Home Sports Talk
Options

Curt Schilling fired by ESPN

MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭✭✭
Schilling posted a rather unflattering pic of a transgender person. ESPN finally had enough of Schilling's "non-sports" comments and they toasted him.

Gee Curt, are you ever gonna learn?

Comments

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He is such an idiot

mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    Lost all the money he made in baseball and now he loses probably his last job in baseball. Idiot does not describe him.
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonder if these incidents will sway HOF writers to not vote for him for the HOF. This one and the previous one that got him suspended before from ESPN.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    About time. What a moron.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,488 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I won't forget what he did for the Sox but the guy is an idiot
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,488 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: BLUEJAYWAY
    Wonder if these incidents will sway HOF writers to not vote for him for the HOF. This one and the previous one that got him suspended before from ESPN.

Umm no
  • Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Curt is a great guy who has morals and believes in free speech.

ESecPN has been a joke for many years now.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    Originally posted by: garnettstyle

Yet you lambaste Aaron for speaking freely about his racial experiences?

That's rich, lol..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: grote15

That's rich, lol..

Apples and oranges. Curt isn't a racist but yet you give Aaron a pass.

• Options

That's rich, lol..

What Shilling has spewed over the past couple of years is far more offensive than anything Aaron said, which was based on personal experience in dealing with intolerant individuals like Shilling in the first place. Your assessment is rather ironic, if not unexpected, lol..

• Options

That's rich, lol..

What Shilling has spewed over the past couple of years is far more offensive than anything Aaron said, which was based on personal experience in dealing with intolerant individuals like Shilling in the first place. Your assessment is rather ironic, if not unexpected, lol..

Offensive maybe in your opinion. Curt just says what most other people with morals think. Sorry your parents didn't teach you any.

• Options

That's rich, lol..

He's an idiot. The end.

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    Funny, but I always thought tolerance was part of one's moral character.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree Garnett, curt is just vocalizing what many think but are afraid to say because of the negative comments of all those tolerant people out there.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    Originally posted by: craig44

I agree Garnett, curt is just vocalizing what many think but are afraid to say because of the negative comments of all those tolerant people out there.

The guy is flat broke. They guy just lost his job ( and the best one he could of ever hoped for) because he is popping off on social media on a subject that no one asked him about. He was just running his mouth like he always does. He is an irresponsible idiot.

mark
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whether or not I agree with what someone says I'll still fight for their right to say it. You know, this being America and all...
    That said, ESPN was totally within their rights to fire him- even though it seems a tad hypocritical seeing how they employed a total jag like Keith Olbermann for years.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭✭
    Ultra liberals like Obamamann are exempt from that sort of thing, you didn't know that? image

Still, Curt not being in the HOF even though he's the Mr. October of pitching is a major joke.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Curt was good in the booth but his ego was a problem .

When people are famous sometimes they think their opinions interest the world. They don't though , the man is great pitcher and knows a lot about the game .

I don't ask my doctor how to make out a will , I wouldn't ask a baseball pitcher who to vote for. I won't be asking any actresses if vaccines are safe either.

Social media causes a lot of thoughts to be spoken that should remain unspoken. Believe what you want to believe but keep it to yourself. No one cares so why share?
  • Options
    Originally posted by: bronco2078

Curt was good in the booth but his ego was a problem .

When people are famous sometimes they think their opinions interest the world. They don't though , the man is great pitcher and knows a lot about the game .

I don't ask my doctor how to make out a will , I wouldn't ask a baseball pitcher who to vote for. I won't be asking any actresses if vaccines are safe either.

Social media causes a lot of thoughts to be spoken that should remain unspoken. Believe what you want to believe but keep it to yourself. No one cares so why share?

Well said.

mark
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Dude is a MORON. He wasted a fortune and now got himself fired from a kush job. MORON!
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    But he's got all that MLB earnings to fall back on, right? Surely, he wouldn't have been stupid enough to take a huge risk with his nest egg.
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The sad, sad saga of Curt Schilling...

By Ben Forer, ABC news, 6-22-12

Curt Schilling, the former Boston Red Sox pitcher, said in an interview today with WEEI-FM that he lost more than $50 million on his video game company 38 Studios.

"I'm tapped out," he told the Boston radio station. "The money that I had earned and saved in baseball was all gone. ... I put everything in my name in this company. I believed in it. ... But I'm not asking for sympathy. That was my choice."

Schilling, who said he never took a salary from 38 Studios, explained to ABC News his business philosophy prior to the release of the company's first game in February.

"I'm 46 years old, I've never worked an honest day in my life. ... I've been able to do what I love and what I'm passionate about my entire life," said the avid video game player. "I made, you know, an insane amount of money playing baseball. ... I've always wanted to be the best in the world as a baseball player, so when I started to think about opening a business, it was with that mindset."

38 Studios filed for bankruptcy protection on June 7, nearly 300 employees lost their jobs. Following the bankruptcy Schilling took a leave from his position as an analyst for ESPN; he hopes to return to that job soon.

While Schilling says he and his leadership team are responsible for the failure of the company, he insists it is not entirely their fault.

Rhode Island lured the company away from Massachusetts to Providence by offering a $75 million loan guarantee in 2010. Schilling believes Rhode Island Gov. Lincoln Chafee, who campaigned against the loan guarantee when he was running for office, never wanted to see the company succeed.

"After Governor Chafee went into office ... he had made a public comment that he was against the deal before he got elected, but now that he was in the office he was going to do everything he could do to help this company succeed. And that absolutely, unequivocally never happened in any possible way," Schilling said on WEEI-FM. "I think he had an agenda and executed it."

Last month, Chafee raised questions about the company's solvency and Schilling said those comments hurt 38 Studios' ability to land private investments. Schilling also alleged the company had found an investor who was willing to invest $15 to $20 million to keep it afloat, but Chafee's decision not to take action allowed the deal to fall through.

Chafee spokeswoman Christine Hunsinger said today that the governor had been 38 Studios' "biggest cheerleader."

As state and federal investigators look at the company's finances, the state is trying to determine how much money it will lose after the company's disintegration. Citizens Bank is suing Schilling to recover $2.4 million in loans it made to the company.

"I wanted to create jobs and create something that had a very longstanding world-changing effect," Schilling said. "We were close. We were close to getting there. It just fell apart."

Schilling was a top pitcher in the major leagues from 1988 to 2007 for teams including the Red Sox, Phillies and Diamondbacks. His win-loss record was 216-146 and his ERA was 3.46.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.