Home U.S. Coin Forum

Coins in the "Palace Collectons of Egypt"

dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
Since I will probably never own a 1913 Liberty Nickel, I collect related items. One of these are the auction catalogs of sales that included one.

After procrastinating on a BIN way back in 2002, I started to seriously look for this catalog in the last 2 years. The ones I found have all been $300 or more. Then a few weeks ago, one showed up on Ebay with a much smaller BIN, so I jumped on it.

Now that I have the catalog, most listings are pretty dull, with entire sets of coins in each lot (for example, the nickels included all dates from 1866 - 1948, including the 1913 Liberty Head and 1937-D 3-legged)

I was curious if anyone knew if this collection was mostly business strikes or if it included proofs in the Philadelphia slots (like the Eliasberg collection).

The nickel set would have included the 1880 Shield along with an 1885 and 1886. The Half Cents included all dates, but was missing the 1796 no pole (meaning it did have the 1796 with pole)

Is there a provenance for these coins. Would be interesting to know something you owned was once part of such a massive set.
Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053

Comments

• EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is very difficult to trace a coin to that sale by the catalog alone. Some dealers who bought at the sale include the pedigree info with the coin. Other coins you can assume came from the sale though circumstantial evidence, but to get it on the holder at PCGS you have to have some really good evidence.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file