Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Where are the #$%@& bands?!

messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
This is generally the first thing people say upon close inspection of the gold Mercs at Central States.

Comments

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was really excited to see the Mint come out with these 3 coins, but after seeing the final version with NO BANDS, I said to myself forget it.

Cannot wait to see just how terrible the Quarter and Half look.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's the most recognized characteristic of a well struck Merc.

I haven't seen one yet. Are they really not FSB?

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: sparky64
    It's the most recognized characteristic of a well struck Merc.

I haven't seen one yet. Are they really not FSB?

These are pictures (excellent pictures) that illini420 posted in another thread

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We got ours today and I like them for what they are, but as I stated elsewhere, given gold's malleability it wouldn't have been difficult to get some serious FSB strikes had they bothered to simply engrave the bands properly. (Also I'm sure the TPGs wouldn't have minded the income from subs-and resubs- going after the FSB designation.)

Anyone taking odds on the likelihood of FH Standing Lib gold when it comes out?

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad I passed.

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    Thanks TO.

Yeah, fell a little short on that detail. Too bad.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When looking at these in hand, the bands are so small anyways that you would hardly be able to tell FB had they done it anyways. The nearly unanimous reaction to those I have shown the coins to in person think they are much better than they expected and that they love it. These are going to be popular in the long-term and I can only see demand growing as the other two gold coins, the quarter and the half, come out later this year.

I don't buy that the Mint couldn't have made these FB based on their technology and the size of the coin... there are much finer details on this coin that show very well.

When details of the coin first came out, I thought it was much more problematic that the coin was going to be minted on the gold buffalo sized blanks, meaning that the coin wasn't going to be the same diameter as a real dime. I thought that was going to really kill this coin's popularity, but in looking at the coin in hand, even side by side with silver Mercury Dimes, the size difference is almost unnoticeable and certainly not a deal breaker.

Finally, the Mint has said the larger coins, the quarter and the half, will have the details much more accurately represented. The gold Standing Liberty Quarter is on display at the Central States show and those who I have heard from who seen it say it's pretty great. Here's a pic originally posted by PAN on their Facebook page and shared by Mint News Blog:

I'm in for at least one of those when they go on sale for sure!
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: illini420

When looking at these in hand, the bands are so small anyways that you would hardly be able to tell FB had they done it anyways. The nearly unanimous reaction to those I have shown the coins to in person think they are much better than they expected and that they love it. These are going to be popular in the long-term and I can only see demand growing as the other two gold coins, the quarter and the half, come out later this year.

I don't buy that the Mint couldn't have made these FB based on their technology and the size of the coin... there are much finer details on this coin that show very well.

When details of the coin first came out, I thought it was much more problematic that the coin was going to be minted on the gold buffalo sized blanks, meaning that the coin wasn't going to be the same diameter as a real dime. I thought that was going to really kill this coin's popularity, but in looking at the coin in hand, even side by side with silver Mercury Dimes, the size difference is almost unnoticeable and certainly not a deal breaker.

Finally, the Mint has said the larger coins, the quarter and the half, will have the details much more accurately represented. The gold Standing Liberty Quarter is on display at the Central States show and those who I have heard from who seen it say it's pretty great. Here's a pic originally posted by PAN on their Facebook page and shared by Mint News Blog:

I'm in for at least one of those when they go on sale for sure!

And the quarter being the exact same diameter as a 20c piece, 22mm, will provide a much larger canvas to enjoy.

• Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    I don't buy that the Mint couldn't have made these FB based on their technology and the size of the coin...

"Mint spokesman Michael White said the absence of full bands on the 2016 gold dimes is the result of the evolution of production technology."

Sigh.

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW, why doesn't the mint do a 140th anniversary of that 1876! That would really be nice!
  • Options
    I like your observations illini. Makes sense too, regarding the size, etc...

The SLQ's are looking quite promising.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Easier to find the beef than the bands.
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not surprised.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    Well I really admire the pictures that illini420 posted for the incredible quality of the pictures, not the coin.

The Mint could have split the middle bands and done it right if they wanted to pay a bit extra for some hand tooling, but it was cheaper not to. On the bright side, their profits help to pay off the National debt ($19.26 Trillion), so we better buy a bunch more coins from them at really high mark-ups so that we can all be debt free.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,132 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The bands are on the other side of the stalks.

peacockcoins

• Options
    CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No interest in what I consider a modern day mint-made gimmick.

'dude
    Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's what the market will bare..
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,132 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: CharlotteDude
    No interest in what I consider a modern day mint-made gimmick.

'dude

This is almost an exact quote from a book I read on early Commemoratives.
    The book was written in the early 50's.

Some lines of thinking never change!

peacockcoins

• Options
    Originally posted by: braddick

Maybe I mis-stated something? I was referring to this in the middle is not distinct in the 2016 coins.

• Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭
    Future generations may refer to this as the 2016 Band Blunder....

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The center horizontal crossbands should be split as they are on an original Mercury Dime, but on the gold coin they are not... though a very close inspection you can see the start of a faint split that is very softly struck into the design.

More puzzling, is that the two diagonal bands on the gold coin are split, more so on the lower diagonal band which is nearly fully split. That isn't the case on the original Mercury Dime! I don't think I've ever seen a silver Mercury Dime w/ split diagonal bands, not even the proofs! This is the reason I said they Mint could have made that central horizontal band split if they wanted to. I would guess that the designers/engravers who were using their computers to scan the originals in and work on the design, just were not numismatists and didn't realize the importance of that central band to collectors. After the fact, the Mint seems to be just spinning and claiming that 100 years later they just can't do it anymore... whatever!

• Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    I passed on this one. Cost too high, for a poor looking dime. There is all kinds of detail missing. They must have used a VF-XF example for their model.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: epcjimi1

I don't buy that the Mint couldn't have made these FB based on their technology and the size of the coin...

"Mint spokesman Michael White said the absence of full bands on the 2016 gold dimes is the result of the evolution of production technology."

Sigh.

In the past, some Mercury Dimes had incomplete bands. Now with 100 years of "the evolution of production technology", they have finally figured out a way to make them all incomplete.

They are very proud of that. It's just that they didn't understand which direction the goal should be.

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My opinion matters little, but for the record I passed, never liked the look.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: cheezhed

Glad I passed.

me 2.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe it is intentional and there are just a few purposeful rarities with full bands.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be nice, if the bands were more prominent/visible.

But this detail alone wouldn't prevent me from buying one in the future.

Can you imagine the premium, if someone discovers one with full split bands??!!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ms70
    Maybe it is intentional and there are just a few purposeful rarities with full bands.

Now that would be fun.

• Options
    dadamsdadams Posts: 376 ✭✭✭

Sigh.

devolution

• Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Goldminers

Originally posted by: braddick

Maybe I mis-stated something? I was referring to this in the middle is not distinct in the 2016 coins.

Uh--I think Braddick's post was tongue-in-cheek.
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sigh

Spoken like a true politician. Sort of like the evolution of the human race as shown in Idiocracy.

Coins that collectors pay a handsome premium for should represent the ne plus ultra of minting technology.

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: fcloud
    There is all kinds of detail missing. They must have used a VF-XF example for their model.

More likely a 1945.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    Kind of ironic that Mr. Dan Carr can produce dies that are exact copies of coin designs but the US Mint with a team of engravers and all of their resources can't get it right . . .

HH

Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a load of $&!%.

Coins that collectors pay a handsome premium for should represent the ne plus ultra of minting technology.

An accurate statement.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    Hope you guys don't get suckered into paying big bucks for 70's. It appears most are 70. If you want something special buy a 68.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coin World Online has this story that explains on P. 2 why the coins do not have the bands:

http://www.coinworld.com/news/...n-min-inventory.2.html

Personally I think that they deliberately got rid of them to avoid returns of anything that was not 100% fully struck. You know that certain buyers would have done that.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Mint spokesman Michael White said the absence of full bands on the 2016 gold dimes is the result of the evolution of production technology. “In 1916, only certain levels of detail were able to be machined into hubs/dies by the Janvier transfer engraving machines,” White said via email. “When finer details were required, such as those found in the original Mercury Dime, that detail had to be hand scribed into the tooling by artisans of the day. “This hand scribing of additional detail in the tooling stage was phased out many years ago. The current digital process enables the Mint to achieve very high levels of detail. “However coin diameter, coupled with the physical limitations of milling steel hubs/dies while trying to achieve fidelity of detail, are all connected. Some limitations in detail achieved are inherent in the process.”

The spokesman is not very well spoken except in speaking double talk.

Are you buying it? The excuse, that is

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    U.S. Mint officials awaiting decision on unsold gold dimes
    Nearly 3,800 2016-W Winged Liberty Head Centennial pieces in inventory

I dunno, perhaps they should sell them? image
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will there be another outcry over Liberty's Bare Bust??? image
  • Options
    Originally posted by: amwldcoin

There was never a first outcry, according to many numismatic historians.

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a Quick mold, with a Quick story, for the mint to make Quick bucks, to sell to fools Quickly!
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So sad that with the advent of great technology, the US Mint finds it impossible to replicate the designer's intended design from 100 years ago! Talk about the less-than-intelligent group they have there! Amazing!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

Or lack thereof.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: amwldcoin

Expect there to be nothing there, the specific detail being beyond the Mint's capability to engrave!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    If I bought these to collect, I would have returned them. I think the mint really dropped the ball here.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a joke, but I would not of wanted one either way. They are NOTHING I would ever want....like all the rest of the mint STUFF.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: DIMEMAN
    It's a joke, but I would not of wanted one either way. They are NOTHING I would ever want....like all the rest of the mint STUFF.

Such as the mint-set-only 1996-W dime? image

• Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

The Coin Lobby successfully blocked any plan to restrike a superior Coin.

Sorry but if you want an MS69 with FULL Bands you need to bust out the monster

Checkbook and lay down some serious money.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file