Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Question with regard to currency condition indicators...

Is it generally accepted that if currency displays a ripply surface that it has been pressed with an iron?

Thanks for the help.

Cheers

Bob

Comments

• Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭
    The wet printing process produced wavy notes. Usually pressed notes will be totally flat with no traces of embossing. Sometimes (Not always) the surface will be abnormally shiny when held at an angle against a bright light source.
  • Options
    numbersmannumbersman Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭✭
    In my experience,no.I have seen many pressed notes and they are,for the most part,flat as glass or damn close to it(although I have seen some pressed notes with ripples).In the case where the paper is"ripply" it is often the case that the note has been wet somewhere along the line.It can be an indicator that the note has been cleaned(but not always).Each note would need to be examined individually to determine the cause-there's no generalities that I'm aware of that are actually always true.
    Collector of numeral seals.That's the 1928 and 1928A series of FRNs with a number rather than a letter in the district seal. Owner/operator of Bottom Line Currency
  • Options
    Also, you will find that pressed notes will have a tendency to curl up.
    Dana Wood

Woody3882@aol.com

2015 Certificate Award Winner 2016 Certificate Award Winner
  • Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, guys, I was looking at a nice $10 gold note. The reverse was brighter than most so I suspected the note may have been cleaned. I really want a $10, $20, or $50 but it looks like I'll be staying away from eBay. I think currency, unlike coins, needs to be seen in hand.

Cheers

Bob
  • Options
    synchrsynchr Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭
    Smell the note, iron pressed will have a metallic smell like pressed shirts.

Natural paper wave is a sign of authenticity to me