Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Collecting Draped Bust Half Cents for Under $500 per coin

AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

I enjoyed writing about Draped Bust Half Cents. I concluded that, for less than $500 per coin, a set of Draped Bust half cents ‘by date’ can be completed, with a Spiked Chin 1804 and a ‘Large 6’ 1806. For most dates, a coin that PCGS has graded from VF-25 to EF-45 can be found without difficulty.

For an 1802/0, a collector with a $500 per coin limit may have to settle for a heavily circulated or not gradable coin. For some other dates, however, nice EF-45 grade coins may be purchased for less than $500.

Classic U.S. Coins for less than $500 each: Draped Bust Half Cents

Are any forum members collecting Draped Bust Half Cents or thinking about beginning a set?

"In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me

Comments

• Options
    msch1manmsch1man Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭
    I pretty seriously contemplated doing a "date set" of Draped Bust Half Cents about a year or two ago. Even though I ultimately decided just one for type was good enough (for now), I still find myself looking at them quite a bit. Half Cents are hands down (by a wide margin) the most affordable Draped Bust series out there (even with the 1802/0) to collect by date. It's got a lot going for it, but just doesn't seem to have that strong of a following. Half Cent Die States by Manley is a great reference for anyone considering the series (it covers all the half cents from 1793-1857). While I'm sure you could put together most of a set in VF at just about any major show, like most series, finding truly choice coins would take much more time and patience. I think a choice VF set while stretching for a nice Fine 1802/0 would really be something in the end.
  • Options
    EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just read your article on Draped Bust half cents. Very interesting series and quite a number of collectors I know collect this series. Its really interesting to know that you can put together a relatively short series that dates over 200 years ago for under $500 per coin.

I really never thought about this series. Thank you for this article.
    Easton Collection
  • Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the draped bust coins but....

I don't think I could do it.

Just finding one that suited for my type set was frustrating.

It's not the money but finding ones that I like the look of with relatively few marks.

I admit that I am picky but man! These early coppers are tough to find mark free with a nice look.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file