Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Late 70's Baseball Wax euphoria wearing off?

Current Items on Robert Edward:

Back into collecting after a 10 yr layoff.

Always looking for 1970-1990 Football/Baseball

-Boxes

-Cases

-BBCE

-FASC

Comments

• Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭
    ?
  • Options
    Except the image didnt post.

77 Topps Baseball Wax BBCE $2,500

78 Topps Baseball Wax BBCE $1,400

Seems a bit low.

-Boxes

-Cases

-BBCE

-FASC
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With BP, that's 3K for the 77 box and $1,680 for the 78 box plus shipping. I would say those prices are a bit low, but not terribly so for generic boxes (not FASC).

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭
    Don't forget this auction still has around seven hours left people!!image
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: mikelowell25

Don't forget this auction still has around seven hours left people!!image

Good point, also, lol..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Yep great point, extensions. Guess nothing matters till the hammer. Still see great premium on on early 70's wax, rack, cello and cases.

-Boxes

-Cases

-BBCE

-FASC
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    It's got at least 4 more hours, I've seen things double and quadruple towards the end.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    Closed out: '77 final $3,600 with BP and '78 $2,160 with BP.

I spoke way too early.

-Boxes

-Cases

-BBCE

-FASC
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    I do think the 1978-85 Topps baseball has topped out/leveled off however the football and basketball is extremely hot and still climbing. The industry rarely sees sales from the early 70's or earlier so it is very difficult to gauge the interest or value of the product. We have seen unopened boxes from 72-77 pop up occasionally on BBCE or in an auction. Although extremely desirable, pricing seems to remain strong but no record breakers. In the situation of the 1971 Topps box in HA, general consensus collectors are thinking that this box is $40,000 because of the last sale from years back. A 1971 Topps box is pretty tough to find so I think we will see heavy action on this one.
    Basketball has almost gone up 25% in the last year. In 2015, BBCE had a 1986/87 Fleer box for $31,500 which Evan purchased and now these are selling strongly around the $39K mark. At that same time 1987 Fleer was selling for $4200 and now they are pushing $5400 a box.
    In response to your post, I think certain years are slowing down which could be a great time to buy. These boxes are not going down but they will slow down at some point. With the pricing of rookies in high grade, the unopened only gets more expensive.

Shane
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: jaust324

Closed out: '77 final $3,600 with BP and '78 $2,160 with BP.

I spoke way too early.

Those prices are just about right IMO. BBCEx has the 77T box at $3400 I believe and the 78T at $2200.

Mike
  • Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: 1954

Basketball has almost gone up 25% in the last year. In 2015, BBCE had a 1986/87 Fleer box for $31,500 which Evan purchased and now these are selling strongly around the $39K mark. At that same time 1987 Fleer was selling for $4200 and now they are pushing $5400 a box.
    In response to your post, I think certain years are slowing down which could be a great time to buy. These boxes are not going down but they will slow down at some point. With the pricing of rookies in high grade, the unopened only gets more expensive.

Shane

I agree basketball has been moving up nicely the last few years and while '86 has gotten too expensive recently I'm torn between 1987 and 1988. I know '88 has better rookies but '87 is more rare and has all the great 2nd year cards. I've been watching the heritage auction going on and I think the half box 87 pack collection would go higher then an 88 box but this will be an interesting one to watch as the 88 is currently winning.
    1987 half box
    1988 box
    Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options
    Agree as well. The pre '87 Football and pre 88 basketball is picking up steam. I plan on starting the 79-86 Football cache next month. Currently hunting for a couple missing baseball Rack boxes and some tough to find FASC (Fleer is proving extremely difficult, may just buy cases) and a couple GPK series and on to the next project.

-Boxes

-Cases

-BBCE

-FASC