Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

Hamilton to say on $10, Jackson getting replaced by Tubman on $20

It is being widely reported today that Hamilton will stay on the $10, while Harriet Tubman will replace Andrew Jackson on the front of the $20 bill (but he will remain on the back in some form). Official announcement possibly this week. The new $20s may not be in circulation until 2030.

Link
I like large size currency and silver dollars.

Comments

• mfontesmfontes Posts: 146 ✭✭✭
    Yup very interesting.
  • jmbjmb Posts: 593 ✭✭✭
    WoW ! 14 year time horizon. We are just so efficient. (sarcasm)
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another report. Basically the same:

http://www.aol.com/article/201...1285325_htmlws-main-bb
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • why do we need A Jackson to remain on the $20 at all?
  • Originally posted by: Maxcrusha

why do we need A Jackson to remain on the $20 at all?

Exactly what I was thinking.

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess it is appropriate that Jackson would end up on the butt end of the $20.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • TigerTraderTigerTrader Posts: 249 ✭✭✭
    Despite Jackson staying on the $20, this sounds like one of the best decisions I have heard from any government decision makers in a long time!

• ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭
    I think you meant 2020 and not 2030 right?
  • CMCARTCMCART Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭
    I bought 2 of these Hamilton 10$ bills as a keepsake just because the decision on the exchange - Now I have to remove them from the collection because they don't interest me anymore imageimage

This one #3 and the last one of course gets a place of honor in the collection - The numbers - 0-6-9 image

Abraham Lincoln (February 12, 1809 – April 15, 1865)
    5$ bills are WOW with the numbers - wanted:
    Wanted - Flipper notes with the numbers 6-9 or 0-6-9 ON 1$ 2$ 5$ 10$ 20$
    Wanted - 10$ Sereis 2013 - fancy Serial Numbers
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: jmb
    WoW ! 14 year time horizon. We are just so efficient. (sarcasm)

yeah, will see whos left here at that time to see it. image
  • i like keeping Hamilton on the $10... i think he deserves to be more on our currency than Jackson
  • TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    Well deserved honor for Tubman! I just hope the Gov't does not require that all existing twenties must be redeemed or altered to add a picture of Harriet. That would really mess up my Numeral Seal collection!!!!

Sad that Jackson is a bit of a b.a.s.t.a.r.d.!!(censored forum word) his portrait looks really cool on the older notes! I had no idea he was such a *#€%*&!!!

• Jackson hammered the Indians
  • techwritertechwriter Posts: 584 ✭✭
    Well, Jackson has had a good ride:

he's been on $5; $10; $20; $50; $10,000; eventually ZERO. Guess it makes sense as he really detested paper money anyway.

As a sidenote an interesting exhibit would be one that showed the gradual disappearance of Jackson's fingers on the notes through the years.
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 05232016 - any series or block. Please PM
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 20160523 - any series or block. Please PM

Retired

• To tooky bandit - if you are going to be a historical revisionist, then everyone in history is going to look bad. Jackson was a great military leader and a heck of president. If anyone should go, it's Grant. He was a failure all around except for the Civil War and was a terrible president. But I guess he didn't have any slaves so that clears him. Even if he was a total drunk and an incompetent president.
  • FishmongerFishmonger Posts: 42 ✭✭✭
    Here's a link to the article in today's Wall Street Journal:

Tubman on $20

Dan

Currency America
  • sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While Grant's claim to a place on the $50 note may be dubious, Jackson's strong opposition to Federal Banks should disqualify him from the Federal Reserve Note. He was OK for the Gold Certificate but not an FRN.
    Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Constantine

I think you meant 2020 and not 2030 right?

You have to remember, we are talking about the federal government. Their copy of Webster's dictionary accidentally left out the word efficient.

• gnatgnat Posts: 392 ✭✭✭
    Glad common sense has prevailed. If anyone belongs on a Federal Reserve Note, it is Alexander Hamilton. Hamilton was key in the establishment of the Bank of the United States in 1791 and the Coinage Act of 1792 (which lead to the first US Coins).

Jefferson and Jackson were fierce opponents and it was actually Jackson who ended up killing the Bank after its second charter period expired.
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Borchgrave

. If anyone should go, it's Grant. He was a failure all around except for the Civil War and was a terrible president. But I guess he didn't have any slaves so that clears him. Even if he was a total drunk and an incompetent president.

Not quite, he actually did own a slave that he freed in 1859. It is not known how he obtained ownership, perhaps a purchase from a family member or an inheritance.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
    The bigger picture here is that this proposed redesign changes the 1928 rule of nobody but dead presidents or founding fathers on our currency.

We have had three distinct periods since the 1860s where central designs on the faces of our currency seemed to be limited to certain subjects.

1860s-90s: Founding fathers and dead presidents along with some living government officials and generals.

1890s-1928: Replace lesser known and living subjects with other subjects, like Educationals, Bison and Indian chief, keep founding fathers and dead presidents.

1928-date: Back to dead presidents and founding fathers only.

Future: Any prominent American or deserving person?
    Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Perhaps like sports stadiums, we could sell naming rights for bills. Like the Coca Cola $100, wither the iconic coke bottle cap replacing the seal and introduce the Indy $500. As long as it is not like Brazil, Homer Simpson couldn't take that.
  • how about Reagan on something
  • delistampsdelistamps Posts: 714 ✭✭✭
    Reagan definitely belongs on something, but I think I'll keep political commentary off the board.
  • rooksmithrooksmith Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭

“When you don't know what you're talking about, it's hard to know when you're finished.” - Tommy Smothers
    Im going to miss Andrew Jackson. After all the as the only president to serve in both the revolutionary war and the war of 1812.
    History.com article and video on Andrew Jackson

http://www.history.com/topics/us-presidents/andrew-jackson
    “When you don't know what you're talking about, it's hard to know when you're finished.” - Tommy Smothers
  • gdavis70gdavis70 Posts: 256 ✭✭✭
    Jackson?! I thought that was Keith Richards.
    Instead of Hariett Tubman how about a comprimise.

JANET JACKSON

• TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    Hubba hubba
  • AllLincolnsAllLincolns Posts: 50 ✭✭✭
    Jackson and Grant were both flawed men.
    That shouldn't disqualify them, but at the same time they shouldn't be part of the designs forever either.

Dan
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

- Abraham Lincoln
  • I can't resist but spout off ...
    The stated idea for small sized currency in the 20's wasn't to honor anyone but to select people that were instantly recognizable as Americans (at least in the eyes of the Treasury Dept).
    McKinley and Cleveland were beneficiaries of that particular decade that have not withstood the test of time (but their bills are out of print anyway).
    The rest of the crowd holds up pretty well to the standard.

I found a list of influential americans on the web http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2006/12/the-100-most-influential-figures-in-american-history/305384/
    Check out the top few and compare them to the portraits.
    Seems to me that if the currency is to serve us, the best candidate is MLK Jr.

Adding constraints, like "Jackson was a d.i.c.k." or "has to be a woman" is gonna lead no place good.
    This is how we ended up with Sacagawea dollar coins - when we don't even know what she looked like.

• synchrsynchr Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭✭
    The goal was to put a woman on any note, but why not chose one that more people are familiar with?
    How about creating a series of commemorative $25 notes that could honor multiple subjects?

A series of National Park backs on the $2 would help promote tourism and our national image, too.
  • I'd add that if we are replacing folks, why not put Teddy Roosevelt on something like the $50. Many great designs on both paper and coin came out during his administration. Love to see a T.R. $50 with a bison back.
    "Don't talk like an ignarosis."

I specialize in Wisconsin currency! Looking for information on WI national banknotes. Census stands at 12,318 notes.

**"Wisconsin National Bank Notes - 2nd Edition" is out!!!" Only $20PPd!!!
  • tomtomtomtomtomtomtomtom Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: sellitstore

The bigger picture here is that this proposed redesign changes the 1928 rule of nobody but dead presidents or founding fathers on our currency.

We have had three distinct periods since the 1860s where central designs on the faces of our currency seemed to be limited to certain subjects.

1860s-90s: Founding fathers and dead presidents along with some living government officials and generals.

1890s-1928: Replace lesser known and living subjects with other subjects, like Educationals, Bison and Indian chief, keep founding fathers and dead presidents.

1928-date: Back to dead presidents and founding fathers only.

Future: Any prominent American or deserving person?

Let's not forget that Jefferson owned 200 slaves and fathered 6 children from his slave Sally Hemings. I guess that we should dump him also.

• element159element159 Posts: 493 ✭✭✭
    I like it, and I also like the idea of redoing the backs, which are pretty boring right now. I also like the Teddy Roosevelt on the $50!