Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

Are these fractionals related?

Just looking through some past auctions on Heritage and noticed this one.

Link to $400 "error" Heritage

It reminded me of these, which have a cool story and HUGE pricetag. Look at the rounded outside bar overprint surrounding the main block. Also, both are 25cent with the "S 18-63" on back.

Link to Heriage

Comments

• dtreterdtreter Posts: 108 ✭✭✭
  • tomtomtomtomtomtomtomtom Posts: 541 ✭✭✭✭
    It looks like the edge of the overprint on the Treasury sheets used on the experimental fractionals.

The overprint is 90 degrees turned compared to the experimental set and this is a regular issue, not an experimental. I have not found any reference to this existing if indeed this is from the same paper.
  • dtreterdtreter Posts: 108 ✭✭✭
    Maybe Slasher can give us his opinion on this. he is the expert on fractionals. i agree what tomtomtom said.
  • SlasherSlasher Posts: 33 ✭✭✭
    Sorry for the late reply but I invoked a higher power to offer up an explanation.........

"The note is a real error...likely somehow related to the use of paper that had a bronze partial overprint like the one that shows on the block. So much went on during this time with no controls that things like this have no logical explanation."
    To be the man, you've gotta beat the man!!!
  • SMCSMC Posts: 15 ✭✭
    This is actually a wrong paper error. The Treasury department required that experimentals of the second issue be printed on distinctive paper which is where we get our Treasury Dept. rectangles. There were also some sheets of bond paper on which experimental National Bank Note were to be printed on. These had bronze in different types, such as the FIFTY, 50, etc., some of which were surrounded by a bronze border. There are two examples of regular issue notes being printed on this paper and showing the edge of the bronze as the first one in the OP did. Interestingly, there is one 25c known (in original post) and one 10c known. Both of these were in the HA sale of the Tom O'Mara collection, Lots 16330 and 16331.
    Clark was innocent