Home U.S. Coin Forum

U.S. Coin question in tonight's bar trivia!

ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
The question asked tonight was who was the first person to appear on a U.S. coin?

I assumed that it was anything that was made for general circulation and after the Mint was established. The 'correct' answer was Lincoln (even OK Google picked it), but the other coin I thought of was Columbus for the 1892 half dollar, which also circulated.

Which answer would you have provided?

Comments

• hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I probably would have guessed Lady Liberty if I had been sitting in a bar all dayimage
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do believe that the Isabella quarters were made sequentially to the Columbian Expo halfs, so then Cristoforo Columbus and Isabella, Queen of Spain were the 1st persons. You did not state that the trivia question specified circulation coinage. Lincoln was a distant fifth, since Generals Washington and Lafayette appeared on the Lafayette Dollar in 1900.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• kookoox10kookoox10 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭
    Does Washington count as in the 1783 Washington & Independence colonial issue? Or are they looking for strictly a standard US mint made issue?
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anne Willing Bingham? Martha Washington?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: kookoox10

Does Washington count as in the 1783 Washington & Independence colonial issue? Or are they looking for strictly a standard US mint made issue?

W & I coppers not a coin and no indication that they were ever accepted as tender. And made in England.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jefferson, McKinley, Lewis, Clark...........
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first person to be on a U S coin was Columbus on the 1892 Columbian half dollar.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was thinking Lincoln (1909).

I guess it depends on how you phrase the question...who was the first president on a coin meant for circulation? Who was the first "identifiable" person on a coin made in the USA?
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file