Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

Does this obsolete note look odd?

I didn't bid on this, maybe someone else on the forum did. The note is in rough shape, but it still looked peculiar to me. What do other members think -- counterfeit? And if so, what would be a typical price?

Intrigued by all things intaglio.

Comments

• DanCongDanCong Posts: 196
    one on HA looks the same. It is rather grey and flat looking, but I do not know enough about these to opine that it is counterfeit. After all, lots of counterfeits look great.

HA result $27
  • BernyBerny Posts: 132 ✭✭✭
    It is a counterfeit. Just look at the medallions. However, it is not listed in Haxby or in Hoober.

Bernie
    Always looking for material from the Niagara river region.

It is a counterfeit. Just look at the medallions. However, it is not listed in Haxby or in Hoober.

Bernie

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Heritage note is C44a, but this counterfeit is a cruder unlisted hybrid of the G44 and G46 designs.
    Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • gsalexgsalex Posts: 218 ✭✭✭
    I think someone got a bargain on it then. Berny, would you care to put an estimate on what it might bring retail if it was correctly identified?
  • sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe, maybe not.

We don't really know how rare this particular cft. is. Even if rare, the value is pretty limited by the grade and general availability of the bank. Maybe $25-50?.

I'd ask the $2 note collectors on this forum, the Omegas, if they have seen this one.

Also check heritage archives but be aware that they made have sold one or two (or more) of these in lots back in the old CAA days, when many obsoletes were sold in lots and not included in the Heritage Archives.
    Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
    Here ($29 a couple of years ago) is my version of the unlisted hybrid:

Here is another (not mine) ugly Frankenstein version of C44a:

So not that scarce.

Bernie

• gsalexgsalex Posts: 218 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Berny and Sellitstore. Were these notes typically beat up by the counterfeiters to look worn and heavily circulated in order to give them more credibility?
    Originally posted by: gsalex

Thanks Berny. Were these notes typically beat up by the counterfeiters to look worn and heavily circulated in order to give them more credibility?
    Yes. It is harder to tell a counterfeit in bad condition.

Bernie