Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Counterfeit question **Update** !!! Not Counterfeit!!

Hey all! I know it's not a valuable note. But compliments of me being careless I think I came across a counterfeit 1935 B $1 silver certificate. The notes I had out laying on the bench accidentally got wet from a water I spilled. When I went to pick them up I noticed green on my fingers. The 1935 B $1 S/C had ink running on it? I dobbed it, and left it to dry. Just seems it might be a more modern copy done maybe with an inkjet printer? Gonna see if I can get a pic of it on here, just for the amusement I guess.

[URL=http://s1268.photobucket.com/u...1_zpsk43njdo0.jpg.html]image[/URL]

Comments

• Options
    how does the paper feel? like normal cotton/linen like it should?
  • Options
    element159element159 Posts: 493 ✭✭✭
    That would actually be strange to make a counterfeit of. It obviously is not contemporary, and even a genuine SC would get strange looks if you tried to spend it.

• Options
    i have a counterfeit 1957 $1 silver certificate, so they were made (whacky, yes)
  • Options
    i am thinking it had a chemical on it... as i once bought a 1928 $10 that i could rub the ink off like dust... and it got onto my fingers
  • Options
    mainejoemainejoe Posts: 311 ✭✭✭
    I guess a "harsh" chemical maybe? I have seen old notes go through the 'wringer' washer and not lose the ink as easily as this one. I might just try it again for the fun of it. Pick a spot, get it wet and wipe it to see how much ink comes off. Yes Greg the paper feels normal, appears it has been circulated to some extent too.
  • Options
    Well, I tested it. I took a corner and put it in water. Sure enough the ink cane off. Not completely, but enough to make it look faded.
  • Options
    element159element159 Posts: 493 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Maxcrusha

i have a counterfeit 1957 $1 silver certificate, so they were made (whack, yes)

Made on an inkjet printer??? (That is why I said this is not contemporary.)

But maybe it is not an inkjet print, I just kind of assumed that.

• Options
    Well maybe someone did make it back in the day? Odd that it would survive as well as it has till now and not get wet? I dunno, that's why I pose the question here. I do know when wet it loses the ink real quick, but when dry.
  • Options
    but when its dry the ink doesnt come off at all?
  • Options
    Nope, dry it looks and feels normal. That is except for where is was wet and the ink ran. But even the runs after drying, doesn't wipe off. Only when wet.
  • Options
    weird
  • Options
    I had a red deuce 1928 a couple years back that I had out on the patio table. It rained, got it and a couple others wet. That one though, the red just washed away on it, everything else stayed put. Now that was weird!
  • Options
    thats why red seal nationals and 1914 red seal FRN's were changed to blue seals
  • Options
    Well thank you again Greg for the education that I didn't know. While on the subject of not knowing. Why is it the blue silver certificates ended at the $10 denomination?
  • Options
    that i dont know!
  • Options
    Ok, so I thought this through somewhat thorough, here's what I came up with. The original $1 note must have had some chemical or whatever on it. Though it didn't give that appearance it was there. See it came in the same holder with another $1 and a Black Eagle. So what do I do? I subject the Black Eagle to water! The outcome is below, both of the Black Eagle and the original note. Still a bit puzzling to me though. If there is a chemical like this out there that will remove the ink from currency paper (unlike what bleach does)? Wouldn't it be an asset to look into for laundry cleaning? Ohhhhhh....wait! I bet I know what it is/was. Oxyclean? I will try it with the other $1 S/C that accompanied these two. I'll get back with the answer soon!

[URL=http://s1268.photobucket.com/u...b_zpsycd3ntw0.jpg.html]image[/URL]

[URL=http://s1268.photobucket.com/user/mainejoe/media/0cb36d25-2536-4130-ad6a-533200fbd64d_zpszgiksqdh.jpg.html]image[/URL]
  • Options
    delistampsdelistamps Posts: 714 ✭✭✭
    Please don't try this with any Educationals or Bisons...
  • Options
    What? Isn't that the TRUE test?? LOL!
  • Options
    It wasn't my choice to have these notes mess up. It all started innocent with a water spill. I know I didn't HAVE to test the Black Eagle, right? But I figured if it had anything on it that may cause a customer to have a problem, then I better be the one to find out. Make things my loss not theirs. As it turns out, that is exactly what has happened.
  • Options
    Hmmm... so far it appears that Oxyclean doesn't have that effect. I doused the other S/C with Oxy and the ink held true. It's drying right now (with the Oxy on it). Then I will see what effect (or not) that water may have on it.
  • Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow, that's impressive on that $20!
  • Options
    Good 'ole Billy, no one did infomercials like he did.
  • Options
    Jim61Jim61 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    Joe, this is a real interesting thread! Thanks for starting it.

Jim61

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16566561 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps and TheRock!

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16977961.

Looking for $1 CU FRN 99999961 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps!

Looking for $50 FRN 00000061
  • Options
    Certainly Jim, by all means glad to start something of interest. You are most welcome!
  • Options

Just a side note following the original situation. I have tried different "cleaners" dried to old (worthless) notes. I found one peculiarity with the latest variety of Tide w/ Bleach. The bleach used in this Tide isn't suppose to effect colors (in cloth or clothes). But on some old(er) notes (1935 S/C) it will take the blue numbers and seal right off and slightly fade the primary black and green. Now on 1928 reds? The same treatment will either take all of the red off, or fade it out. That depends on the amount applied and/or length of time it sets in. Now this may be a key situation to some of the so called reds that have either orange or yellow(ish) seals? Dunno, what do any of you think?