Home Testing Forum
Options

~ NG poll thread draft

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
WELCOME TO NUMISMATIC GLADIATOR IX!

To see how the earlier competitions went, click here.

1. Both contestants agreed to purchase a single coin from the assigned category.

2. The coin had to cost no more than $25.00 US.

3. In order to avoid either contestant having an advantage, contestants agreed to buy their coins from the same public venue.

4. Shipping was not included in the $25.00 limit.

5. You can now vote on which coin you like best without knowing which coin belongs to whom. That will be revealed at the end.

6. The person whose coin receives the most votes gets bragging rights and a sigline trophy.

(And the cool coin they purchased, obviously.)

This cointest will run until midnight Eastern on Friday, August 19, 2016.

Vote for whichever coin appeals to you most.

This need not be the one that is more monetarily valuable. Catalog and/or retail value should be weighed into the decision, of course, but this cointest is about overall desirability - eye appeal, history, design, etc. It is much more about collecting fun than "investment" value.

The coins are presented here in chronological order, in similar sized images (though note that the actual coins themselves may differ widely in physical size).

Which do you like better?

COIN A: 1943 British India silver half-rupee, clipped planchet and partial collar error @ $4.25 from eBay.

NGC/Krause priceguide listing (for non-error coins)

Message from the gladiator who bought Coin A:

Why I chose this coin: Even without an error, I feel British India coins of this era are very interesting and eye appealing. The coin has very intricate design elements both at the rim and on the edge, and I found the way the metal flow from the clip interacted with those elements to be uniquely fascinating. I am also drawn to error coins from the World War II era, in many countries (including the US) quality slipped and errors increased as focus was shifted to manufacturing for the war effort.

COIN B: 19(70-83) Mexico 1-peso, major off-center error, @ $24.00 from eBay.

NGC/Krause priceguide listing (for non-error coins)

Message from the gladiator who bought Coin B:

I picked this coin because of general lack of Mexican coins in my collection. I felt like a world coin would be more interesting for this contest and looked at many different countries, but kept going back to Mexico. I wanted something with at least a partial date, but still a dramatic error and this coin fit the bill while still being a good value.

Hats off to our cointestants! May the "best" coin win! imageimage

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.