Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Do baseball cards show Lou Brock as a traitor?

As a Cubs fan, maybe I am reading something into this.....I always thought this was weird: Look at how sad Lou Brock looks on his baseball cards when he is on the Cubs.

And now look how happy he got once we was on the Cardinals!

Comments

• Options
    mb2005mb2005 Posts: 165 ✭✭
    more evidence....

• Options
    Lou's not the only player to be depressed he's on the Cubs.
  • Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    Love the investigative journalism!
  • Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    I can see a Dateline episode on this in our future...

Actually, if you look at just about every baseball card of a San Diego Padre other than Gwynn, you see that same depressed look.
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    This differential was noted in a recent Net 54 thread devoted to Lou's career in cards. I think his frowns as a Cub in those days was a result of his awareness of the Cub Factor...which fortunately he did not carry to St Louis

I will say if Lou was on the current Cubs team, he might manage a smile

Text
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am a Cardinals collector and I have never noticed that before. Maybe because I have only owned a couple of Brock's Cubs cards. That is hilarious! I just showed my 15 year old son and he got a kick out of that!

Shane

• Options
    mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭
    I don't recall where I read it, but his time in Chicago was not pleasant. iirc, the Cubs wanted him to be a power hitter and I also believe he had a lot of issues with fly balls in day games at Wrigley.
    "I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
  • Options
    49ersGuy49ersGuy Posts: 382 ✭✭
  • Options
    kgibsonkgibson Posts: 264 ✭✭✭
    I noticed the difference in his cards a few years ago and mentioned it to him at a card show. He said after he got to St. Louis someone (a photographer? He didn't say who) told him it was ok to smile and no one had ever told him that before. The few times I have met him at a show he has been so kind and friendly.
    "You know we just don't recognize the most significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, well, there'll be other days. I didn't realize that that was the only day."