Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Question about large purchase through Paypal

I am thinking about making a 5 figure purchase. I found the card on Ebay and the seller will come down drastically if I make the transaction directly through Paypal. I have no reason to distrust the seller. As a seller myself, I would offer the same thing in order to save on fees. My question is this - do I have any sort of protection by going through a Paypal invoice?

Shane

Comments

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With a Paypal invoice you would be protected. As long as the Paypal fees are paid you are protected up to 180 days.

James
  • Options
    ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: jfkheat

With a Paypal invoice you would be protected. As long as the Paypal fees are paid you are protected up to 180 days.

James

+1
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it necessary to pay with a credit card through Paypal? What if I used my checking account or debit card (as a credit card) through Paypal? I don't have a credit card with a high enough limit.

Shane

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It doesn't matter how you pay through Paypal. You will be protected regardless of the payment method as long as the fees are paid

James
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    I would pay the extra 3% on a big purchase
  • Options
    bobmoatbobmoat Posts: 257 ✭✭
    Use a credit card. Get the points and you can charge it back if PP tries to jack you.
  • Options
    I just found out that my credit card (through my credit union) will not increase ANYONE's limit to over $10,000. It has nothing to do with me and my credit worthiness...it is a standard that they have set. I don't know that I really have time to open another credit card. I may check into that.

Shane

• Options
    My credit card does not charge me 3% for use with PayPal. Been paying for free trips to Vegas for years (rewards). I recommend looking into that. In the end, invoice works well. I recommend you do not pay the invoice without it being very specific. If a graded card, make sure the serial # on the cert is noted on the invoice. Will help you potentially in case of drama. Gl and enjoy your card......would love to see some pics of it once it comes in!
  • Options
    Thank you. That is good advice.

Shane

• Options
    bobmoatbobmoat Posts: 257 ✭✭
    Frank---look into AmEx. They are widely regarded as the most customer friendly when it comes to dispute resolution. If you're more interested in points, there are several options. Google "best rewards card 2016" or check out the blog run by The Points Guy for what's best right now.