Home Stamps Forum
Options

World Stamp Show 2016 in NYC

pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just in case anyone cares, there is a huge international philatelic show and exhibition in New York City this month. May 28-June 4 at the Javits Convention Center in NYC. Free admission.

Here is the website.

When I was a kid collecting stamps, I was always interested in these big stamp shows held in years that ended in '6'. And they always had cool souvenir sheets issued in conjunction with the shows.

I attended the big event in Philadelphia in 1976 (INTERPHIL I believe it was called) and had various family members each standing on different lines for me--always the schemer. To this day, my dad reminds me of that! I still have the catalog, passport, and souvenir sheets I purchased at that show, though the souvenir sheets are worth nothing more than face value now.

By 1986, I was no longer collecting stamps and lost track of if & where the show was held and if there were any souvenir sheets issued.

Fast forward to today and I am a customer of the German coin auction firm Christoph Gartner GMBH, who also auction stamps. I get their newsletter and it told me of a big auction in NYC, so I investigated and found the show. Maybe I'll attend for old times sake.

Anyone else?

Comments

• Options
    delistampsdelistamps Posts: 714 ✭✭✭
    I was also at Interphil. Fun times!
  • Options
    gsalexgsalex Posts: 213 ✭✭✭
    I considered attending, but living on the West Coast, it was not to be. These international shows only happen once a decade. I'd really like to get a report with photos if anyone attends.
    Intrigued by all things intaglio.
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭
    I heard the tables at this show were incredibly expensive!! Something like $12,000!?!?!
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just bought an INTERPHIL engraved cover with embedded silver round. I believe it's a Franklin Mint production. Cost: $20 (essentially melt) after all these years.