cast (I presume)?

-----I'm asking because the amount of force to strike a medal this size would be immense. Not sure what a drop press or screw press would look like that could accomplish that feat. If cast, it is of wonderful quality. At 300 grams, I guess the possibility of it being a repoussé piece with two sides joined at the edge is out of the question -- seems it would definitely be solid at that weight.

2) The artistry of the reverse is very special! Would the signature of "F C A G A E" be discernible if this piece is compared other pieces of this time of similar quality? Even if it remains a mystery, that is an amazing medal!

Congrats.

Best, Brandon
    -Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Iosephus, great designed reverse.
    Here's the story about Atlas and Hercules:
    Atlas and Hercules
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: STLNATS
    Remarkable and wonderful reverse. Certainly the cardinal didn't suffer from any lack of ego it would seem. Congrats on another great addition to your collection.

I think a lack of ego was not a problem for anybody in the higher echelons!

Originally posted by: brg5658
    Fantastic medal Iosephus. A couple questions:

1) When was this likely struck? Or is is cast (I presume)?
    -----I'm asking because the amount of force to strike a medal this size would be immense. Not sure what a drop press or screw press would look like that could accomplish that feat. If cast, it is of wonderful quality. At 300 grams, I guess the possibility of it being a repoussé piece with two sides joined at the edge is out of the question -- seems it would definitely be solid at that weight.

2) The artistry of the reverse is very special! Would the signature of "F C A G A E" be discernible if this piece is compared other pieces of this time of similar quality? Even if it remains a mystery, that is an amazing medal!

Congrats.

Best, Brandon

Indeed, as you presumed, it is a solid cast medal, dating from the mid-17th century. As an aside, it's also my heaviest piece.

Regarding the reverse, it is quite a strong piece of sculptural art, though I have not seen (in my admittedly neophytic experience) another medal that I would consider of similar style. I am also somewhat skeptical that the initials are necessarily those of the artist, as six initials is quite a few! It may be an abbreviated title or other phrase related to Mazarin. Nontheless, as you note, the medal remains quite enjoyable until the meaning becomes clearer (if ever).
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Andres
    Congrats Iosephus, great designed reverse.
    Here's the story about Atlas and Hercules:
    Atlas and Hercules

That's the story, but of course in it Hercules and Atlas can each support it by themselves. It would be unseemly if the good cardinal was as strong as only a single one of them!
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Indeed, as you presumed, it is a solid cast medal, dating from the mid-17th century. As an aside, it's also my heaviest piece.

Wow, there's absolutely amazing detail on the thing for a casting. The larger size helped of course, but still... I usually think of a cast as a bit more grainy with the associated loss of details, being more familiar with some of the lesser quality papal pieces. The artisan(s) that produced this medal were amazingly skilled and it's easy to understand why it fell into your net.

I think a lack of ego was not a problem for anybody in the higher echelons!

My comment was a bit tongue in cheek of course, but I always find many of these early clerics interesting since they obviously considered their vows (humility in this case) to be similar to the "pirate code," i.e., more suggestions than hard and fast rules and certainly more applicable. And I assume the good cardinal sponsored, or at least approved, the medal and that would seem to speak volumes as well.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    PatARPatAR Posts: 347 ✭✭✭
    A very nice (and HUGE) medal with an equally interesting story behind it. Well done indeed!

As I was studying the photo I found myself wondering if the band around the globe symbolizes anything. In other words, why is the band there as opposed to simply a perfectly round globe? Perhaps to demonstrate that Hercules and Atlas were each holding half of it? Is there anything more to that or just another of my random musings? image
  • Options
    Originally posted by: PatAR
    A very nice (and HUGE) medal with an equally interesting story behind it. Well done indeed!

As I was studying the photo I found myself wondering if the band around the globe symbolizes anything. In other words, why is the band there as opposed to simply a perfectly round globe? Perhaps to demonstrate that Hercules and Atlas were each holding half of it? Is there anything more to that or just another of my random musings? image

I must admit to being ignorant of the meaning of the band, but I know such representations go back to ancient times. For example, see this as of Tiberius sold by Heritage.
  • Options
    Some trivia:

"S.R.E." is Sancta Romana Ecclesia or Sanctae Romanae Ecclesia ("Most Holy Roman Church"; or, "of the Most Holy Roman Church")

A. P. Martial's 1873 book Nouveau traité de la gravure à l'eau-forte pour les peintres et les dessinateurs
    (it is online) lists the initials "F.C.A.G.A.E." as an unknown medal artist of the period of Louis XIII.

Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    BIGAL2749BIGAL2749 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: WillieBoyd2
    Some trivia:

"S.R.E." is Sancta Romana Ecclesia or Sanctae Romanae Ecclesia ("Most Holy Roman Church"; or, "of the Most Holy Roman Church")

A. P. Martial's 1873 book Nouveau traité de la gravure à l'eau-forte pour les peintres et les dessinateurs
    (it is online) lists the initials "F.C.A.G.A.E." as an unknown medal artist of the period of Louis XIII.

The great advantage of belonging to forum with such a source of knowledge

• Options
    This medal has inspired me to read Dumas' book The Three Musketeers.

Thank you for posting it.

Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    This is one of the most impressive medals I have ever seen.
    Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options

Hello
    I have exactly the same medal. Does anyone could estimat it please?
    Regards
    RFC

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

@harasha said:

... and the other initials may be those of the artist.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Old thread,but glad I got to see it.
    Beautiful medal.