Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

ECB to stop printing 500 Euro note in 2018

Just heard on CNBC that the ECB will stop printing the 500 Euro note

in 2018 but will remain in use indefinitely.
Marty

US Obsoletes esp NJ, WEB Notes,

National Iron Bank of Morristown (#1113) and Irish Currency

Comments

• Options
    amrysamrys Posts: 143
    Yes, that's true.
    But they have already started to withdraw this note.
    At the end of 2015 there were 613 million 500 Euro notes in circulation.
    In March 2016 there were already 20 million less counted, around 594 million.
    And now they will speed up this process...

• Options
    rooksmithrooksmith Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭
    If they are really going to let the existing ones remain in use, this is not a big deal. Sometimes a government will actually force people to register them to cash them in to get new notes, or worse, stop honoring them as currency after a given date.

I expect the notes will become rarer over time.
    “When you don't know what you're talking about, it's hard to know when you're finished.” - Tommy Smothers
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Howdy.
    I typically hang out over the coin forum, but picked these up today at US Bank and thought I would share:

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭✭✭

I picked up an uncirculated example back when this announcement was made in 2016.

• Options

Ireland and Finland are among the scarcer 500 euro notes in AU or better.

• Options
    Serial_no_8Serial_no_8 Posts: 424 ✭✭✭

This was from EuroBillTracker years ago (2013). If you check it today, you'll see the diffusion of prefixes as different today:

France (U & E prefixes & 23.51% reported Most common*
    Spain(V prefix & 15.38% reported Most common
    Germany(W; X & R prefixes & 14.8% Most common
    Belgium (Z prefix & 9.23% reported Common to uncommon (depending on denomination)
    Italy (S prefix & 9.01% reported Common
    Greece (Y prefix & 7.1% reported Common to uncommon (depending on denomination & printer's code)
    Austria (N prefix & 5.99% reported): Common
    Netherlands (P prefix & 5.21% reported): Uncommon to scarce (depending on denomination & printer's code)
    Portugal (M prefix & 4.08% reported): Uncommon to scarce (depending on denomination & printer's code)
    Ireland (T prefix & 2.64% reported): uncommon & scarce

• Just IMO from watching them over the years but denominations & printer's code really have a huge bearing on how uncommon. Generally, if the note has a foreign printer's code (like a M prefix but printed in UK) than its much rarer than if it were printed in the same country.
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭

I am mostly in the Sports Cards and World Coin forums, but do some currency collecting. If the last year of the 500 euro note was 2018, where can I find some uncirculated examples? I know I am probably late to the game, but I thought I ask. Should I keep looking on eBay for ones that are graded? I see mostly the first year issue (2002). I just want the last and final year.

I can get 500 euro notes from currency exchange places, but they are usually no better than almost uncirculated. I do make it to Germany and Portugal a few times a year, I guess it doesn't hurt to ask various banks if they happen to have any stored in a special place. Any insights would be appreciated.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee