Home Stamps Forum
Options

Post your favorite overprints!

gsalexgsalex Posts: 213 ✭✭✭
Overprints served all manner of purposes -- to redenominate a new postage rate, to change postage to revenue or other use, to denote occupation by a foreign country (or sometimes indicate a new country), to spread propaganda, and the list goes on. I went through my collection and found a few favorites. What can other members add?

This Bolivian consular overprint is the only one I've seen that uses metallic ink.

The Nicaragua official overprints were not particularly well printed and this double overprint error is a good example of the sloppy work.

These barrel-shaped overprints were a way for the government to legitimize postage during the Mexican Revolution, when rebels took over towns and raided post offices. They come in an assortment of ink colors and came to be nicknamed the "Barrils."

In post-WWI Carinthia, a referendum was voted on as to whether the former duchy should join Yugoslavia or remain with Austria. To raise funds in support of the Yugoslavian vote, newspaper stamps were overprinted and sold at three times face value. Despite the attractive printing, Carinthia voted to stay with Austria.

My most amusing and ironic overprint has to be this one from the Philippines. It’s a double overprint; the later one, added in 1973, was to reduce the denomination from 6 to 5 sentimos (centavos). The earlier overprint was part of an anti-smuggling campaign in 1966. But when President Ferdinand Marcos was deposed in 1986 and gold bricks and jewels were found in the presidential palace, the slogan “HELP ME STOP SMUGGLING” began to look more like a personal cry for help than a national edict.
Intrigued by all things intaglio.

Comments

• Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭

I have a lot of over-marked stamps from the hyper-inflation years between the Wars from Germany. My son used them at show-and-tell decades ago at school.

• Options

My favourite are the Imperial Arms and post horns type stamps of the Russian Empire shown above were overprinted and re-valued between late 1922 and early 1923. These stamps are referred to as the Stars Issue.
    The overprint features a star with the symbols of agriculture (sickle) and industry (hammer), which would eventually be used as the national emblem of the USSR.

and airmail stamp from the Philippine

• Options

What garlic is to salad, insanity is to art. (Augustus Saint-Gaudens)