Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Comments

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    THIS actually sold for $40,000.00?????

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭
    Could be the scanner
    1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm thinking there could be an issue with that holder/flip. PSA would be able to confirm it.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow. Makes me want to crack mine and resubmit. I have already thought I got ripped by not getting a PSA 9 (PD) and I don't even have black spots on the white like most PDs. I also have very sharp corners and mine is even better centered!

Some one talk me out or into resubmitting, please? I was nervous to crack it but now I pretty much have to.

• Options
    bobmoatbobmoat Posts: 257 ✭✭
    Looks like it's either an error by PSA or the holder has been compromised.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: secretstash

Wow. Makes me want to crack mine and resubmit. I have already thought I got ripped by not getting a PSA 9 (PD) and I don't even have black spots on the white like most PDs. I also have very sharp corners and mine is even better centered!

Some one talk me out or into resubmitting, please? I was nervous to crack it but now I pretty much have to.

Any thoughts on my card guys? I know the PSA 10 is obviously gross error or some sort of a scam crack out possibly, but do you think mine should/could bump to a 9 PD or should it even be PD in first place since no black on white area?

Thanks
  • Options
    lseeconlseecon Posts: 318 ✭✭
    yours looks much nicer. Looks like a straight 8 or 9 to me, but I have a hard time predicting how PSA will grade things. Grading in general seems like a crapshoot and all over the map.
  • Options
    how can you tell if the holder is compromised? And if it is, what does that mean? Sorry for the questions
  • Options
    bobmoatbobmoat Posts: 257 ✭✭
    Compromised would be like when there's some sort of fault that calls into question the overall integrity of a situation. Hopefully that makes sense to you, Dr. HailMaryRodgers.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: HailMaryRodgers
    how can you tell if the holder is compromised? And if it is, what does that mean? Sorry for the questions

If you see frosting along the seams, that is a telltale or on the corners.
  • Options
    Not sure why yours got the PD?! I've seen way worse. No way that Psa10 should've received that high of a grade. It's in a new holder so i assume it's more difficult to tamper with the case. Otherwise looks like a "error" on psa part.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: secretstash

Sent in for review and just popped a PSA 9 PD. I will take the nice upgrade and live with it. image It's better than giving me a straight 8 for sure by a few hundred dollars and probably doubtful I can get a straight 9 on it.

• Options
    shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭
    Whats the PD for? just that snow? Can't see anything too glaring
  • Options
    Originally posted by: shu4040

Whats the PD for? just that snow? Can't see anything too glaring

I agree, but obviously they think it is enough "snow" to classify it as a qualifier. It has dead perfect centering though and has no black dust on the white like most other PD's and some without a qualifier. I guess I am getting cornered by them, but I appreciate the upgrade to 9PD nonetheless...
  • Options
    Congrats on that upgrade!

So, when something has a PD, how would you say it affects the value? I haven't analyzed this too much (just getting back into this hobby). But I'm kind of guessing that a 9-PD should make the card fall somewhere in the middle of the value of an 8 and 9 unless the PD is horrible.

Same thing with a ST? I kind of see that a OC basically makes the card about 1 full grade less - so a 9-OC should value about the same as an 8...

Generally speaking, is this about right? I got a 85 fleer Clemens that came back with a 9PD, and honestly, I have a hard time finding the the PD. But it is what it is. Thanks for the good info, guys.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Rocknroll

So, when something has a PD, how would you say it affects the value? I haven't analyzed this too much (just getting back into this hobby). But I'm kind of guessing that a 9-PD should make the card fall somewhere in the middle of the value of an 8 and 9 unless the PD is horrible.
    Same thing with a ST? I kind of see that a OC basically makes the card about 1 full grade less - so a 9-OC should value about the same as an 8...

Generally speaking, is this about right? I got a 85 fleer Clemens that came back with a 9PD, and honestly, I have a hard time finding the the PD. But it is what it is. Thanks for the good info, guys.

From a registry perspective, a qualifier is a two grade drop, so a 9PD would count as a 7 for a registry set. From a sales perspective, it really depends on the qualifier and how obvious it is. A centered card with a PD that can't be found easily will sell considerably higher than a MC/severe OC just due to the general consensus of those that prefer PSA holders where centering is paramount.
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think in general the PD qualifier takes the card down more then the above. It does suck, especially when you can't see the qualifier.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

Its hard to tell with very little sales of PD versions since most of the black on the white gets ignored in psa 8 versions. I am not sure why mine was evaluated so harshly to begin with and the centering alone with sharp corners should have never gotten the grading it did.

If I told you the complete story you would be shocked of the grade changes. PSA 8PD was not the first declaration by them... So it was upgraded twice beyond the original grade, but the first one I called them before it was sent to me to dispute it. I have the proof to show it too if anyone is interested.

I am ecstatic about the recent upgrade. There haven't been many PD sales to go by, but last two sold 9 and 8 PD's were $809 and $319 respectively, so it was nearly $500 upgrade based on those two previous sales. The 9PD was much appreciated over a straight 8 due to the $100-150 higher potential value and I do not think a straight 9 will be obtained through review process so it will reside in this case. I am curious how my surface would be considered with BGS but probably not worth the cost to find out in a crossover? Any thoughts greatly appreciated if I have a shot at an 8.5 surface or higher which would make BGS plausible.