Home Sports Talk
Options

Mlb "farewell tours"

craig44craig44 Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
Does anyone else think that these new "farewell tours" going on in mlb in the last few years are a little weird? I just watched the white Sox farewell to ortiz a few minutes ago, and it came across as a little awkward. I mean, ortiz doesn't really have a memorable history with Chicago and never played for them. Seems like it is becoming expected now. I understand if the players team recognizes them, but a victory lap around the league? Just seems a bit narcissistic and overdone. You can be sure ortiz wanted this treatment, or he wouldn't have announced retirement before the season. I mean, he isn't even a transcended player. He is a very good dh, aided by ped's. Just seems overdone, and I'm a red Sox fan. What do you think?

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

Comments

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oddly, one of Ortiz's "wishes" was that on his last trip to Yankee Stadium, that the fans given him a standing ovation!! Talk about ego!

As you may have read, I was at the second Braves game a couple of weeks ago. My view from the first base side was directly into the Red Sox dugout. Ortiz mostly sat by himself away from everyone, which I thought was odd. About half-way through the game, they did a montage of Ortiz on the jumbotron...Ortiz made it to the top of the dugout steps, took off his cap and waved to the crowd...maybe for 15-20 seconds. That was it. Not long after, Ortiz disappeared and not seen again.

IMO, all the hoopla should be focused on his last game in Fenway. Not everybody loves Ortiz.
  • Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: MCMLVToppsIMO, all the hoopla should be focused on his last game in Fenway. Not everybody loves Ortiz.

I'm not sure anybody outside of Boston even likes Ortiz. In my lifetime I can think of four players for whom a farewell tour would have been appropriate: Mickey Mantle, Willie Mays, Hank Aaron and Nolan Ryan. These were players who were loved everywhere and who were obviously going into the HOF on the first ballot with over 90% of the vote. If the fans in NYC or wherever want to spontaneously give Ortiz or anyone else a standing ovation they are free to do so, but I doubt any city would unless told to do so.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Totally agree is arrogant to ask for a standing O, only place it should be expected is in your home stadium.
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not a fan of over the top look-at-me farewell tours in general, but- Big Sloppy asking for standing O's? Really? You had a decent career, you got paid well-probably more than you're worth imo- so just say goodbye to your home town fans, take the free car, motorcycle, boat, whatever they give you, say thanks and call it good.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    I forgot about the standing ovation at Yankee stadium. Ugh. I have been a Boston fan for 30 years and am totally over ortiz and his whole shtick. The giant gold chains and watching each home run as it clears the fence. Can you imagine him pulling that against Ryan or Gibson? He probably wouldn't have left the stadium under his own power after his next at bat. He is a show boat, but apparently the media likes him, because he is never called on it.

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    Do not like the theatrics at all.
    I just hope the sox do not offer him another contract to stay.
    He has been an ok player but it is time to move on.
    The sox will find somebody to take his place.
  • Options
    I hate to say it but I'm way tired of Ortiz too however the magical memories that he brought to Red Sox lore is unforgettable to me so I will give him a pass.
  • Options
    It amazes me how much universal praise he gets from the media, and the whole PED thing is just forgotten

• Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: MCMLVTopps

Oddly, one of Ortiz's "wishes" was that on his last trip to Yankee Stadium, that the fans given him a standing ovation!! Talk about ego!

He got a lot of applause last night from Yankees fans, especially when he was ejected. image

• Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    Does Ortiz not understand the 100 year old "feud" between Boston and NY? Just a thought. How can he "wish" a standing ovation at Yankee Stadium, when Yankees fans don't even like him...

Though Boston did it for Jeter so I guess anything is possible. Jeter was Jeter though...
    Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options
    TomiTomi Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    I thought you were pretty much done when you test positive for PED's. The fact that he in my opinion is the laziest player that I have ever seen just makes me care less about his exit from the game. The only guy who can turn a double into a single. It will be a very sad day if he gets into Cooperstown for me. Seems that he's getting a free pass as he leaves. Oh well.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Gemyanks10
    Does Ortiz not understand the 100 year old "feud" between Boston and NY? Just a thought. How can he "wish" a standing ovation at Yankee Stadium, when Yankees fans don't even like him...

Though Boston did it for Jeter so I guess anything is possible. Jeter was Jeter though...
    the feud is made up mainly by the fans, the players deep down don't care.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Laziest player you have ever seen? He's only the 3rd laziest player on the current Red Sox team image
  • Options
    I don't know, I'm pretty sure that Jason varitek and aroid don't care to much for each other. Just sayin'

• Options
    Originally posted by: craig44
    I don't know, I'm pretty sure that Jason varitek and aroid don't care to much for each other. Just sayin'

That's an extreme case though, Arod was one of the biggest bush league players ever. Not since the 70's and 80's have ball players really given much care to rivalries in my opinion. And speaking of lazy Ortiz isn't in the same realm of laziness as Panda and Hanley
  • Options
    I don't know. Pedro and shilling hated the Yankees. There was also a lot of hatred going on back in the 1970's. Bill Lee and Greg nettles had a doneybrook I think there were some things involving munson back then too. So I do think there is a rivalry between players.

• Options
    Originally posted by: craig44
    I don't know. Pedro and shilling hated the Yankees. There was also a lot of hatred going on back in the 1970's. Bill Lee and Greg nettles had a doneybrook I think there were some things involving munson back then too. So I do think there is a rivalry between players.

I will give you Pedro and possibly Schilling, and like I said in my post it's been mostly since the 70's and 80's since "Teams" have generally disliked each other, nowadays players go where the money is. Boggs, Ellsbury ect..
  • Options
    I agree, there is much less loyalty among modern players. I still think there are some fiery, passionate modern players for whom the rivalries are still alive. Someone like pedroia or meathead papelbon comes to mind.

• Options
    Its out of hand and should be reserved for huge nationally beloved names.
  • Options
    I especially love when they say they don't want the attention, the ceremonies, gifts and are embarrassed. But yet are sure to announce it before the year starts so the other teams can make their plans. Jeter?

Class is when they quietly announce it near the end of the season ala heath Miller etc.
  • Options
    MLB wants it because it sells tickets. Come get your last chance to see this shmuck play. Of course it worked on me with Jeter being a big fan lol i went to as many games as i could .
  • Options

It would work better if they retired before they completely sucked. If you want to do a farewell tour while theres still some gas in the tank I could get behind it.

So far I can't think of any examples of that happening
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    How about David Ortiz as an example.
    He is hitting over 300 and today he hit a home run, a triple and a double.
    He drove in the game tieing run in the bottom of the ninth and the winning run in the 11th.
    He joined the 500 home run and 600 double club with only 2 other members in it.
    This is quite a farewell tour if you ask me.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: pitboss
    How about David Ortiz as an example.
    He is hitting over 300 and today he hit a home run, a triple and a double.
    He drove in the game tieing run in the bottom of the ninth and the winning run in the 11th.
    He joined the 500 home run and 600 double club with only 2 other members in it.
    This is quite a farewell tour if you ask me.

I was actually throwing stones at Jeter when I wrote that image