Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Registry Set Coins - "Made" coins or acquired?

Do Registry Set "players" assemble their sets primarily by acquiring coins in their current grades, or are the majority of the pieces "made" by the registrant? I don't have the skills to accurately grade high-end pieces consistently so most of my collections are comprised of coins I purchased in the desired grade. I don't have access to volumes of raw coins, and my record of submitting coins for potential upgrades is a failure.

My guess is that most of us purchase the coins in grades we're looking for, but the top players have resources and access to volumes of raw coins and/or graded coins, which can be re-submitted.....

What say you?
What we've got here is failure to communicate.....

Successful BST xactions w/PCcoins, Drunner, Manofcoins, Rampage, docg, Poppee, RobKool, and MichealDixon.

Comments

• dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both. For my varieties, I have submitted almost all of them for grading, for the others I pick them up graded mostly, but have in many cases submitted them (the last Shield Nickel for my everyman set was submitted raw for example)
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    I do both too image
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm just under 30% finished with my set.

I've purchased every one. As is.

It is a goal of mine to try and make some.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    50/50-ish
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • AblinkyAblinky Posts: 625 ✭✭✭
    I've purchased the majority of coins as is, though I have crossed coins in order to have all PCGS coins for my sets.

Andrew Blinkiewicz-Heritage

• rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Years ago I made many coins. Simply can't find the same quality raw any more.
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003