Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Need Help With a '41 Yankees Team Signed Ball

I was given this ball recently and need some help with it.

First off, any Yankees autograph experts? Do these autos look legit, or do any look obviously clubhouse?

Second, I've identified all of the autos with a fairly high level of certainty except one. The one I can't figure out for sure is on the bottom of the side that starts with Joe Gordon and Red Ruffing.

And the third and to me biggest question is why does the ball have "Property Of Chicago White Sox" stamped on the ball four times. I could only find one other ball stamped like this and it was a 1941 NL all-star game ball that was sold in Hunt auctions, first in 2003 and again in 2005. Here are links to that ball

ball 1
same ball

Any help would be greatly appreciated with this one fellas.

Comments

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last name looks like Howard. First initial G? If so George,Greg etc. As far as "Prop. of White Sox". The stamp came first with the autos. over those words. Maybe it was the only ball avaiable at the White Sox park that day when the Yankees were visiting. So whomever got the sigs. this ball could of been the only one around at the time of getting all the sigs. All just theories. Hope it helps.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭
    Believe the unknown sig is Elston Howard. The other sigs look fine. The Dimaggio and Keller are traced over (NOT by Dimag or Keller) . The Gomez looks a little funny but could be due to the small space available.
  • Options
    jmbjmb Posts: 593 ✭✭✭
    Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think Elston Howard would be on a 41" ball.
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭
    wow 1941 was the season of the 56 game hitting straek as well as Rizzuto's rookie year if I'm not mistaken

IMK
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    byronscott4everbyronscott4ever Posts: 932 ✭✭✭
    All I could think of about the stamps is that baseballs were intended to be returned always so they made sure they could tell them apart?
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    My best guess for the unknown auto is Atley Donald.
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

LMAO....Elston would have been the ball boy. He was born in 29'. Thanks for playing.
  • Options
    mdkuommdkuom Posts: 969 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: MooseDog
    The Dimaggio and Keller are traced over (NOT by Dimag or Keller).

What would the traced over autos do to authenticity? Would they be considered complete fakes or is there something in between real and fake?
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Ironmanfan
    wow 1941 was the season of the 56 game hitting straek as well as Rizzuto's rookie year if I'm not mistaken

IMK

Correct on both counts
  • Options
    Originally posted by: mlbfan2
    My best guess for the unknown auto is Atley Donald.

This was my guess based on the '41 roster, I just didn't want to sway anyone. I think he had to shorten it because of the lack of space to sign.
  • Options
    Does anyone have any idea on value for something like this? I didn't find very good comps during my searches.