Home Stamps Forum

Bank note postcards

gsalexgsalex Posts: 211 ✭✭✭
I think it's high time someone started some new threads on this forum! So as an experiment, I'm going to start throwing some topics up and see whether anyone has something to add.

I'm a fan of postal stationery, particularly of postcards printed by bank note companies (you know, the same folks who produce paper money). Although most postcards are lithographs many have the look of engraving and a few actually are intaglio.

Here are some interesting ones from my collection. Feel free to post anything else that might remotely on topic!

Columbian Bank Note Co.

Hamilton Bank Note Co.

British American Bank Note Co.

American Bank Note Co.
Intrigued by all things intaglio.

Comments

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tho my main interest is in coins I still dabble in stamps from time to time.

These look like interesting items. I particularly like the orange/blue card. Do you know the rarity and/or value of some of these? Has the USA ever done anything like them?
  • gsalexgsalex Posts: 211 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: koynekwest
    Tho my main interest is in coins I still dabble in stamps from time to time.

These look like interesting items. I particularly like the orange/blue card. Do you know the rarity and/or value of some of these? Has the USA ever done anything like them?

Oh yes, the U.S put out lots of interesting post cards and postal stationery, though nothing quite as ornate. The first letter-sheet ever produced (1886) was printed by the American Bank Note Co. Much later, this idea morphed into light weight aerogrammes for foreign airmail. I don't know whether any of the postcards were printed by bank note companies -- that's worth looking into. I know the Govt. Printing Office took over postcard printing in 1910.

As to value, all the foreign postcards above I was able to obtain for a dollar or two at stamp shows. You'll find a good number if you hunt around on ebay.

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for your reply gsalex. I actually do have a few of these items. I'll have a look on ebay for some of the ones you picture tho I've found the sellers in general there have really gone downhill since I registered 18 years ago.
    And here's a scan of UX1, the first U.S. postcard issued in 1873. Even these U.S. postcards are not very expensive.
    Here are a couple more from the British American Bank Note Co. in Ottawa. Both of these are steel engraved (intaglio).