Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

National fans, do your part!

You may have seen a post or two of mine related to the Smithsonian's certified proof collection of national bank notes, from the BEP. I have become a big fan of this endeavor, so indulge me as I step up on my soapbox.

It amazes me that so few collectors are doing any volunteer transcribing on this historic project. There are rarities here you will probably never see anywhere else. Transcribing simply involves typing out the bank name and entering basic data like charter number, signatures, certification date, etc. Or if you prefer, you can just review and approve the work of other transcribers. It's easy, it costs nothing, and you are helping prepare this collection for the entire paper money community.

But the best part is what you get out of it -- transcribers get the first look at what's in these boxes of proofs; something that used to require a visit to the Smithsonian and special permission. What's more, you can go back and look through all the proofs that have already been transcribed. Right now that's Alabama to Pennsylvania, including territories like Alaska, Dakota, Hawaii and Indian Territory -- more than 3,000 proof sheets.

Here's a link to the projects of the National Museum of American History, where the NBN proofs reside: BEP certified proof sheets Three more boxes of Pennsylvania proofs were just put up today!

And here's where you sign up.
NOTE: Transcribing on these boxes goes FAST -- often they are completed a day or two after they are posted. So there's not always an active project to work on, but keep checking back.

Here are five good reasons to get involved...

Intrigued by all things intaglio.