Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Born again collector looking for some guidance

Hi All, Was an avid collector about 15-20 years ago and work/life took me out. Recently got back in several months ago and have built a nice little starter cache of late 70's - early 80's BBCE and FASC wax, cello, rack, vending.

I typically go direct to BBCE for most of the core non FASC items, but have been scouring ebay, auction houses, etc for quality FASC units.

My question is; I don't really have anything to use as a structured price guide except averaging out the winning bids on items. So what would you all consider a "good buy" on FASC and BBCE items at discount to list price?

Thanks and feel free to flame me for submitting newbie questions.

Thanks
Back into collecting after a 10 yr layoff.

Always looking for 1970-1990 Football/Baseball

-Boxes

-Cases

-BBCE

-FASC

Comments

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hiya Jesse

That's not one of my true collector focus areas.

Just wanted to say hi and welcome you back to the hobby.

I can give you some simple "hobby" advice tho....

I recommend 3 rules:

1. Establish a FOCUS (otherwise I've found from experience that we're all over the place trying to corner the market).

2. Establish a BUDGET (unless you want to wake up at midnight screaming into the night)

3. NEVER break rule 1 and 2!

Good luck with your collecting.

I'll defer to some of the "unopened" experts here at CU.

Don't be a stranger.
    Mike
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely depends on year/issue. Anything pre-1980 is going to command a premium, especially for 1977 and earlier. Good luck!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: grote15

Definitely depends on year/issue. Anything pre-1980 is going to command a premium, especially for 1977 and earlier. Good luck!

Hiya Tim

Has there been a "softening" of the market since the National?

I noticed that 79T BB wax was going for 2K(+) and Steve has had them on his web at 1500 for some time e.g. I think rack also falls into this category.

What do ya think?
    Mike
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Stone193

Hiya Tim

I noticed that 79T BB wax was going for 2K(+) and Steve has had them on his web at 1500 for some time e.g. I think rack also falls into this category.

What do ya think?

Hi Mike,

Prices for late 70s and early 80s unopened baseball have definitely come off their peak. I think that was bound to happen, though, as that era also had the greatest rise in value, percentage wise, during the run up. Even now, at the "softer" prices, these boxes retail for more than double what they sold for just a few years ago.

On the other hand, prices for mid-1970s and earlier product have maintained or even increased in value over that time, depending upon the year/issue.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like most markets/collectibles it usually boils down to what someone is willing to pay for it, even with a price guide/completed sales as a reference.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Ok, I don't know what is going on, but this is the third new member to use this icon?? Is this a default icon by chance?? Not trying to high jack this thread.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Stingray

Ok, I don't know what is going on, but this is the third new member to use this icon?? Is this a default icon by chance?? Not trying to high jack this thread.

I asked the same question to the other newcomer Kirk.

Mike
  • Options
    ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

1. Establish a FOCUS (otherwise I've found from experience that we're all over the place trying to corner the market).

2. Establish a BUDGET (unless you want to wake up at midnight screaming into the night)

3. NEVER break rule 1 and 2!

So those night sweats that I've been having are a bad thing? image
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi, hello, how are ya? image
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Stone193[/

On the other hand, prices for mid-1970s and earlier product have maintained or even increased in value over that time, depending upon the year/issue.

Heard that 1973-1977 should be sold off now before the election and prices plummet. image
  • Options
    BeRoyalKCBeRoyalKC Posts: 413 ✭✭
    Well I have a suggestion that maybe a bit taboo and depends on your level of expertise. I have had great luck making raw purchases of unopened and having them BBCE certified. Of course I know what I'm looking at and know that what I am buying is authentic. I've made some great deals on raw wax then paying the cert fee. Just me and I know some wouldn't be comfortable with this and for sure no way to make sure it's not a Frankenstein box.
    #CROWNED

2015 World Series Champions
    2018 Worst Minor League System In Baseball
    #FIREDAYTONMOORE
  • Options
    Originally posted by: BeRoyalKC

Well I have a suggestion that maybe a bit taboo and depends on your level of expertise. I have had great luck making raw purchases of unopened and having them BBCE certified. Of course I know what I'm looking at and know that what I am buying is authentic. I've made some great deals on raw wax then paying the cert fee. Just me and I know some wouldn't be comfortable with this and for sure no way to make sure it's not a Frankenstein box.

That may work for post-1980 boxes, but the majority of raw pre-1980 unopened sold on ebay (particularly wax) is resealed or otherwise tampered with.

• Options
    SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

Originally posted by: BeRoyalKC

That may work for post-1980 boxes, but the majority of raw pre-1980 unopened sold on ebay (particularly wax) is resealed or otherwise tampered with.

++ that's why i only buy FASC. Guy above buying raw on e-bay and getting certified; these are NOT FASC and IMO, highly likely to be Frankenstein.

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options
    All,

Much obliged for the feedback, and yes that Avi was the default avi, tried to load another one, but size requirements are "finicky". As of right now, I'm sticking to BBCE and FASC, even the older BBCE I'm sending back to get re-checked and have the new hologram label applied. I have picked up a couple raw boxes, early 80's Donruss, but only for stinkbid prices at auction. Going to stick with completing the Topps, Fleer, Donruss 79-86 issues in all flavors first (wax, rack, cello, vending, and grocery if avail), then start picking up the factory sealed cases where I can find them.

I did however pick up small caches of 89 UD and 90 Leaf, both series of each, as they were favorites growing up.

Again thanks for the warm welcome, and its good to be back.

-J

-Boxes

-Cases

-BBCE

-FASC
  • Options
    Here's a little shameless bragging Jesse.

1979 BB lot:

This stuff was picked up way back in the early 90s except for the grocery pack.
    Mike
  • Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭

Hiya Tim

What do ya think?

Hi Mike,

Prices for late 70s and early 80s unopened baseball have definitely come off their peak. I think that was bound to happen, though, as that era also had the greatest rise in value, percentage wise, during the run up. Even now, at the "softer" prices, these boxes retail for more than double what they sold for just a few years ago.

Yes I've noticed '76-80 have come off a little from their highs but really not that much while '71-'75 are still making all time highs and 81-85 are still picking up speed rising steadily from their 2009 lows.

And 1986 baseball, basketball and football are all pretty much the hottest things going these days. I regret my choice of buying a BBCE 1984 football box when it was the same price as the 1986. Good thing I doubled down on basketball packs and a set a few years ago, those have gone up and are still moving higher nicely.
    Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options
    Stone; I dont know whats acceptable vernacular on this forum yet, so I'll just say that '79 pic gave me a little tickle in that naughty bits. Gorgeous, just gorgeous. After I get my next couple installments I'll take some pics of my starter pack I've put together over the last couple months.

Thanks for sharing!

-Boxes

-Cases

-BBCE

-FASC
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: jaust324
    Stone; I dont know whats acceptable vernacular on this forum yet, so I'll just say that '79 pic gave me a little tickle in that naughty bits. Gorgeous, just gorgeous. After I get my next couple installments I'll take some pics of my starter pack I've put together over the last couple months.

Thanks for sharing!

Agreed, as I started scrolling down it went from two wax boxes to the motherload.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.