Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Best looking card ever?

Not necessarily the most expensive or most popular, but the best looking card ever. What do you think it is? I still love this one:

Comments

• Options
    mb2005mb2005 Posts: 165 ✭✭
    This one I love too, but with today's baseball rules, this isn't even a baseball play anymore....

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    I have to go with the 1976 Topps Johnny Bench. That image is way too cool!!
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roger should have leaned up against a "say no to drugs" sign.
    Daniel
  • Options
    There are a handful that float my boat, but I've been having an affair with this one lately.

Originally posted by: mb2005
    Not necessarily the most expensive or most popular, but the best looking card ever. What do you think it is? I still love this one:

Great card. Here's mine!

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My avatar card, which now resides in a PSA 10 holder.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My vote...

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This was always one of my favorites~73 had some great horizontal action shots around home plate.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    Gretzky has so many great looking cards. Other than his rookie, this 1981 OPC Super Action card is the bomb-diggity and my personal favorite. Even the back looks great.

• Options
    And, of course, the one with the used car lot in the background, lol..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: grote15

When I saw you were the most recent poster, I opened the thread expecting to see a 75 mini or two. Way to zig and love those 73s!
  • Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great topic!

Sorry...that I could not restrict mine to just one...but here are my favorites (not in any particular order).

1. 1971 Thurman Munson (great action shot of a play at the plate)
    2. 1957 Mickey Mantle (1st year that Topps went strictly w/photography on its cards...and love the follow through swing of the young Mick. An added bonus is...the rookie card of one of the groundskeepers at Yankee Stadium).
    3. 1971 Reggie Jackson (like the colorful A's uniforms w/Reggie holding the lumber)
    4. 1963 Roberto Clemente (gorgeous hues)
    5. 1963 Lou Brock (one of my favorite sets and this is a colorful portrait shot)
    6. 1954 Ernie Banks (1st year Topps placed more than one image on a player's card)
    7. 1966 Willie Mays (showing some leather)
    8. 1957 Sandy Koufax (last Brooklyn Dodgers' card of Sandy)
    9. 1955 Jackie Robinson (colorful card of an iconic player who broke the color barrier in professional sports)
    10. 1966 Joe Morgan (love the fielding stance of little Joe)
    11. 1969 Johnny Bench (wow...he looks young). Agree that the '76 is a close 2nd here.
    12. 1955 Hank Aaron (same image as used on his RC...but much more affordable. His dark skin against a yellow backdrop is more eye appealing to me than against an orange backdrop on the '54. Plus...the 2nd image on the '55 card shows Henry swinging the bat as opposed to a fielding shot on the '54. He was a great fielder...but was noted for his bat more than his glove)

A couple of cards in which Topps goofed on what could have been a great looking card.

1957 Hank Aaron...No-no-no!!! He doesn't bat left handed...
    1959 Bob Gibson...everytime I look at the card...I think why did Topps use that ugly Pepto-Bismol pink.
    mint_only_pls
  • Options
    yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    Here's one of mine:

Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Nature Boy and all of his magnificence.

• Options
    Originally posted by: LarkinCollector

Originally posted by: grote15

When I saw you were the most recent poster, I opened the thread expecting to see a 75 mini or two. Way to zig and love those 73s!

LOL, I try to throw a curve now and then.. image

• Options
    2 of my favorites already mentioned are the 53 bowman color pee wee and the 71 Munson. I would also add 51 bowman Campanella and a trio of 56 Topps: Clemente, Jackie and the mick.

Edit: here is a photo of the Campanella -

• Options
    49ersGuy49ersGuy Posts: 382 ✭✭
    Topps photography from about 1970 to 1976 is about as good as it gets for sports cards.

• Options
    49ersGuy49ersGuy Posts: 382 ✭✭

• Options
    stevebaystevebay Posts: 289 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DanBessette
    2 of my favorites already mentioned are the 53 bowman color pee wee and the 71 Munson. I would also add 51 bowman Campanella and a trio of 56 Topps: Clemente, Jackie and the mick.

Is that James Dean sitting alone in the background? image
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: stevebay

Originally posted by: DanBessette

Is that James Dean sitting alone in the background? image

Pretty sure it's Dylan McKay.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have a scan, but the 1953 Bowman Color of Stan Musial is a beauty!
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Stingray
    I have to go with the 1976 Topps Johnny Bench. That image is way too cool!!

+1

My favorite player of all time and my favorite card. WS MVP that year, and with the all star logo in the bottom corner just made it pop for that card.

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    I've always been a fan of this card...

• Options
    creecree Posts: 393 ✭✭
  • Options
    Another one of my favorite....you can almost hear them chant Reg-gie! Reg-gie! in the background

• Options
    clarke442clarke442 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A couple of my favorites, that I have scans of.

What I always thought of as Yaz's true rookie card and by todays rules of having to have played in the Majors.

Classic Bobby Orr with Cheevers in background and the way the uniform and card colors match.

• Options
    I've heard the 76 Bench mentioned a lot, but I always thought the 76 Brock was a really cool looking card.
    Also if the 71 Nolan Ryan hasn't been mentioned, here's a shout out.
    Don't own either one so can't post a scan.
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Here's a nice action shot of Vada Pinson, with Thurman Munson at the plate. Wonder if he was safe or out.

image[/URL][/IMG]
  • Options
    totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭
    These aren't my cards, but here are three of my favorites off the top of my head.

• Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    My favorite Gwynn Card:

The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options
    georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭
    Nice selections

Some honorable mentions from me:

1989 Bowman Eric Davis - perfect portrait and makes Davis look god-like. Kinda like a propaganda poster - think Ivan Drago in Rocky IV at the Igloo...er..Moscow Sports Center.

1967 Topps Ernie Banks - another perfect portrait on a perfect sunny day. You can almost see the words, "Let's play two" rolling around in his head.

1978 Reggie Jackson - motion seconded! (see earlier in the thread) I don't think Reggie got cheated on that swing. Reggie has a lot of great looking cards. So did Carlton and Seaver (74 and 77). Too bad Mike Schmidt didn't (the 89 Phillies Leaders card is nice, though, as is the Classic Best 500 Homerun card).

I digress.

Any card from the 1954-55 Topps Hockey set.

But, this may be my favorite:

1963 Toronto Star Terry Sawchuk. Iconic image. The only thing that would make it better would be if the puck was snow-coned in his glove rather than by his skate.

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: JoeBanzai
    I don't have a scan, but the 1953 Bowman Color of Stan Musial is a beauty!

Well, here is a Baseball Cards Magazine reprint but the image is the same:

Daniel
  • Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't have a scan of one, but the 1994 Stadium Club "93 Award Winner" Frank Thomas where he's putting on eye black. Always liked that card.
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Modern-1994 Fleer Flair Hot Gloves. Die cut, and the vibrant deep orange just jumps out. Vintage-Any 65 Topps, personal favorite set.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    im partial to the pee wee reese, and have never seen that jose.

a buddy actually has and let me see ....drum roll.....'53 PSA 10!!!! ...cmon..winner winner by far.....im very partial to '53s

great thread...these are like lay potato chips..
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2 I can think of off the top of my head are the 52 Bowman Stan Musial and the 91 Bowman Chipper Jones. No pic of the 52 musial.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭
    Mullins already posted one of my favorites, the Gretzky Super Action so am going with my favorite looking wrestling card

with an honorable mention to (tongue only slightly in cheek)

• Options
    I've always liked Bretts' last topps card. They're ahead of the Brewers 4-1 in the bottom of the second,
    Brett is already batting for the second time in the game.

• Options
    That Brett card makes it seem like no one goes to Royals games....which in 1994 may have been true....
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    Love the 91 Bowman chipper jones but nothing can top this :

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mullins, thank you for the chuckle.

FYI I saw your wildfire post. While I am not sure your location, if it's in VA near the Shenandoah I can assist if you need to store anything. I live in the Warrenton VA area and I have a safe, secure room for collectibles.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    One of my favorite "action" cards ever!

"A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
    This is my favorite Jordan on the right and the one on the left isn't too bad either.

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of my favorite early FB rookies,
    Love the color and images in this issue.
  • Options
    James, that's a tremendous photo on that 91 Weiss
  • Options
    1991 Topps has a ton of great images.

• Options
    fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    Here is one of my favs