Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Group Rip 1960 Topps Vending Box - **Cancelling

Someone else mentioned it already, but Steve has a Series 2/3 vending box on BBCE now for 20K. So with 500 cards, we're looking at $40/card. There are a couple of very respected board members whom I would trust to organize and open this rip, slip the cards into penny sleeves, and a CS1 and mail them out.

I know some of you will be horrified to open this, but with the potential for a high grade Yaz rookie, Mays, Killebrew, others out there...I'm intrigued to play this lottery.

**So let's see how serious the interest is here. I'm thinking that we do 5 Cards per slot, therefore each slot is $200 (plus shipping/packing cost). You may buy as many slots as you'd like. **

There will be 100 slots to be randomly assigned, so you if you get assigned no 1 get card (1, 101, 201, 301, 401...or 2, 102, 202, 302, 402, etc) so if the centering or ends switch favorably you have exposure throughout the box. Let's see how realistic this is. Feel free to update with a message or pm me how many slots you'd be interested in (I only typed out 50 slots below, will expand to 100 if needed).

Comments

• ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    If I owned the box, I don't know if I could bring myself to rip it...however...if it is going to be ripped anyway, I want to be a part of it! The 60 set is my all-time favorite set. I think it would take a ton of coordination and I don't know if we could organize the sale of 500 slots, but I'm interested.
  • What about running a 40 slot snake draft @500 per? It's the equivalent of breaking 2+ 5cent packs at @$250, which by my math is a bargain. Bust the box on video, number the cards, and then random a draft order. Everyone should get a hofer, semi-star, or sharp looking card with their first pair of picks. Just a thought, I don't get into many breaks, but I'd consider one along these lines.
  • shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭
    sbfinley, I like the idea. I think formalizing purchases in atleast groups of 5 so $200 each would make the administration a bit easier.

My only concern with the post break draft is that condition will be paramount here, and you could grab a perfectly centered Mays with the first pick but it have a wrinkle you can't see on camera (opposed to modern where most cards are coming out fine). Even if we do the randomizer before with 5 slots, I think most people will get atleast 1 or 2 they'll be happy with..and you still have a chance for a monster.

I mean what's a PSA 10 of a Yaz rookie these days? 150K?
  • MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    If it goes down I will buy one $40 slot.
  • mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would be interested. How about 10 cards/slot for a total of 50 slots available priced at $400 per each slot? Then...your numbered slot would be determined by random drawing. Slot #1 would receive the 1st 10 cards out of the box...slot #2 would have cards 11-20 and so on.

Minty
    mint_only_pls
  • baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: mintonlypls

I would be interested. How about 10 cards/slot for a total of 50 slots available priced at $400 per each slot? Then...your numbered slot would be determined by random drawing. Slot #1 would receive the 1st 10 cards out of the box...slot #2 would have cards 11-20 and so on.

Minty

With vending, the ends (front/back) are going to have the most condition issues... so instead of grouping the 10 together, you might want it where slot #1 got cards 1, 51, 101, 151, 201, etc. That way each slot would get equal distribution from the location inside the box... and just assume that two might be more prone to condition issues. Two iffy cards out of ten is similar to a wax pack, one gum and one wax card per pack.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

Minty

I think you might have difficulty filling 50 slots at that price point. $400 is pretty expensive for most people. Maybe try 100 slots at $200 per slot? You can always offer additional slots to those who want them, if the box doesn't sell out.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • pjb103183pjb103183 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    Id be in for 5 spots if this goes down($200)
    Also, vending boxes typically contain approximately 500 cards, but usually not exactly 500 cards, so the final count will be a bit higher or lower (usually, it is a bit higher).

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
    5 card 100 slots @$200/slot is fine w/me...
    mint_only_pls
  • totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 924 ✭✭✭
    I might be willing to jump in on this as well. Seems like hitting a nice payout for a nice card is better than buying 2-3 boxes of modern.
  • pjb103183pjb103183 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    5 card 100 slots @$200/slot is fine w/me...

Certainly we could fill 100 slots@ $200 ea. i could only afford 1 slot, but im sure others here would be interested in multiple slots
    I am in for a 5 card slot.
    I wonder too if Steve knew we were doing this, if he'd be up for negotiating a different price?
  • vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Once in a lifetime for me. I'd take 2 slots.

But I'm hoping this would be broadcast live if at all possible.

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd be in for a 5-card slot too, possibly 2 of them!
  • FirstBeardFirstBeard Posts: 459 ✭✭✭
    I would be interested in a slot. Awesome idea!
    Question: Anyone know if these were issued by series?

Also, if less than 500 a few people get less. If more than 500, I'd say let the extras go in order back at the #1 slot, since they're basically eating the end cards.
  • lseeconlseecon Posts: 318 ✭✭
    I would be up for at least one slot and maybe 2 or 3. Perhaps Steve at BBCE would offer a discount and/or agree to coordinate the vending box break. I would also be interested in the history of the box. Also it appears that Series Two are cards 111-198 and Series Three are cards 199-286 so that would be 175 different cards. That means on average, one could expect triples of each card in Series 2 and 3? Three Yaz rookies in an average box? Anybody have any experience cracking open a 1960-1969 vending box? What can we expect from collation? Live streaming of this over the net would be very desirable.
    Originally posted by: vintagefun

Question: Anyone know if these were issued by series?

Also, if less than 500 a few people get less. If more than 500, I'd say let the extras go in order back at the #1 slot, since they're basically eating the end cards.

According to the listing on BBCE, it is a series 2/3 box.

I am assuming the box is from Fritsch since to my knowledge Steve will not authenticate/wrap a loose vending box unless it is from Fritsch.

• BatpigBatpig Posts: 460 ✭✭✭
    I'd be in for 1, possibly 2. Awesome idea.
    Yeesh...it appears there are only 4 cards worth chasing in series 2/3 (111-286). Yaz, Mays, Killebrew, Mantle/Boyer. But there could be 2-3 of each. Unless I missed something. Not sure we'll fill 100 slots, but still hopeful.
  • I would be in for one slot.

My new website www.lowgradegems.com

Tim
    Also Musial is in these series, and Katt rookie and while I am not up to speed on low pop or condition sensitive 1960s commons, according to the SMR guide, there are a number of expensive commons in series 2/3 if graded 8 or higher.

• JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sign me up for one slot. Thanks.
  • 1neatstuff1neatstuff Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭
    i would be up for a few slots if this goes
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    One slot, can't resist
  • I would be interested in at least 1 slot
  • schapkoschapko Posts: 341 ✭✭
    I'd be in for one slot @ $200. I'd also prefer if the break was somehow webcast.
    Buying 75 Topps Reg. Size PSA 9
    1975 Topps Registry Set "Scott's 75 Topps Set"
  • I'll take a 5 card slot.
    Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • DragnetDragnet Posts: 635 ✭✭✭
    I'd be in for at least 1 slot, probably 2.
  • LarkinCollector would be in for a spot.

Tim
  • or246or246 Posts: 108 ✭✭
    I would be in for 1 slot
    Currently working on 1970 Topps Hockey PSA 9 set
    Ah Tim - You beat me to it!
  • Originally posted by: ugaskidawg
    Ah Tim - You beat me to it!

LC's got to stick together!

Tim
  • secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭
    Count me in for 1, maybe 2.
  • shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭
    Sorry all!

After a discussion with a long time collector, I think i'm going to cancel this from my end.

There's just so many areas for this to break down and lead to challenges and pissed off people. For example say you need 30 seconds (which might be quick) to put every card in a sleeve, top loader, and log it...we're looking at minimum 6 hours. And I know people want this live webcasted the whole time. It just starts to sound unfeasible.

Also, other risks including if the cards are damaged opening the box, putting them in the penny sleeve, shipping, etc.

It was entertaining for the day, but just worried about unhappy campers at the end of the day
    I think if BBCE offered to do this, this could still get done. I wasnt under the impression, shu4040, was going to handle the actual break. Would be alot of work from BBCE but if it means moving a 20k item, I would think it would be worthwhile for them. Seems like they could even do it live at the National, that would draw quite the crowd and interest. I would be willing to wait until then if I could lock in a few slots now.
  • seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    Id be in.

It didnt occur to me that Shu4040 would have to do it. He just brought up a great idea. Im sure bbce would do it. Worst case we paid $4-5 extra a $200 slot, that would give them an extra $500ish incentive to do the ripping. Or don't give a discount. Whichever/however. But its doable.

shu4040...unhappy campers? here? but its a great idea I think can work.

whats a PSA 7 common go for, about?
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
    It would be very time consuming, but if I were Steve, even if it took 6 hours, I'd want to do the break just for the experience of breaking down a 1960 vending box~you don't get an opportunity to do that every day!

• BIGBEN7BIGBEN7 Posts: 393 ✭✭
    The National would be a perfect place to have this break given that PSA will be doing on site grading.
  • I agree,the National would be ideal. However the chance to open one would be worth the time and hassle to me.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    whats a PSA 7 common go for, about?

Probably between $5.00 - $15.00.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • I'm in for 4 slots. It would have to go the route of BBCE handling and breaking live though. To get away from the penny sleeve issue, semi rigids would be sufficient. I can't imagine seeing a Mint Yaz or Mays go into a slot number that's mine. Doing it live at the National would be break through! I'd actually consider making the trip.
  • sushihotwingssushihotwings Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
    I found on Ebay an opened series 1 1960 vending box with cards displayed for sale. Very interesting.

1960 series one vending box
    On the hunt high grade Star Basketball.
  • 4 to 8 cards of each player represented in the auction but that's in one series. So maybe 2 to 4 in a two series vending box? That also doesn't take into account what was pulled for grading.
  • I like the National idea, maybe BBCE can just host the break at their booth. I am sure someone at the National would be thrilled to sit there an open the vending box, live at the show and live online. Heck, have Reed do it with Joe Orlando or an athlete that collects? DiMitri Young or Evan Mathis anyone?

Host at the BBCE during the National, stream the break live.
    Determine host/hosts
    Determine live stream website
    Determine Randomizer website if required(Typically random.org)
    Use the BBCE blog or PSA forums for pertinent and permanent information
    Determine Slot Structure
    Prepay using Paypal
    PSA option to grade onsite?

1. Presell 500 slots ($40 per slot/10 slots for $400?)
    2. Have customer selects numbers 1 to 500
    3. Once paid in full, randomize slots on random.org at the National
    5. Attach randomized list to number list 1 to 500(Order cards are in vending box)
    6. Pre number Semi Rigids 1 to 500
    7. Break it live, one card at a time and slide those cards in each corresponding numbered semi rigid.
    8. Epic Vintage Group Break!!!

I was doing some research as well on the going prices off Yastrzemski rookies recently on Ebay. One PSA 8 up for sale for $875 right now. Assuming 3 of these in the vending box by odds and hard to see it paying out for anyone but a lucky couple people. Exciting sure. Believe I was tempted just for the experience or thrill. Sure there could be a PSA 9 or 10, but then again.... Definitely would have been fun, but canceled anyways so decision made for us unless someone else reignites it
    Originally posted by: 3BoyzTrading

I like the National idea, maybe BBCE can just host the break at their booth. I am sure someone at the National would be thrilled to sit there an open the vending box, live at the show and live online. Heck, have Reed do it with Joe Orlando or an athlete that collects? DiMitri Young or Evan Mathis anyone?

Host at the BBCE during the National, stream the break live.

Determine host/hosts

Determine live stream website

Determine Randomizer website if required(Typically random.org)

Use the BBCE blog or PSA forums for pertinent and permanent information

Determine Slot Structure

Prepay using Paypal

PSA option to grade onsite?

1. Presell 500 slots ($40 per slot/10 slots for $400?)

2. Have customer selects numbers 1 to 500

3. Once paid in full, randomize slots on random.org at the National

5. Attach randomized list to number list 1 to 500(Order cards are in vending box)

6. Pre number Semi Rigids 1 to 500

7. Break it live, one card at a time and slide those cards in each corresponding numbered semi rigid.

8. Epic Vintage Group Break!!!

I can appreciate your excitement, but this is 1960 box not 1952. Going to be hard to get those high profile parties that involved imo for this box
  • This break was opened for discussion on the Blowout Cards forum, they opened it as a card number/player break. So 170 or so spots at $120 each. They've filled around 80 spots so far and it's only been 2 or 3 days. I still like the way I'd do it though.